Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thunderbird became useless with Google.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
VentGrey

Thunderbird became useless with Google.

#1 Post by VentGrey »

It seems that the new sign in page from google killed thunderbird's way of logging in, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1158453
this bug report does not help at all since it is fixed until Version 52.1 while we are on 45. Has anyone discovered a workaround for this bug? :c darn ESR versions.
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

debiman

Re: Thunderbird became useless with Google.

#2 Post by debiman »

VentGrey wrote:It seems that the new sign in page from google killed thunderbird's way of logging in
that thread is about initial account setup on TB, not daily login.
i have seen this complaint before; the only problem i see is that maybe you have to separately open a browser window when you initially set up your account. it has no effect on checking mail.

in other words, FUD through ignorance.

in thunderbird (versions? all up until 52.1.0) (and any other email client) i have always set up my (existing) gmail accounts as i would set up any other IMAP account, i.e. no "google sign-in window".
i don't see why that shouldn't be possible anymore.
checking mail is no different than with other providers.

that said, it is clear where google are going with their customers and i am phasing out my very last google account.

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

I just downloaded the latest version from Mozilla site extracted it and everything worked, Iknow this might not really fit completely with the debian system but as I did not install anything (simply extracted tar file to home folder and created desktop link) I could remove it just as easily when the current version is made to work. I found this problem a few days ago after a fresh install. alternatively you can just use this method to set-up your account and then use the repo version for usual activities as I think it is only the initial configuration where this is a problem.

acewiza

#4 Post by acewiza »

Thanks for reminding me to get my regularly scheduled gmail offload into icedove.

I like Gmail, but they are allowed access to only about a week's worth of my content at a time.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

Use Kmail, its really amazing how it works in background, I use gmail IMAP, from long with kmail (kontact). so far best client linux mail without any dude.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

VentGrey

#6 Post by VentGrey »

Kmail drags a lot of dependencies :c (Without any dude? do I need people to run it? o,o)

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

VentGrey wrote:Kmail drags a lot of dependencies :c (Without any dude? do I need people to run it? o,o)
Here, you have available several portable versions, pick the one that works for you (Zero dependecies :lol: )
https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/Thunderbird#files

I'm using from this web firefox-esr, as i'had got some rendering issues with the one from debian's repos. Its very usefull theses portable apps..
:o
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

acewiza

#8 Post by acewiza »

acewiza wrote:Thanks for reminding me to get my regularly scheduled gmail offload into icedove.
I rarely quote myself, but it seemed appropriate for this: Only just this morning I was pleasantly surprised by the update enabling Thunderbird to seamlessly re-integrate itself and bump Icedove off the menu.

Looks like another job well done by the Debian crew. :D
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

sgian

#9 Post by sgian »

EDITED: As for setting up gmail with Thunderbird, you need to get a special 16 digit app password from your google settings if you use 2 step verification like me. Here is an explanation from google with a link to drop down instructions. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

sgian wrote:EDITED: As for setting up gmail with Thunderbird, you need to get a special 16 digit app password from your google settings if you use 2 step verification like me. Here is an explanation from google with a link to drop down instructions. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en
sgian, can you please confirm that this only applies to initial account setup, and not to logging in?
so it has to be done only once, and can be achieved by using a browser for that one step?

sgian

#11 Post by sgian »

Yes, with 2-step authentication, the app password is only done once for each app that you give access to, and it is done through a browser.

1. So one signs into their google account through a browser, click on the avatar in the top right of the google search page, then click on "My Account".
2. The next page (as of today) has a "Sign-in and security" section on the left, and click on "Signing in to Google".
3. The next page for "Signing in to Google" has various options, like changing your password, turning off 2-Step Verification, or getting App passwords.
4. Click on "App passwords" and it makes you sign in again to verify it is you. Then click "Select app" and in the drop down select "Mail"
5. Click "Select device" and give your computer a name that you will recognize.
6. Then click "Generate" and you will get a long 16 digit password. Select and copy that password.
7. Now open Thunderbird and use the new email account wizard and paste that 16 digit password into the password box, make sure you have thunderbird save that password or you will have to do this all over again. If the Thunderbird account is already made, then open the settings in Thunderbird, find the password, and paste the 16 digit password there making sure Thunderbird saves it.

If everything is done correctly, then you will not have to sign in again whenever you open Thunderbird. As for why it has to be so complicated, it definitely is annoying and it took me a lot of "googling" to figure it out lol.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

thanks for clarifying (i think... :? ).
sgian wrote:As for why it has to be so complicated
...it is because google think they have the right & authority to define what is safe and what isn't - always conveniently not telling their users that they are, in fact, the the product, not the customer.

after all, google is a marketing & advertising company.

acewiza

#13 Post by acewiza »

Despite being a bit "complicated," for the typical user, Google's app password process is actually good way of doing this type thing. It is certainly no panacea from a security standpoint, but at least enforces a strong password that is not otherwise accessible and needing to be remembered and re-typed all the time.

Lysander

#14 Post by Lysander »

Dai_trying wrote:I just downloaded the latest version from Mozilla site extracted it and everything worked, Iknow this might not really fit completely with the debian system but as I did not install anything (simply extracted tar file to home folder and created desktop link) I could remove it just as easily when the current version is made to work. I found this problem a few days ago after a fresh install. alternatively you can just use this method to set-up your account and then use the repo version for usual activities as I think it is only the initial configuration where this is a problem.
Thanks for this. Version 45 of TB does not like the new Gmail sign in process and keeps freezing on login. Using version 52 as per your method worked for me.

I am currently also phasing out my personal Gmail account and transferring all mails over to Kolab through IMAP. When this process is completed successfully I will simply delete TB in the home folder.

Dai_trying

#15 Post by Dai_trying »

You're welcome :)

VentGrey

#16 Post by VentGrey »

As I said in another post, just enter your credentials, wait for it to fail, press the edit button and set the authentication mode to auto, it should be working. :mrgreen: