Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to update only a program from a different repository?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
freespirit

how to update only a program from a different repository?

#1 Post by freespirit »

i'm running stretch but i wanna use the latest firefox version, so i followed this https://mozilla.debian.net/ adding this repository and installing latest firefox version then i've put an # before experimental repository for dont break my debian with a daily full upgrade, but i'd like to know if there is a way for setting my system to use the experimental repository for update only firefox when i " apt update && apt dist-upgrade" without have to manually edit the sources file when a newer firefox version is released

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: how to update only a program from a different repository

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

Nothing will upgrade to experimental unless you explicitly ask for it.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

freespirit

#4 Post by freespirit »

so i dont need to comment the experimental repository on sources list as i understood

but is still possible make it possible to update just firefox when i just dist-upgrade or not?
if the pinning works this procedure is correct?

make a new file /etc/apt/preferences with inside this

Code: Select all

Package: firefox
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 900
or i have to do something else?

the final purpose when apt dist-upgrade is to stay with stretch but not for firefox, i'd like to automatically download the latest version

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#5 Post by 4D696B65 »

freespirit wrote:so i dont need to comment the experimental repository on sources list as i understood

but is still possible make it possible to update just firefox when i just dist-upgrade or not?

That is correct while stretch is testing.
freespirit wrote:the final purpose when apt dist-upgrade is to stay with stretch but not for firefox, i'd like to automatically download the latest version
No, when stretch becomes stable you may need to get firefox from backports not experimental.

freespirit

#6 Post by freespirit »

4D696B65 wrote:
freespirit wrote:so i dont need to comment the experimental repository on sources list as i understood

That is correct while stretch is testing.
freespirit wrote:the final purpose when apt dist-upgrade is to stay with stretch but not for firefox, i'd like to automatically download the latest version
No, when stretch becomes stable you may need to get firefox from backports not experimental.
i've read stretch will be stable soon, then i think i will wait for the backports, when backports will be avalaible i just need to add to sources.list, then firefox will be automatically updated or i have to set up something else?
actually my firefox version is from experimental repos, when backports will be available do you suggest to me to unistall it before to update from backports or just update when the newer version will be avalaible on the backports repos?