Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Fresh inst of Debian,problems with Nvidia cards?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
wxckol

[SOLVED]Fresh inst of Debian,problems with Nvidia cards?

#1 Post by wxckol »

EDIT. Now the problem it is solved, and it wasnt at all what i thought in my original message (that you can see below). My issue was that Debian (in its official iso with non free firmwares unsupported) did not recognize my Nvidia Card, so what i did: Ive downloaded a new iso of debian. If you are using a UEFI system download the 8.8.0+nonfree version (netinstall. This mean you will need an internet connection during the installation), if not you can choose the second option, the 8.8.0 live + nonfree version (which doesn't need an internet connection). For the two version you can look here: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

Further specification on how ive solved this little problem can be found on this topic. Cheers.

- Original message:

Hi all, this is my first post here, so i'll get the chance to salute everybody 8) My name is Wxc.
Here i am, facing a problem on my very first boot of debian on a dual boot system, along side with a win10, Uefi. The issue is the following, appears on the loading screen of the os and it doesnt allow me to boot onto the debian:

Code: Select all

rtl8821ae 0000:03:00.0: Firmware: failed to load rtlwifi/rtl8821aefw.bin (-2)
After some search i know that this is a problem regarding some missing firmware who's about my net card, i wasn't able to locate the right package though, because (as far as my understanding can) i found that the package firmware-realtek doesn't contain the right stuff for me. So my questions are basically two: Which is the package i should give to the system to make it properly start? And question two, how do i do that (knowing that neither the normal boot nor the recovery mode gives me access to anything and remain stucked on that boot black screen, playing the message i wrote before)?

Thank you all, have a good day guys,
and let there be more light :twisted:

Edit to the questions: (...) or, is there a way i can follow to let the system ignore this issue and continue to boot? Im searching on the debian package, i can't found anything that contains this rtlwifi rt8821aefw.bin. But maybe, of course, it's my lack of will again. Well, hope you do better then. Thank you again.
Last edited by wxckol on 2017-05-11 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
-
Disce pati si vincere voles
-
Intel Core i3 4350T @ 3.10GHz - 4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz -
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K31ADE - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)

-

Ardouos

Re: Fresh install of Debian, doesn't boot for missing firmwa

#2 Post by Ardouos »

If you want more help, please post your Debian version and what computer/ hardware you are running.

Also:
wxckol wrote:

Code: Select all

rt18821ae 0000:03:00.0: Firmware: failed to load rtlwifi/rt18821aefw.bin (-2)
Is rt1 correct? Or do you mean rtl?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

wxckol

#3 Post by wxckol »

Yes my mistake, its in fact rtl8821ae, i will edit my first post. Sorry about that and thank you for your answer.
Here are the specs of my pc:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core i3 4350T @ 3.10GHz
4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K31ADE
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)
-
-
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K31ADE - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)

-

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

wxckol wrote:Im searching on the debian package, i can't found anything that contains this rtlwifi rt8821aefw.bin. But maybe, of course, it's my lack of will again.
Maybe it is lack of will. Appearently your card is supported according to the package information.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/firmware-realtek

This package contains the binary firmware for some Ethernet adapters with the RTL8111/RTL8168 chips supported by the r8169 driver; and wireless network cards with the RTL8188, RTL8192, RTL8712, RTL8723 and RTL8821 chips supported by the r8192_pci, r8192s_usb, r8712u, rtl8188eu, rtl8192ce, rtl8192cu, rtl8192de, rtl8192se, rtl8723ae, rtl8723au, rtl8723be and rtl8821ae drivers.

Contents:

Realtek RTL8821AE firmware (rtlwifi/rtl8821aefw.bin)
Is the card a Wireless chipset?
If so, does it work when you boot up?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

wxckol

#5 Post by wxckol »

OK, so the first part is going well. Still I can't figure out how to install that package on a operative system who doesn't want to start in the normal way, neither in recovery mode. Could you explain that to me? Should I do that from a live CD?

Thank you, and sorry for the bad info.

Edit. Answer to your lines added. It is a WiFi chips et, but actually I don't really need it working, because I connect trough cable. However, I'm not able to check it out, because the system doesn't boot at all and it stucks to the boot screen (black background, white text) and to the message of the missing firmware.
-
-

-

Ardouos

#6 Post by Ardouos »

wxckol wrote:OK, so the first part is going well. Still I can't figure out how to install that package on a operative system who doesn't want to start in the normal way.
Do you get a graphical environment? Or a black and white cursor.
Last edited by Ardouos on 2017-05-10 13:26, edited 2 times in total.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

wxckol

#7 Post by wxckol »

Nothing at all, just the normal boot screen up.
-
-

-

Ardouos

#8 Post by Ardouos »

wxckol wrote:Nothing at all, just the normal boot screen up.
I cannot help you unless you provide more information, a "normal" bootup screen can mean anything to different people.

Is a normal bootup screen:
Windows 10 launching?
A TTY?
A Linux Display Manager: GDM for example?

Is this Debian 8 that you are installing? What packages did you install on the software selection screen?

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Ardouos

#9 Post by Ardouos »

wxckol wrote:because the system doesn't boot at all and it stucks to the boot screen (black background, white text) and to the message of the missing firmware.
It seems like that your system does not have a graphical environment installed, or you do not have the correct graphics drivers installed.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

wxckol

#10 Post by wxckol »

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... =0&PC=MOZB

That is what i mean for a boot up screen (don't count on the text of the image because I've just searched the Internet to give an example). In my case, after the first two lines concerning the check-in of the partitions on the computer it appears the line of the missing firmware (as I wrote it on the starting post), and it freezes there, nothing happens. If I try the recovery mode, same thing.
-
-

-

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Missing Wi-Fi firmware will not prevent you from starting a GUI. You just see the message because it's the last one to appear before the failure, not because it is to blame for it.

Jessie's open video driver might be too old to support your hardware. I can't say without some more information, but the fact that you have a win10 machine would support that hypothesis.
MX Linux packager and developer

wxckol

#12 Post by wxckol »

Ardouos wrote:
wxckol wrote:because the system doesn't boot at all and it stucks to the boot screen (black background, white text) and to the message of the missing firmware.
It seems like that your system does not have a graphical environment installed, or you do not have the correct graphics drivers installed.
How is it? I've just installed it and everything runned smoothly during the installation.
Last edited by wxckol on 2017-05-10 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
-
-

-

wxckol

#13 Post by wxckol »

stevepusser wrote:Missing Wi-Fi firmware will not prevent you from starting a GUI. You just see the message because it's the last one to appear before the failure, not because it is to blame for it.

Jessie's open video driver might be too old to support your hardware. I can't say without some more information, but the fact that you have a win10 machine would support that hypothesis.
What should I do then, knowing that I have no access to the system, not even a command line?
-
-

-

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

You have a fourth-generation Intel CPU, so the integrated graphics of that chip should work with Jessie out of the box. Can you find the option in your machine's setup utility to switch those graphics on and use those temporarily to get to the GUI? (May also require opening the machine and removing the Nvidia card--try with it in there to start with)

After you get the Intel graphics working, you could try installing the Nvidia proprietary driver from the non-free section of the Debian repo to get that hardware enabled, then switch back to it. It may also require the driver from jessie-backports; nvidia-check (see the wiki) should tell you if that's necessary.

wxckol

#15 Post by wxckol »

Hi steve (and all), so... some news. Unfortunately your method didn't work for me (i've just removed the nvidia graphic card and tried to boot without): the boot just freezed like it used to, when it used to. No way to getting it flowing.
So, what i tried to next, it was to download a cd image of debian with his iso + non free firmware in it. The issue is that at some point of the installation the installer doesn't see the windows operating system and asks me to select an hd (not a partition) to install GRUB (which i do having only one hard drive), i select that hd, it does seem to intall GRUB to make debian bootable, then the installation run smoothly and correctly finish. But then when i power on the pc Debian just isn't an option, like it were with the previous installation, and windows start normally, like if they weren't two operative system in the pc. :roll: And if i select from the boot menu the debian voice what appears next is just a black screen playing these words:

Grub rescue mode
error: unknown filesystem
grub>

Thank you all for your support
-
-

-

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Have you been able to get into the machine's setup utility ( I found the machine's user manual online, and they still call it the BIOS) to see if there's a switch to turn on the integrated graphics? Do you have any manual for the machine or motherboard that tells you how to do so? Usually it's a key or key combo that you have to press during the first few seconds after powering on. Edit: the manual says it's the [Del] key.

This link may help: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/switch-o ... 53059.html

Another suggestion is to try a Debian derivative that tries to make things easier for the beginner, just to see if their Live ISO can get to a desktop. One that I help with is MX Linux (use 64-bit for your machine). Other good ones include SolydXK, antiX or Bunsen Labs for very lightweight systems, or Mint LMDE. The standard Mint version is based on Ubuntu, so has diverged further from Debian, but is still a popular choice.

wxckol

#17 Post by wxckol »

stevepusser wrote:Have you been able to get into the machine's setup utility ( I found the machine's user manual online, and they still call it the BIOS) to see if there's a switch to turn on the integrated graphics?
No, actually i didnt, as i said i went directly to detaching the graphic card of my pc, but that didn't work. Thank you for the link though, now i know something more about my pc.
Another thing, i read somewhere that the live debian plus non free firmware iso image, could not work with uefi; is that a clue? Should i try to download a new non live + non free firmware (netinstallation) image of debian and give it a chance?
Another suggestion is to try a Debian derivative that tries to make things easier for the beginner, just to see if their Live ISO can get to a desktop. One that I help with is MX Linux (use 64-bit for your machine). Other good ones include SolydXK, antiX or Bunsen Labs for very lightweight systems, or Mint LMDE. The standard Mint version is based on Ubuntu, so has diverged further from Debian, but is still a popular choice.
Well i could, but i just can't accept not even being able to make a debian clean installation working properly. I was smarter than that, i just need some times to refresh my synapsis about all this stuff. Im not telling that im an expert user or something, not even closer, but hey, i used to got a pretty flowing mind some time ago :D So, come on, like the song said: "with a little help from my friends". Im sure we can do this.
-
-

-

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

Well, yes, the Live version of Debian Jessie indeed will not work to install with your UEFI computer...I do not see where you said earlier in this thread that that is what you were trying to install from. I know that at least the MX 16-x64 live image is compatible with UEFI.

OK, you can download a regular Debian installer iso image (UEFI compatible) which also contains the non-free firmware--a websearch for those terms will turn it up quickly. Let's see if that's the root of your problem.

wxckol

#19 Post by wxckol »

Well, the debian image + non free stuff from which i made a live usb stick was taken from this link:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/
Precisely i selected the second option, so "8.8.0-live+nonfree/", which guided us to the "unknown filesystem" error. So now, if i am correct, i will choose the first image of that link, which in fact is the netinst of debian i was talking about.
Beside this, i could not find any official debian's iso which include all the non free stuff: i presume that a version like does not exist at all (because, always if i am right, debian chose to exclude all of that stuff in his later releases).
Win32diskimager just finished his job with the 8.8.0 Debian iso + nonfree, so i'm going with the installation of that now, thank you, and talk you soon (let's hope i'll write the next post from Debian).

Ps. I didn't know the Mx distribution of linux, after i finish with debian, maybe i'll give it a try (i've some more free space on my hd). I also wanted to taste some arch based distribution (because i think that archlinux is really way too far from my actual knowledge), do you have any suggestions?
-
-

-

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar ... ns#Desktop

I've heard a lot of good reports about Manjaro and Antergos, and I'm sure that many of those others are also good.