Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Debian on Virtualbox

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
NewBee

Installing Debian on Virtualbox

#1 Post by NewBee »

Any suggestion on installing Debian on VirtualBox. Any inside tips? Are there any good videos out there?

stevepusser

Re: Installing Debian on Virtualbox

#2 Post by stevepusser »

To build the guest additions in the Debian guest, set up a build environment by installing "module-assistant" and then running in the terminal as root or with sudo:

Code: Select all

m-a prepare
Then "insert" the virtual guest additions ISO into the guest, locate it in /media, and open it up. Then open a terminal there and run as root or with sudo:

Code: Select all

sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
MX Linux packager and developer

phenest

#3 Post by phenest »

It's a pretty vague question but it is very straight forward to do:
1. Start VirtualBox and select New
2. Select Type and Version as appropriate
3. Memory is your call. 1GB is enough but you can increase it anytime after installing
4. Create a virtual hard disk. The size is your call depending on what you're using it for
5. Now it's created, open Settings and insert your Debian ISO in Storage
6. Start the VM and install

After that, it's as stevepusser says, install guest additions. And that's pretty much it.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

As for video's Youtube has a pretty good selection here, although the content and opinions are the uploaders own.

Payload

#5 Post by Payload »

Hey,
I tried Debian in Virtual-Box on my Mac-Book Air before installing it for real. For me, it's pretty easy.
(I am assuming that you are on a 64 bit computer.)
1. Download an iso live image of Debian from debian.org (pick a mirror site that is geographically close to you). Pick the desktop you like (cinnamon, gnome, etc)
2. Open virtual box, click "New", and type the name you want, select "Linux" as type, and select "Debian (64-bit)" as the version. Select "Create a virtual hard disk
now" and click Create.
3. Select the location that you want to put your virtual hard disk in. Then, select the size you want (i did 15 GB). Leave the "hard disk file type" and "dynamically
allocated" as default.
4. Start the virtual machine. A dialog box will pop up shortly after, telling you to load the iso image that you previously downloaded.
5. Follow the guided graphical installation in the iso live image. When you are in the partitioning step, just select "use entire disk". This will utilize all the space in
the virtual hard disk that you created in step 3.