Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

adobe flash player

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ulf frodahl

adobe flash player

#1 Post by ulf frodahl »

Hi

I have an issue with adding libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. RTÉ Player (Irish television) requires a new version of adobe flash player. I have an earlier file of libflashplayer.so that I have renamed to libflashplayer.so.bak. When copying libflahsplayer by typing in "sudo cp home/username/Downloads libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" (logged in as su) I get the error message "user is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported" sudo before typing a command works fine otherwise. Neither does it work in the file manager. Does anyone have any idea why this does not work?

thanks

debiman

Re: adobe flash player

#3 Post by debiman »

you probably really want to install sudo, but it is not strictly necessary.
meanwhile try this:

Code: Select all

su
cp home/username/Downloads/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

ulf frodahl

#4 Post by ulf frodahl »

Thanks

it worked executing the command not logged on as super user after adding one user to the sudoers list. the strange thing is that i did not have the permission to execute the command as su which i did before.

i haven't tested if flash works yet but the command went well. i might be back for that?

thank you!
Ulf

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

ulf frodahl wrote:it worked executing the command not logged on as super user after adding one user to the sudoers list. the strange thing is that i did not have the permission to execute the command as su which i did before.
this sounds very dangerous.
maybe you did something that "accidentally" worked for this one command, but you will pay for it later...
one does not mess around with sudoers just to copy one file. full stop.

ulf frodahl

#6 Post by ulf frodahl »

hi debiman,

thanks for telling me. i'm pretty new to systems administration in linux. i'll look into removing this user from the sudoers file. it's not a big thing but i used to be able to watch RTÉ Player (Irish television) but since a while ago they prompt for the latest version of adobe flash. I have the latest libflashplayer.so in /user/lib/mozilla/plugins but it just won't work. anyone want to see if it works for them?

http://www.rte.ie/player/se/show/rte-ne ... /10727541/

thanks
Ulf

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

Your link works fine on my system, using FF 53.02 (from Mozilla site) and /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so (again latest version direct download from adobe)

ulf frodahl

#8 Post by ulf frodahl »

Hi Dai_trying

thanks for testing. well, my ff is 45.4 :) maybe it's time to upgrade? but i've stayed with this older version as youtube mp3 podcaster did not work the newest ff earlier (don't know if it does now) - i download mp3 and mp4 files from youtube and this plugin works great for that purpose. will test upgrading ff though. thanks again!

Ulf

Dai_trying

#9 Post by Dai_trying »

Tbh FF version shouldn't really make a difference (I wouldn't have thought), but you can try it without installing, just unpack the tar file to your home dir and then run ff from the terminal by going to unpacked dir and run ./firefox. Should also work without removing your current version (but I have not tested that).

phenest

#10 Post by phenest »

Dai_trying wrote:you can try it without installing, just unpack the tar file to your home dir and then run ff from the terminal by going to unpacked dir and run ./firefox.
I don't use Firefox or Flash, but I thought I'd try this. I can run Firefox that way, but the Flash player don't work.

How do you check Firefox is using it?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

phenest wrote:
Dai_trying wrote:you can try it without installing, just unpack the tar file to your home dir and then run ff from the terminal by going to unpacked dir and run ./firefox.
I don't use Firefox or Flash, but I thought I'd try this. I can run Firefox that way, but the Flash player don't work.

How do you check Firefox is using it?
Type "about:plugins" in the FF address bar and see what version of Shockwave Flash appears.
MX Linux packager and developer

phenest

#12 Post by phenest »

I got it working. You need to install:

apt-get install browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash
Fresh player is available for Stretch and Jessie backports.
Then download the Flash player from Adobe and copy the library (you may have to create the directory):

cp libpepflashplayer.so /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/
I downloaded the latest Firefox version 53 from Mozilla and ran it from the unpacked folder. Also works with Firefox version 45 in Stretch.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D