Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why Debian use old Gnome version?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
emil_21

Why Debian use old Gnome version?

#1 Post by emil_21 »

Why Debian 8.7 use Gnome shell 3.14.4? The latest version is 3.24. How can i update gnome shell to the latest or some newer version?

Ardouos

Re: Why Debian use old Gnome version?

#2 Post by Ardouos »

emil_21 wrote:Why Debian 8.7 use Gnome shell 3.14.4? The latest version is 3.24.
That is how Debian works. When Debian is released packages and libraries are the same right until it becomes end of life.

You may need to read up on Debians release cycle about how it works.

Also: One of my favourite posts.
emil_21 wrote: How can i update gnome shell to the latest or some newer version?
You don't. Not without horrifically breaking your stable system. If you suffer from shiney new stuff syndrome you may need to use a distribution that advertises newer packages.

If you would like newer packages, there are backports available.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Lysander

Re: Why Debian use old Gnome version?

#3 Post by Lysander »

What a great post that was. I'm compiling a list of nice ones for my signature area - these are for my own reference as well as others'.