Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] How can I install Virtual Box?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
acer-manjaro

Re: How can I install Virtual Box?

#21 Post by acer-manjaro »

stevepusser wrote:Does this command now work, then?

Code: Select all

apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports

Results

root@debian:/home/acer-manjaro# apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 virtualbox : Depends: virtualbox-dkms (>= 5.1.8-dfsg-6~bpo8+2) but it is not going to be installed or
                       virtualbox-source (>= 5.1.8-dfsg-6~bpo8+2) but it is not going to be installed or
                       virtualbox-modules
              Depends: libgsoap5 but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libvncserver0 (>= 0.9.9) but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: libqt5opengl5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
              Conflicts: virtualbox-5.1 but 5.1.22-115126~Debian~jessie is to be installed
 virtualbox-5.1 : Depends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5gui5 (>= 5.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5opengl5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5printsupport5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libqt5x11extras5 (>= 5.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Recommends: libsdl-ttf2.0-0 but it is not going to be installed
                  Recommends: linux-image but it is not installable
                  Conflicts: virtualbox
 virtualbox-qt : Depends: libqt5core5a (>= 5.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5gui5 (>= 5.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5opengl5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5printsupport5 (>= 5.0.2) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libqt5x11extras5 (>= 5.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
And I think the Oracle Virtual Box in partially installed because a logo appears in the Application menu. But when I open It, It doesn't open.
Maybe I should uninstall all Virtual Box files first and then Install it again.

What do you reckon?

phenest

#22 Post by phenest »

acer-manjaro wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Does this command now work, then?

apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports

Results

root@debian:/home/acer-manjaro# apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-qt -t jessie-backports
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
And I think the Oracle Virtual Box in partially installed because a logo appears in the Application menu. But when I open It, It doesn't open.
Maybe I should uninstall all Virtual Box files first and then Install it again.

What do you reckon?
Like I said, did you do as it suggested? Look at the error. It suggests to run:

apt-get -f install
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

acer-manjaro

#23 Post by acer-manjaro »

phenest wrote: Like I said, did you do as it suggested? Look at the error. It suggests to run:

apt-get -f install
Just to summarize, Which all should I run ? there a a lot.

Code:
dpkg -i virtualbox.deb

Code:
apt-get -f install

Are these enough ?

eor2004

#24 Post by eor2004 »

Hi, as an alternative way to install virtualbox (Oracle version) you can download the .deb file from virtualbox.org and install it using package "gdebi" from Debian repos.
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

phenest

#25 Post by phenest »

eor2004 wrote:and install it using package "gdebi" from Debian repos.
How is the OP going to install gdebi if they can't install virtualbox using apt-get?

stevepusser

#26 Post by stevepusser »

Because gdebi is in the main Debian repository and doesn't conflict with anything else.

To clear things up, the OP first tried to install the deb directly downloaded from Oracle, but used dpkg -i, which ended up resulting in missing dependencies. To finish up on that path---all that needs to finish the install is the command "apt-get -f install"--or to use gdebi to install standalone deb files instead of "dpkg -i".

However, it wasn't clear to me that the OP had an incomplete Oracle install, and I suggested installing the fairly recent version from jessie-backports. The Oracle and Debian versions conflict, so the incomplete Oracle install clogged up the works.

So the OP must decide whether to go with the Oracle version and finish its install, or to remove it and go with the jessie-backports version. Both are good choices, IMO. Just be aware that the jessie-backports version will always be at 5.1.8 and not get any possible security updates. If that depresses people, I could update my virtualbox jessie-backports repo in the openSUSE Build Service to the latest in upstream Debian--just ask here.
MX Linux packager and developer

phenest

#27 Post by phenest »

I think you misunderstood me Steve. If the OP is struggling with something as fundamental as this, there's not much hope for them installing anything else. And, to be honest, I'd rather teach something simpler, which so far has not advanced very much since the first post. The OP is trying to install software as one would in Windows. How many times have I installed a program in Windows just for it complain that a specific version of .Net is required but .Net needs to be downloaded separately. It would be nice if it grabbed it automatically, the same way it's done in a Linux distro packaging system.

Back to apt-get ...

stevepusser

#28 Post by stevepusser »

phenest wrote:I think you misunderstood me Steve. If the OP is struggling with something as fundamental as this, there's not much hope for them installing anything else. And, to be honest, I'd rather teach something simpler, which so far has not advanced very much since the first post. The OP is trying to install software as one would in Windows. How many times have I installed a program in Windows just for it complain that a specific version of .Net is required but .Net needs to be downloaded separately. It would be nice if it grabbed it automatically, the same way it's done in a Linux distro packaging system.

Back to apt-get ...
Yup, I don't know if you have noticed, but we seem to have a few of these threads in the last couple days...ones where we have to spell out specifically how to get root or sudo, edit a simple text file, install a deb file or use a repo, and so on. It's difficult to know just how far down our basic instructions have to drop.

GarryRicketson

#29 Post by GarryRicketson »

It's difficult to know just how far down our basic instructions have to drop.
It seems some do not even know what a command line is, nor a terminal.

phenest wrote:
eor2004 wrote:and install it using package "gdebi" from Debian repos.
How is the OP going to install gdebi if they can't install virtualbox using apt-get?
This is to confusing, but wouldn't

apt-get install gdebi
install "gdebi' ? It should , the OP should read some documentation,.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ls.en.html
==========
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement

The OP does not understand, or know how to install a package.
When they see this:
phenest wrote:
Like I said, did you do as it suggested? Look at the error. It suggests to run:

apt-get -f install 
acer-manjaro »Code:
apt-get -f install

Are these enough ?
The OP does not know to use logic, they need every little detail spelled out,
No :

apt-get -f install
is not enough, the command needs to also have the package name,.. for example:

apt-get install -f virtualbox

or

apt-get install gdebi

where it says "gedbi" or virtualbox, could be any package name,...but you must tell it the name of the package.
Read some documentation, read the manual:

man apt-get
or if you prefer use "synaptic package manager"

man synaptic

phenest

#30 Post by phenest »

stevepusser wrote:It's difficult to know just how far down our basic instructions have to drop.
I don't know whether to continue being patient (by that I mean: putting a bandage on my head 'cos it's hit a wall so many times) and hope they "get it", or tell them they aren't suited to Debian (or Linux in general).

@ acer-manjaro: Don't read anything into my comment to stevepusser. It's not personal. We're all willing to help, but you need to "get it".

Perhaps we to start by removing everything thus far related to VirtualBox, and start again.

phenest

#31 Post by phenest »

GarryRicketson wrote:This is to confusing, but wouldn't

apt-get install gdebi
install "gdebi' ?
You mean in the same way that:

apt-get install virtualbox
would install VirtualBox?

You'd think wouldn't you. But let's start with VirtualBox as per thread title.

acer-manjaro

Re: [SOLVED] How can I install Virtual Box? [CLOSED]

#32 Post by acer-manjaro »

Thanks to @GarryRicketson, @stevepusser, @phenest, @pylkko, @eor2004 and Moderators for your patients & supports

http://imgur.com/mmWjq97

conclusion
The issue was my lack of knowledge and understanding of Debian & Linux in general.

Thank You, All

GarryRicketson

Re: [SOLVED] How can I install Virtual Box?

#33 Post by GarryRicketson »

Your welcome, and congratulations,....

It takes some time to learn about linux, and Debian, but the more you practice, and also
read, the easier it gets. However it is a never ending process, we all keep learning new
things.

stevepusser

#34 Post by stevepusser »

I still remember thrashing around trying to get Broadcom wi-fi working on my first Linux install in 2006, so don't think you're alone. We all have to start somewhere.

Over on MX Linux, several of our developers have written a very nice, start from the basics user manual that's included with the ISO--so now we can bang our heads on the wall whenever a new user asks us a question that's answered on the first page of the manual. :lol:

phenest

#35 Post by phenest »

Yes, we've all been there. And once you "get it", you'll want to do more. It's almost infectious.