Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian installation stuck on Scanning Mirrors

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tleal

Debian installation stuck on Scanning Mirrors

#1 Post by tleal »

Hi,

I recently downloaded the minimal USB image from debian.org. Actually, I did this three times: First time normal download, checked the hash and it was OK. Second time was through UNetbootin and third time I repeated the first. I tried installing from graphical and non-graphical setups. The problem is: after choosing a Debian mirror (I tried at least the first 3 ones), the next page freezes at: "scanning mirrors". To get out of it, I needed to switch to an ash terminal and request a sys reboot. In the beginning of the install, I got a warning saying that a proprietary firmware is missing and if I want to load it from removable media. I tried this by downloading the firmware and unzipping it in a FAT32 USB, plugged it in and got nothing.

Also tried disabling ipv6 at beginning of installation with: disable-ipv6=1.

My specs are:
Dell inspiron 3421 8 GB RAM, i5 1.8 GHz, Nvidia Geforce 625M and SSD WD Green 240 GB.
Debian Jessie 8.8
amd64

Thank you.

phenest

Re: Debian installation stuck on Scanning Mirrors

#2 Post by phenest »

tleal wrote:First time normal download
What do you mean by a normal download?
tleal wrote:Second time was through UNetbootin
So you don't have a CD/DVD drive. Correct?
tleal wrote:The problem is: after choosing a Debian mirror (I tried at least the first 3 ones), the next page freezes at: "scanning mirrors".
tleal wrote:I got a warning saying that a proprietary firmware is missing
What was the firmware for? If it was for ethernet and/or wireless, that might account for freezing scanning mirrors.
tleal wrote:load it from removable media. I tried this by downloading the firmware and unzipping it in a FAT32 USB
Why FAT32?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

tleal

#3 Post by tleal »

What do you mean by a normal download?
Sorry, I meant: Official CD image of the stable release, 650 MB, amd64.
So you don't have a CD/DVD drive. Correct?
Right, I can only install it through USB (network install is infeasible for me).
What was the firmware for? If it was for ethernet and/or wireless, that might account for freezing scanning mirrors.
It was, indeed, for the wireless card. I don't have a cable to install it through LAN adapter.
The firmware missing was RTL8105e-1.fw, and I found that I should have loaded the firmware-realtek 0.43, which I tried once.
Why FAT32?
Just to avoid NTFS. I could have just used a FAT, right?

Thanks for the reply.

phenest

#4 Post by phenest »

tleal wrote:
Why FAT32?
Just to avoid NTFS. I could have just used a FAT, right?
Read here: https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... 04.html.en

wxckol

#5 Post by wxckol »

Download from here https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/
the 8.8.0+nonfree version, and make the usb from windows with Win32diskimager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/)

This contains the non free firmware that the installer is searching for, but you ll need a working internet connection during the installation.
Hope this helps, let me know.

Edit. I did not realize that you re out of internet connection during the install. Try the second option of the link then, make a bootable usb of it and go with the installation. That should at least complete the installation process. Is it a dual boot you are trying to put on? Second option is 8.8.0 live + nonfree. Can you give some details about your machine?
-
Disce pati si vincere voles
-
Intel Core i3 4350T @ 3.10GHz - 4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz -
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K31ADE - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)

-

phenest

#6 Post by phenest »

wxckol wrote:This contains the non free firmware that the installer is searching for, but you ll need a working internet connection during the installation.
So the OP requires an internet connection to get the firmware to get an internet connection?!
wxckol wrote:Hope this helps
:?

wxckol

#7 Post by wxckol »

phenest wrote:
wxckol wrote:This contains the non free firmware that the installer is searching for, but you ll need a working internet connection during the installation.
So the OP requires an internet connection to get the firmware to get an internet connection?!
wxckol wrote:Hope this helps
:?
Plus.. Plus.. Plus an edit! :mrgreen:
-
Disce pati si vincere voles
-
Intel Core i3 4350T @ 3.10GHz - 4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz -
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K31ADE - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)

-

phenest

#8 Post by phenest »

wxckol wrote:Is it a dual boot you are trying to put on? Second option is 8.8.0 live + nonfree. Can you give some details about your machine?
I think we should assume, for now, that the OP is competent enough to continue with the firmware on a USB drive.

EDIT: I didn't notice your edit until after I posted. Perhaps I should edit too?

tleal

#9 Post by tleal »

wxckol wrote: Edit. I did not realize that you re out of internet connection during the install. Try the second option of the link then, make a bootable usb of it and go with the installation. That should at least complete the installation process. Is it a dual boot you are trying to put on? Second option is 8.8.0 live + nonfree. Can you give some details about your machine?
Thanks for the link. Will try it next, I didn't know about the CD including firmware, very cool!
I DO connect to my router wireless connection, but I think because of the firmware stuff I can't pass through the scanning mirrors step.

And YES, this is supposed to be a dual-boot along with Windows 10. Live Debian-Jessie runs fine with my wireless adapter.
Last edited by tleal on 2017-05-11 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

tleal

#10 Post by tleal »

wxckol wrote:Download from here https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/
the 8.8.0+nonfree version, and make the usb from windows with Win32diskimager
Unfortunately, I tried installing with this image which contains the non-free firmware, but I still got the message. I ignored and proceeded. Again, stuck on scanning mirrors. :|

tleal

#11 Post by tleal »

Guys, I have tried putting the required firmware in the root of a 500 mb FAT usb stick. It seems that after putting the firmware that everything was ok, it jumped to detecting wlan0... But no, I can’t pass scanning mirrors, no matter what. Is there anything else? I really wanted to work on Debian. :(

phenest

#12 Post by phenest »

The installer asks if you want to use a network mirror. Did you say "yes" or "no"?