Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RAID 5 Debian installation with GPT GRUB2?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
borja

RAID 5 Debian installation with GPT GRUB2?

#1 Post by borja »

I'm trying to install Debian over 3x4TB RAID5 dev created during installation.

I read about GRUB is supporting now GPT and RAID5 configurations. But have many problems. I created partitions in disks but can't set bootable flag, i think this is the expected behaviour, because is GPT partition and can't create msdos partition due to the limit of 2TB. So i have to proceed without setting bootable flag in physical partition for raid created on each disk.

I created RAID 5 device using 3 partitions and format to ext4 filesystem, installed system over it. No problems with this. But it fails during grub installation and i have to cancel it.

So its not possible to do this? I need a non raid second device to install /boot and grub for booting the raid 5 device like a USB drive or something?

Thanks.

borja

Re: RAID 5 Debian installation with GPT GRUB2?

#2 Post by borja »

I left 1GB free space at start of each disk to install GRUB on each disk after installation. Not sure about this will work. My plan is debian installer install grub on one of the disks and after botting the system install the same grub in other disks.

phenest

#3 Post by phenest »

1. How is RAID configured? Software or hardware?
2. Have you got EFI booting enabled in the BIOS?
3. You only require 1 EFI System Partition, approx 100MB, if it's for just Debian. And install GRUB once.
4. Bootable flag is irrelevant.
5. That's all I can think of for now.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

borja

#4 Post by borja »

phenest wrote:1. How is RAID configured? Software or hardware?
2. Have you got EFI booting enabled in the BIOS?
3. You only require 1 EFI System Partition, approx 100MB, if it's for just Debian. And install GRUB once.
4. Bootable flag is irrelevant.
5. That's all I can think of for now.
Hi, sorry for the delay.

1. Raid is software RAID
2. I had dual boting enabled but changed to legacy. Not sure if i did right.
3. When i try to install boot in physical partitions for raid it fails. I tried to install in a USB drive (ext4 formatted) and it also fails. I had installation on pause in last step (install grub) and not sure how can i resolve this.

I have to create a EFI partition on USB drive to install GRUB? Can't use GPT partitions without EFI enabled?

Thanks

borja

#5 Post by borja »

Now i have:

3x4TB disks with 3.9TB partitions: physical partition for raid and 100GB free on each disk
I have a raid5 device on top of these disks using the three partitions mentioned above.

I installed debian on raid device without problem, im in last step, install grub for booting. It fails again and again. I have UEFI boot disabled from BIOS.

I tried to install on each disk, I also tried to install in usb-disk. Not sure what to do now....

Thanks

borja

#6 Post by borja »

Im reinstalling everything in UEFI mode. I recreated partitions and include EFI partitions on each disk...