Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Edit a tag on Debian wnpp

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
fred barclay

Edit a tag on Debian wnpp

#1 Post by fred barclay »

G'day mates,
(This is my first time trying to maintain a package for Debian... so beware my ignorance!)

I'd like to see the `mintstick` program in Debian, which is currently listed as rfp on https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable. I feel like this is a good first package for me to try and maintain, since it's simple and I really enjoy using it.

After reading https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFa ... package.3F and a lot of https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/, I think that my first task is to change the tag from rfp to itp on the bugtracker. I'm having trouble trying to do that, though. From reading https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ I've run "reportbug wnpp", said that my report was an ITP when reportbug asked, written a reply (and accidentally submitted it)... the one thing I can't figure out how to actually do is edit the tag! The only options for tag editing that reportbug gives me are:

Code: Select all

patch             You are including a patch to fix this problem.
lfs               This bug affects support for large files (over 2 gigabytes).
ipv6            This bug affects support for Internet Protocol version 6.
upstream     This bug applies to the upstream part of the package.
d-i              This bug is relevant to the development of debian-installer.
l10n            This bug reports a localisation/internationalisation issue.
newcomer   This bug has a known solution but the maintainer requests someone else implement it.
ITP is nowhere to be seen, so I must be doing something wrong.

Could someone please help me understand what to do? I would really appreciate it!
Cheers!
Fred

phenest

Re: Edit a tag on Debian wnpp

#2 Post by phenest »

fred barclay wrote:I'd like to see the `mintstick` program in Debian

I know this doesn't answer your question, 'cos I don't know the answer. But... why do you want to maintain a Linux Mint package in Debian? Debian already has all the tools necessary for formatting USB drives. If users can't manage to use the tools provided with Debian, then they should use Linux Mint instead. Otherwise, you're just turning Debian into Linux Mint.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

pendrachken

#3 Post by pendrachken »

phenest wrote:
fred barclay wrote:I'd like to see the `mintstick` program in Debian

I know this doesn't answer your question, 'cos I don't know the answer. BLAH BLAH BLAH

Then STFU. Tools are tools, it does not matter where they come from. Hell 99.9% of Debian didn't come from Debian, it is all from upstream or sidestream.

ITP is nowhere to be seen, so I must be doing something wrong.
That isn't a general BTS tag. It has to be applied to the wnpp metapackage bug report on submission.

There are two options I can see, and asking on the mailing lists would probably get you the best answer for proper user guidelines. You can either close the current bug through the BTS and file a now Intent to Package correctly, OR you can email the maintainers for the WNPP list and have them grab the bug for you.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

fred barclay

#4 Post by fred barclay »

phenest wrote:But... why do you want to maintain a Linux Mint package in Debian? Debian already has all the tools necessary for formatting USB drives. If users can't manage to use the tools provided with Debian, then they should use Linux Mint instead. Otherwise, you're just turning Debian into Linux Mint.
Because (a). it's useful to me and (b). it's useful to other people (see the existing request to package). ;)
Of course Debian already has the necessary tools, but there's nothing wrong with having an additional option (and one that's more convenient for desktop use, IMHO). Besides, adding this Linux Mint tool isn't turning Debian into Mint, any more than offering the Cinnamon desktop does.

fred barclay

#5 Post by fred barclay »

@pendrachken,
Thanks for a super-helpful reply!
pendrachken wrote: That isn't a general BTS tag. It has to be applied to the wnpp metapackage bug report on submission.
I guess this is the source of my confusion. My understanding according to https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFa ... package.3F is
2. If it's not already listed, file an ITP bug report against WNPP as detailed by section 5.1 of the developer's reference. If it's already listed as an RFP, retitle the bug as an ITP (see the BTS manipulation manual).
Since it already is rfp, I was thinking that I had to retitle it, not close/reopen it.
If this is in fact correct, based on my understanding I should send an email to control@bugs.debian.org with the following content:

Code: Select all

retitle 732647 ITP: mintstick -- USB stick formatter
Is that correct?

asking on the mailing lists would probably get you the best answer for proper user guidelines.
Question: which mailing list would that be?
Can I literally just compose an email in Thunderbird and send it to that mailing list or do I go about it another way?
You can either close the current bug through the BTS and file a now Intent to Package correctly
I think I see how to do this... but do they actually let just anyone (aka myself) close bugs? :?

I'm sorry - I've been using Debian or a close relative for over two years now, and I know how to make a .deb, but I don't have any experience in actually maintaining a package for Debian. I hope this isn't frustrating for you. :)

pendrachken

#6 Post by pendrachken »

Closing bugs: I think you can close your own. Don't quote me on that though, I haven't had to interact with the BTS in many years.

As far as I read though, you should file the bug against the WNPP meta-package, and include both the tag ITP, and what the actual package you intend to package is. I have never packaged software for distribution through the Debian repos so can't tell you what else to do. You should also be willing to repackage / backport updates for a long time, not package once and then abandon ( and remember that this will take a reasonable amount of effort for quite some time ).

You may want to PM stevepusser, he packages quite a few things form MX15/16 and has a lot of backported software on the suse openbuild servers. He knows more about the ins and outs of the Debian build scripts and versioning than I would ever want to :lol: .
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P