Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Squeeze - Backports - where? gone?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mrkapqa

Re: Debian Squeeze - Backports - where? gone?

#21 Post by mrkapqa »

No_windows wrote:I think there may be a misunderstanding here....... I think the OP want the backports from when Squeeze was current, not new backports to be made.
true, thank you for claryfying this.

mrkapqa

#22 Post by mrkapqa »

sorry to everyone if i assumed wrongly that backports are no more available.

deborah-and-ian

#23 Post by deborah-and-ian »

mrkapqa wrote:2017-04-29 [...]
i just installed Debian Squeeze 32bit on my Macmini 1.1
:(
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

I have to also ask why you insist on using a dead distribution instead of a supported one like Wheezy? Consider that just installing Wheezy would work out of the box, and you wouldn't have to ask the volunteers here to waste their time answering your questions instead of more deserving ones. Are you one of those hipsters that rides your penny-farthing down to the coffee shop and then uses a manual typewriter there?
MX Linux packager and developer

mrkapqa

#25 Post by mrkapqa »

debian squeeze worked best and is best for this computer so far according to my experience; with wheezy, although a great OS ,
it was more difficult and slow, and 64bit installer dvd won't start altogether (the cpu is 64bit now)
i tried lubuntu 12.04 which is great ,
but debian squeeze is just way more appealing and snappy and first and foremost it is rock"stable" meaning i didn't have problems with crashes or problems with kernel after upgrade etc.

one example : the installed voip program that comes out of the box with squeeze just works and quite never failed one me;
after upgrading to wheezy, the same programs quit to work; and installing linphone etc. became a sort of adventure as i had to rely on external ppa to get a proper version. the basic version that wheezy has 3.5.1 has some flaws when setting up account with wizard.

again, i too like progress, but sometimes it just comes not at the right time.

mrkapqa

#26 Post by mrkapqa »

deborah-and-ian wrote:
mrkapqa wrote:2017-04-29 [...]
i just installed Debian Squeeze 32bit on my Macmini 1.1
:(
:)

yah but i like still smiling

mr. schiller from apple quite feels sorry for people having to rely on older computer, which is not my case as i do it out of will, and i happened quite don't agree with him on this, considering the recent evolution in apple osx .

peace in heaven mr. debian

mrkapqa

#27 Post by mrkapqa »

ok, so today i tried with an image i had on dvd

debian wheezy 7.x i386

it is recognized by macmini

but installation stops after downloading the packages over ethernet ... after 13xx packages downloaded it jumps suddenly to 95% and says

"installationsschritt fehlgeschlagen"
eg. a part of the installation has failed. .... failed has ... Software selection and installation (Software auswählen und installieren)

Thanks

Lysander

#28 Post by Lysander »

Could be a hardware incompatibility. I think you're really going to struggle. If I were in your situation I may bite the bullet and just go with Lubuntu/Xubuntu. Both are perfectly good to get what you need done... done.

smoki

#29 Post by smoki »

mrkapqa wrote:ok, so today i tried with an image i had on dvd

debian wheezy 7.x i386

it is recognized by macmini

but installation stops after downloading the packages over ethernet ... after 13xx packages downloaded it jumps suddenly to 95% and says

"installationsschritt fehlgeschlagen"
eg. a part of the installation has failed. .... failed has ... Software selection and installation (Software auswählen und installieren)

Thanks
https://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel#Macmini_1.2C1

Current image should be this one http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... etinst.iso

There is Debian 9 mac-i386 too, so these installers are recommended for you.

There is no reason to use Squeeze, other than if you like original Gnome 2 or Squeeze's out of the box artwork maybe :D If that is the case install Jessie MATE and change artwork, that would feels like almost the same i guess, blah, blah...

Zapper

#30 Post by Zapper »

mrkapqa wrote:debian squeeze worked best and is best for this computer so far according to my experience; with wheezy, although a great OS ,
it was more difficult and slow, and 64bit installer dvd won't start altogether (the cpu is 64bit now)
i tried lubuntu 12.04 which is great ,
but debian squeeze is just way more appealing and snappy and first and foremost it is rock"stable" meaning i didn't have problems with crashes or problems with kernel after upgrade etc.

one example : the installed voip program that comes out of the box with squeeze just works and quite never failed one me;
after upgrading to wheezy, the same programs quit to work; and installing linphone etc. became a sort of adventure as i had to rely on external ppa to get a proper version. the basic version that wheezy has 3.5.1 has some flaws when setting up account with wizard.

again, i too like progress, but sometimes it just comes not at the right time.
It's just a thought but maybe jessie or if you are like me, stretch but install lxde first if you install stretch or you will not have wifi!

mrkapqa

#31 Post by mrkapqa »

Thanks[/quote]

https://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel#Macmini_1.2C1

Current image should be this one http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... etinst.iso

There is Debian 9 mac-i386 too, so these installers are recommended for you.

There is no reason to use Squeeze, other than if you like original Gnome 2 or Squeeze's out of the box artwork maybe :D If that is the case install Jessie MATE and change artwork, that would feels like almost the same i guess, blah, blah...[/quote]

thanks, the link is no more.

i already downloaded and burned the jessie installer/dvd for i386 , but there is an error, either with efi on mac (which is 32.bit) or with the jessie installer, because i just would not start; instead of the solid line ..... Peter Anvin et. al .... or similar , it shows

select cd

and no booting .

Probably the changes with Jessie were too "big" so it does not boot on the older computer anymore.
Updating from wheezy is also quite risky as i remember.
I will try with a Stretch installer and report.