Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debootstrap error

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
honest_new-b

Debootstrap error

#1 Post by honest_new-b »

Hello, I'm trying to install Debian for the first time and after getting to the "Install the base system" part I get a Debootstrap error. When I try to preform the installation I get the error "Failed to determine the codename for the release.". If it's any help, I'm trying to do a Unetinboot install from a SanDisk Cruzer USB drive.

Thanks.

TobiSGD

Re: Debootstrap error

#2 Post by TobiSGD »

Don't use Unetbootin. Use dd (Linux/UNIX) or win32 image writer (Windows) to directly write the ISO image to the USB device.

Illuminated

#3 Post by Illuminated »

I ran into this same problem. I used unetbootin to create the image on a USB thumb drive.

unetbootin was not the problem. The problem was related to the media not being mounted under /cdrom

I had to manually mount the usb to /cdrom and when I retried the install, I was able to get past the "bootstrap error".

I did this by hitting alt-f2 and then
mount /dev/sdc1 /cdrom
then alt-f1 to get back to the install

The device for the usb drive may vary. For me it was /dev/sdc1.

I have no idea why the installer isn't smart enough to know to either mount the install media in /cdrom itself of look for it in /target/media/cdrom where it already had it mounted.

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

Illuminated wrote:I ran into this same problem. I used unetbootin to create the image on a USB thumb drive.

unetbootin was not the problem. The problem was related to the media not being mounted under /cdrom

I had to manually mount the usb to /cdrom and when I retried the install, I was able to get past the "bootstrap error".

mount /dev/sdc1 /cdrom

I have no idea why the installer isn't smart enough to know to either mount the install media in /cdrom itself of look for it in /target/media/cdrom where it already had it mounted.
very inte4resting
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Byakko

#5 Post by Byakko »

Thank you very much for this answer, it helped me go through the installation !

I think the USB connection was dropped for some reason during the very very long cleaning process (LVM encrypted).

abladelnx

#6 Post by abladelnx »

Illuminated wrote:I ran into this same problem. I used unetbootin to create the image on a USB thumb drive.

mount /dev/sdc1 /cdrom

Thank you. This works perfectly. Must say that I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed in the interim though!

beefes

#7 Post by beefes »

Thanks. Worked like a charm.

bbbf0621

#8 Post by bbbf0621 »

Thank you! this fixed my problem too, hope it'll be fixed in next update :D

milomak

#9 Post by milomak »

am i to believe that the installer doesn't know to identify that it is being installed via usb?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

TobiSGD wrote:Don't use Unetbootin. Use dd (Linux/UNIX) or win32 image writer (Windows) to directly write the ISO image to the USB device.
+1
Illuminated »unetbootin was not the problem.
Usually it does not work with unebootin, that is the problem.
From:https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=775689Unetbootin is wasting massive amounts of developer and user time. :-(

Please add:

* An entry in the Debian package description to say "Do not use
unetbootin for Debian CD images, just write them raw using dd" or
similar.

The installer is fine, but when people do not read manuals on how to use it, this is where the problems start.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

https://wiki.debian.org/BootUsb
If one does go through the Debian Documentation, ( I have), and I have not ever been able to find any where that they suggest or recommend using "unebootin".
These are good places to start, before trying to install,
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/sta ... on-methods

https://debian-handbook.info/browse/sta ... steps.html

spacex

#11 Post by spacex »

Garry. Stop throwing all that documentation at people. The problem was solved, and unetbootin was not the issue in this case. Just accept it and move on. Your latest post was redundant. You don't need to defend your answer just because someone chooses to fix their issue in another way. Whatever works, works. Easy as that. You can never argue with results. :)

dzz

#12 Post by dzz »

This issue has been discussed here and solved, at least for wheezy, already. You don't have to trash your nicely customized 64GB multiboot sandisk cruzer with dd. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=75604

Here's the documentation everyone missed (which, like "unetbootin", uses syslinux not dd): https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... y-flexible

kellt

#13 Post by kellt »

I had same problem installing jessie on a laptop, I'd left the installer alone for several hours and the cdrom had unmounted itself somehow. When I plugged it back in, it came up as sr1, instead of sr0. Then this error. Mounting the DVD to /cdrom fixed the issue.

jkbgbr

#14 Post by jkbgbr »

The problem still exists on a Thinkpad x61 when installing jesse from USB written using Etchy. The workaround is effective, however, as a first-time linux installing user I find it _very_ annoying to have to deal with a such a problem in 2017!

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

jkbgbr wrote:as a first-time linux installing user I find it _very_ annoying to have to deal with a such a problem in 2017!
As a long-time forum member, I find it _very_ annoying when the n00bs don't even bother to read TFM...

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... -isohybrid

EDIT: welcome to the forums! :mrgreen:
deadbang

simankov

#16 Post by simankov »

Thank you!

iamianthomas

#17 Post by iamianthomas »

Byakko wrote:Thank you very much for this answer, it helped me go through the installation !

I think the USB connection was dropped for some reason during the very very long cleaning process (LVM encrypted).

Thank you too. Man this is amazing. I always have trouble with this.

DrJosh9000

#18 Post by DrJosh9000 »

Illuminated wrote: mount /dev/sdc1 /cdrom
Thanks so much!
This just happened to me with a USB stick I prepared using good old dd, so I think there is a bug in there.
Also +1 to it happening at some point during writing noise to the disk.

mohsh86

#19 Post by mohsh86 »

Debian 9 got the same thing, tried both Etcher and Win32Disk Imager as well as unetbootin

biochemistrygmcs

#20 Post by biochemistrygmcs »

I got this error when installed from live CD with no internet.
my USB drive as mounted on /cdrom, dispite this I had the problem.
When connected with INTERNET, Installation proceeded. (But faced no root login, no display manager etc.)