Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can I run the example script in Debian?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pedro_s

#1 Post by pedro_s »

I have collected example script from debian 8.5 software repository,
and wrote bash script to run it.
Result is at http://pdscript.com/p/debian/example/Computer/index.htm
Bash script is at http://pdscript.com/p/debian/example/bash/index.htm
Example script from debian 8.5 software repository is at:
/usr/share/aqsis/examples/features/
/usr/share/doc/ats-lang-anairiats-examples/examples/
/usr/share/confluence/
/usr/share/doc/contextfree/examples/
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdevelop/reference/C/
/usr/share/doc/gri/examples/
/usr/share/doc/iverilog/examples/
/usr/share/openscad/examples/
/usr/share/doc/povray/examples/

I have also collected example script from other sources.
I would like your comments and suggestions.
I could not get some script to work, it is commented out or deleted,
I would like your help to get that script working.
I would like more script.
Later, I hope to redo everything after debian 9 is released.

debiman

Re: How can I run the example script in Debian?

#2 Post by debiman »

that is some weird & fishy stuff.
not sure what to make of it.
the install script is just a lot of "apt-get install --allow-unauthenticated -y" commands. tsk, tsk.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

debiman wrote:
that is some weird & fishy stuff.
not sure what to make of it.
the install script is just a lot of "apt-get install --allow-unauthenticated -y" commands. tsk, tsk.
Agreed. I reported this post (along with a second copy, posted elsewhere) to the mods. I am deeply disturbed that they haven't seen fit to remove it. It has no business being on this forum.

pedro_s

#4 Post by pedro_s »

I also agree it is in the wrong place. I intended this post to go in the tutorials forum, but the title was wrong, so moderator moved the post to general forum.
I then re-posted it in tutorials forum with a better title, but moderator deleted that. Purpose is mostly to give bash examples of how to run the example script,
and partly to get some help running some examples that do not work. You might call this a test of the example script in debian software repository.
Some example script has failed the test, and I would like this fixed.

The install script should be run first, to install all the required packages for everything else.
That method works for me. I appreciate your comments and suggested improvements..

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

If you are using debian and having a problem with a script why not post the script (using code blocks) and maybe we could help.
When I first read this post I was very cautious and decided not to follow your links as the weakest point in modern OS's (IMO) is the browser.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

pedro_s wrote:I intended this post to go in the tutorials forum
what are you trying to teach us?
judging from that bash script you still have a lot to learn, rather than trying to teach us.

and, do you have permission to post all that media on your site?

pedro_s

#7 Post by pedro_s »

to Dai_trying. There are many details in http://pdscript.com/p/Apps/Community/ph ... /index.php compile> ats Here is an excerpt from there. I would appreciate your help.

Code: Select all

atscc /usr/share/doc/ats-lang-anairiats-examples/examples/AUP/AUP_4_8.dats
/usr/lib/ats-anairiats-0.2.11/bin/atsopt --output AUP_4_8_dats.c --dynamic /usr/share/doc/ats-lang-anairiats-examples/examples/AUP/AUP_4_8.dats
gcc -I/usr/lib/ats-anairiats-0.2.11/ -I/usr/lib/ats-anairiats-0.2.11/ccomp/runtime/ -L/usr/lib/ats-anairiats-0.2.11/ccomp/lib64/ /usr/lib/ats-anairiats-0.2.11/ccomp/runtime/ats_prelude.c AUP_4_8_dats.c -lats
In file included from AUP_4_8_dats.c:41:0:
/usr/lib/ats-anairiats-0.2.11/libc/CATS/curses.cats:41:20: fatal error: curses.h: No such file or directory
#include <curses.h>
^
compilation terminated.
Exit: [gcc] failed.

to debiman. I would appreciate you teaching me something. But my bash scripts are getting better as I go, and I plan to redo everything with debian 9.
I hope to be more educated at that time.
And as far as I know, everything on the site has a liberal license, and much is from the debian repository. Please tell me if you find otherwise.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

I re-reported this thread. Hopefully, a mod/admin will decide to remove it.

I'll say what I said in that other thread...
Just a general note of caution...

NEVER run scripts from an untrusted source, including first-time posters like this one.

This caution applies doubly to scripts that require root privileges, like these scripts do.
Remember, code need not be malicious to be destructive.

pedro_s

#9 Post by pedro_s »

I do not understand your objection. The script I just posted is directly from the debian repository.
Perhaps it should be removed from there? Or perhaps you are refering to my bash script?
Would you please tell me how to run this code?

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

pedro_s wrote:I do not understand your objection.
Then you're being deliberately obtuse. My words mean exactly what they say.
pedro_s wrote:Would you please tell me how to run this code?

The fact that I'm willing to help some folks solve some Debian issues without charge does not mean that I'm willing to teach you to program, and certainly not in an obscure language like ATS. Here's a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.cs.bu.edu/~hwxi/ATS/ATS.html
http://www.ats-lang.org/

pedro_s

#11 Post by pedro_s »

Thank you for the links. They seem to tell how to program ATS.
But for now, my problem seems to be compiling the already programed ATS examples that are in the debian repository.
Perhaps a library needs to be placed somewhere? And, ATS being obscure, perhaps the docs are obscure as well.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

dasein wrote:I re-reported this thread. Hopefully, a mod/admin will decide to remove it.
at least ALL links to this very strange website should be removed.

dasein

#13 Post by dasein »

Agreed. The initial post can't be reported. but subsequent posts can, along with an explanation. (Subtle hint)

FDN should not be a safe haven for links to wonky content.

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

For what ever it was worth, I did check on the site, and there is no reports of it being
"dangerous", how ever that does not mean the scripts are safe to try, especially if one does not understand what they actually do.
I do not see or understand the reason for trying to compile all the examples contained in
all those libraries, they are examples, and not really even ready to be compiled and used as working scripts or programs, they are intended to be examples , some can be used as
"templates", so to speak, and if one knows the programming language, or codling they can modify and add the necessary details to make the example actually be a working script or program,...
What the OP is trying to do seems pointless to me, and I fail to see why ?
It would make sense if it was a case of :
I am using this "example", and want my program to do this "Xthing", and then the code in code boxes of what they have, but it fails to compile, that would be a reasonable question
to ask in the "programming" board,...
The examples are intended to used on a as needed basis, 1 example at a time, it does not make sense to me why someone would want to try to "compile" all them all at once,...maybe it is just a language thing and the OP is not expressing their question,
or what ever very well,...
Based on the title.
Which example ? and what are you trying to do with that example ?
In any event, there is no way I am going to download any of that stuff in those links,
I have no need for it,
From: http://pdscript.com/p/debian/example/bash/index.htm

One bash script, to run all of the bash scripts, that are listed in the section above. It takes about 24 hours to run on my machine. [/url]
I certainly have more important (to me ) things to do , then tie up my computer for 24 hours , trying to run some script somebody wrote, especially when it is not for anything I need.
by pedro_s »I would like your help to get that script working.
Any way, maybe I should not have even posted, because I can not, and am not
willing to try to help on this.
And my advice to others, for whatever it worth, same as Dasein and debiman,
DO NOT download any of this and start running it on your system, there is nobody here that knows for sure what it all may do.
----- edit ---- the OP should read some tutorials on writing a bash script,....
This is really kind of humorous,....maybe the OP is joking with us ?
I don't know much about "bash" scripts, but this does not look like any kind of working bash script I have ever seen.
From the same site:

echo "bash run.txt This bash script runs some example script that is in the Debian 8.5 main software repository. It takes about 24 hours to run.";

bash example/bash/aqsis.txt;
bash example/bash/atscc.txt;
bash example/bash/cf.txt;
bash example/bash/contextfree.txt;
bash example/bash/fauhdlc.txt;
bash example/bash/gcc.txt;
bash example/bash/gri.txt;
bash example/bash/iverilog.txt;
bash example/bash/man.txt;
bash example/bash/openscad.txt
bash example/bash/povray.txt;
bash example/bash/verilator.txt;
echo "example/bash example/bash end.";

pedro_s

Summary and final remarks.

#15 Post by pedro_s »

Thank you all, it seems my questions have been answered:
I would like your comments and suggestions. that is some weird & fishy stuff. very strange website. What the OP is trying to do seems pointless to me.
I could not get some script to work. they are examples, and not really even ready to be compiled.
I would like your help to get that script working. I can not, and am not willing to try to help on this.

And here are more notes:
the install script is just a lot of "apt-get install --allow-unauthenticated -y" commands. This is all done on a system with minimal setup, and no sudo.
dasein says these scripts require root privileges. I say the only such script is p/debian/example/bash/install.txt, which installs the required packages, and that script can be omited if package install is done by another method.
especially if one does not understand what they actually do. I thought I documented everything. And I was waiting for your comments, to see what parts were confusing.
the OP should read some tutorials on writing a bash script. It is obvious that I know enough to accomplish what I want to do.
maybe the OP is joking with us ? This is no joke. I was hoping to get a constructive peer review.
this does not look like any kind of working bash script I have ever seen. It is the method I use, I understand it.

And finally:
I hope to figure out how to mark this post as solved. Any help here?
I have been given my answers, and if there is no more help to come, let a moderator or administrator do what he likes with this post.

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

i just had a cursory glance at your website, and pointed out potential pitfalls to others who might want to try your scripts.

i did not go through all the content.
in any case it seems extremely unstructured.
i just don't understand the point of the website.

it seems you are hosting content you don't have the rights to host.
it seems you are hosting binaries - never a good thing. that's what we trust debian repositories with, and no other.