Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mdadm: efficient conversion of raid0 to raid6

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mdjurfeldt

mdadm: efficient conversion of raid0 to raid6

#1 Post by mdjurfeldt »

I have an mdadm raid0 array consisting of two disks and want to convert it to a four disk raid6 array.

I can of course do this in two steps, first going from raid0 to raid5 while adding one disk, and then going from raid5 to raid6. But that means two reshape operations. Is it possible to do this with only one reshape? I'm thinking about something like:

Code: Select all

mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 --layout=parity-last --add /dev/sdc # no reshape here
mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --level=6 --raid-devices=4 --layout=left-symmetric --backup-file=<BUP> --add /dev/sdd
More generally: Is there somewhere to read about the rules for possible level/layout changes? I (think I) couldn't answer this question from reading the mdadm man page or the kernel raid wiki.