Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[HELP] Debian 7 LXDE doesn't work

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
pierfrancesco

[HELP] Debian 7 LXDE doesn't work

#1 Post by pierfrancesco »

Hi, I was installing Debian 7 LXDE on GSA PC with Pentium 4, and LXDE does not part with the LG Flatron W1943SS monitor, how do I fix it? Radeon R200 Graphics Card [Radeon 9100].

Show bars like those of CRT TVs when I try to startx. Apparently with Debian 6 the problem was there but it did not start for problems, but the log on 7 says there are no problems. He says he terminates the connection with X volountarily.

phenest

Re: [HELP] Debian 7 LXDE doesn't work

#2 Post by phenest »

What about Debian 8? Worth a try.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Radeon_R200_series
2001 - 2003.
hmmm... you might simply be SOL there, i don't think even wheezy's compatibility goes that far back in time.

entering

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -A5 VGA
probably returns 'radeon' as kernel driver in use, yes?
if so, you should try to just use the fallback driver (not sure how this is done nowadays, hopefully someone can chime in).
or maybe there's some other driver for really old ati gpus?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

It was my impression that the free radeon xorg driver included support for quite old hardware--so this might the same old "radeon needs the non-free firmware" issue that's come up here a bazillion times. Try installing this deb package: https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-back ... ux-nonfree

I'm linking the wheezy-backports version in case the OP might upgrade their kernel later, and the backports version is backwards-compatible with the 3.2 stock Wheezy kernel.
MX Linux packager and developer

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

What I should have said then was "What about Debian 3?".

According to the link provided by debiman, it's not supported in Windows past XP.

I'd consider getting a newer video card. Bear in mind though, AGP video card support has ceased with both ATI/AMD and nVidia.

I have an AGP based nVidia 7600GT I bought on eBay for £30 from Hong Kong. Works perfectly and uses the nouveau driver and the legacy nvidia driver too.

pierfrancesco

#6 Post by pierfrancesco »

phenest wrote:What about Debian 8? Worth a try.
Tried out before. Kernel panic.

pierfrancesco

#7 Post by pierfrancesco »

phenest wrote:I'd consider getting a newer video card. Bear in mind though, AGP video card support has ceased with both ATI/AMD and nVidia.

Can't: it's grandma's PC. And, she need it today. Also it's not a PC problem, graphics card neither. Because in X log no errors are listed. Two warnings are about cyrillic and other fonts not found. All rest is just information. How I can make X server start? Thanks in advance.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

i think stevepusser's post had merit.
try that.

phenest

#9 Post by phenest »

pierfrancesco wrote:Also it's not a PC problem, graphics card neither.
I never said it was a PC problem. What I'm saying is, that the system sounds a little dated and needs upgrading if it's to be usable into the future. Otherwise, you're going to be using old, unsupported OS's, in order to get that PC to function correctly.