Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

issue with installing debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
tardis

issue with installing debian

#1 Post by tardis »

hi guys so sorry if i didnt make a correct topic in the right place or something :D . well i have a weird issue with installing debian on my laptop. the model is hp probook 4540s ( which is using switchable graphics) . the issue that i am having is called something like scrambled screen. i didnt find any source for this issue on debian but i saw something which was for ubuntu. the issue seems to be existing on every debian ver8 or higher when i try to enter graphical installer or even the normal installer.

[img]http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00879/dg4vbpafjesr.jpg
[/img]
[img]http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00879/3g4mkxl63mgu.jpg
[/img]

At first, i thought it might be from the switchable graphics but it had no difference with disabling the second graphics.
i tried to switch the boot mode from uefi to legacy but still the same.
after some research i just found some bug report about this issue ( which unfortunatly not solved :) ) and some one had the same issue on a lenovo device.
i think it should be from the graphics because the keys work on installer and only the screen is not showing things properly.
i thought i could do something with the console but when i try to access console ( using ctrl+alt+f1 to f5) :
[img]http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00879/aoz2fvwtxsug.jpg
[/img]

[img]http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00879/zj49e20kq082.jpg
[/img]

so, what do u think? can i solve this ? :?

phenest

Re: issue with installing debian

#2 Post by phenest »

ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

tardis

#3 Post by tardis »

sorry if i did respond too late :) ! thanks i will look into links if the problem gets solved i'll notice u.

edbarx

#4 Post by edbarx »

I have the same exact notebook computer which exhibited a scrambled display when I tried to install both Debian and Devuan. Screen scrambling still occurs as soon as the Linux kernel boots, although Windows 8.1 does not exhibit any similar problems. I do not remember what workaround I used, as I have been using several workarounds to install Linux these last years. Probably, I used debootstrap running from within a live Ubuntu or Debian instance. Even Devuan made installation difficult with the 'infamous' disk formatter obliging me to use LVM which I refused.

An archive containing the directory tree and contents of the entire base system as installed by debootstrap plus a basic /etc/network/interfaces and a password set for root , would be most welcome, but don't expect that to happen. Linux relies on installers, and the latter rely on properly initialised/identified hardware.

Lately, I was told to buy an asus laptop for their Linux support. However, their decision to solder part of the RAM to the motherboard, is something I want to get away from. RAM has the bad habit of failing before a motherboard or CPU fails.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

tardis

#5 Post by tardis »

thanks i tried the commands for nomodeset ( with all possibilities) but had no success. i dont know what's wrong.
edbarx wrote:I have the same exact notebook computer which exhibited a scrambled display when I tried to install both Debian and Devuan. Screen scrambling still occurs as soon as the Linux kernel boots, although Windows 8.1 does not exhibit any similar problems. I do not remember what workaround I used, as I have been using several workarounds to install Linux these last years. Probably, I used debootstrap running from within a live Ubuntu or Debian instance. Even Devuan made installation difficult with the 'infamous' disk formatter obliging me to use LVM which I refused.

An archive containing the directory tree and contents of the entire base system as installed by debootstrap plus a basic /etc/network/interfaces and a password set for root , would be most welcome, but don't expect that to happen. Linux relies on installers, and the latter rely on properly initialised/identified hardware.

Lately, I was told to buy an asus laptop for their Linux support. However, their decision to solder part of the RAM to the motherboard, is something I want to get away from. RAM has the bad habit of failing before a motherboard or CPU fails.

so u mean that there is no other way rather than using debootstrap?