Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cyber attack spreads worldwide

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Cyber attack spreads worldwide

#1 Post by bester69 »

ransomware cyber attack spreads worldwide
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... ng-ransom/
Dominic Marley, a hospital doctor in the Manchester area, said it would be a “miracle if no one comes to harm”.
Poor people affected in hospitals!! :? :cry:

More reasons for using Linux? :?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

VentGrey

Re: Cyber attack spreads worldwide

#2 Post by VentGrey »

Apparently Linux systems are vulnerable too, in my compulsive paranoia I disabled root acc and set all my firewalls to high, and im scanning every 2 hours, I really don't want some ransomware here :shock:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

RU55EL

#3 Post by RU55EL »

bester69 wrote: [...]More reasons for using Linux? :?
More reasons not to use Windows XP!

alan stone

#4 Post by alan stone »

kopper

#5 Post by kopper »

RU55EL wrote:
bester69 wrote: [...]More reasons for using Linux? :?
More reasons not to use Windows XP!
Interestingly enough, MS provides security patches for XP and 2003 as well. The impact is so massive that they basically had to but still, good for them I think.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msr ... t-attacks/
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

VentGrey wrote:Apparently Linux systems are vulnerable too, in my compulsive paranoia I disabled root acc and set all my firewalls to high, and im scanning every 2 hours, I really don't want some ransomware here :shock:
Yes, on another forum one user said they were running Mint and they still got it, I don't know if that's true though. EDIT: Apparently it's not true, it was only written for Windows.
bester69 wrote:ransomware cyber attack spreads worldwide
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... ng-ransom/
Dominic Marley, a hospital doctor in the Manchester area, said it would be a “miracle if no one comes to harm”.
Poor people affected in hospitals!! :? :cry:
My current day job is in the NHS and we were using XP in our trust till about 2015. The biggest problem is the users though, most admins and clinicians are very IT illiterate. They know how to use email, Word, the software for their clinic and that's it. It's highly likely that many would open an email attachment without thinking about it or understanding what they could be doing. As for the system admins, I can't really comment, I hardly ever come into contact with them.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

Can't be. This OP has repeatedly declared Linux invulnerable to malware.

(Of course, since WINE has also been shown to be a viable vector for this particular attack, that means that this OP is particularly vulnerable to infection.)

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

Lysander wrote:Update, it can affect Linux. Through WINE
https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/sta ... 5787925505
"truly this is the year of the Linux desktop" :lol:

And also this user managed to infect his Gentoo install by running Firefox as root.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
nice.
i wonder why people feel the need to profile themselves, that they are still able to "talk the talk" and give the impression that they are "on top of it"... when it's so clear that the damage is done and all energy is best spent into fixing it...

edbarx

#10 Post by edbarx »

I remember several years ago, my google mail account warned me an email attachment could be a virus. My inquisitve curiosity was such that I decided I wanted to see its innards. So, I downloaded the attachment without executing it and opened it in a text editor. Seeing the code, it was clear there was something fishy about it.

Nevertheless, this didn't infect my computer.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

phenest

#11 Post by phenest »

I heard this on the news today. However, it is old news. I'm came across this ransomware on a friends computer several years ago. It's very old and the author has long since gone. Anybody who falls victim to this is basically screwed. Bye, bye data.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

pcalvert

#12 Post by pcalvert »

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Bulkley

#13 Post by Bulkley »

Just out of curiosity, how is this malware bypassing root security on the affected systems? Are there big outfits allowing all users root access? Or is the nature of the threat such that it doesn't need root access?

Lysander

#14 Post by Lysander »

phenest wrote:I heard this on the news today. However, it is old news. I'm came across this ransomware on a friends computer several years ago. It's very old and the author has long since gone. Anybody who falls victim to this is basically screwed. Bye, bye data.
I've read that it's a bad idea to pay ransomware since there's no guarantee you'll get your data. I take it that's the case here then.

One question, if it's old, how has it reappeared?

dasein

#15 Post by dasein »

Some J. Random Hacker's Twitter feed notwithstanding, it's not as clear to me as it could be that Linux is actually vulnerable.

To be clear, I'm not saying yes or no, I'm saying that it's unclear.

That said, here is some good news...
http://thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannac ... ndows.html

And some bad news....
http://thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannac ... ttack.html

Anyone who (a) isn't infected and (b) hasn't backed up in the last 24 hours, is, simply put, an idiot.

Lysander

#16 Post by Lysander »

dasein wrote: And some bad news....
http://thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannac ... ttack.html
Just read about this, so somebody somewhere is developing this.
dasein wrote:Anyone who (a) isn't infected and (b) hasn't backed up in the last 24 hours, is, simply put, an idiot.
Just updated my wife's computer this afternoon [W7], hadn't been updated for months. Will get the backups going. Yes I know it's daft but so many people find updating boring, intrusive and a waste of time on Windows. I can see how so many people got done over.

dasein

#17 Post by dasein »

Lysander wrote:One question, if it's old, how has it reappeared?
Every report I've read says that the specific vulnerability it exploits was reported relatively recently (March 2017). However, the underlying vulnerability itself actually resides in SMBv1, which is old, old, old. That's why XP is affected.

One of the more interesting things about this malware is that it deploys as a delivery mechanism, rather than as a specific payload. By all accounts, the actual attack vector is a "weaponized" version of a technique created by the US NSA and released to the world by ShadowBrokers. (More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EternalBlue)

That explains it was so easy for the bad guys to come up with a V 2.0 in less than a day. By implication, any arbitrary payload could be deployed.

These are not random script kiddies. Someone put some thought into this.

Hmmm... Apparently Russia is the hardest-hit nation. Maybe that's just a coincidence.

bester69

#18 Post by bester69 »

VentGrey wrote:Apparently Linux systems are vulnerable too, in my compulsive paranoia I disabled root acc and set all my firewalls to high, and im scanning every 2 hours, I really don't want some ransomware here :shock:

Linux has no virus, no malware, stop bullshit, there is more chance an atomic bomb explode in Paris than get infected by a linux virus. See Android Phones, Millons of users, installing thousands of Apps, and that system is unbrokeable. For sure, if you give root access then you lost it, but thats all.

By the way,for more that i try i wasnt able to root my android, they are doing really well..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

VentGrey

#19 Post by VentGrey »

If we look it in a good way I managed to convince 5 friends to start using Debian XD who would have thought that Ransomware helps Linux :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

alan stone

#20 Post by alan stone »

The NSA-created disaster explained and how to protect yourself.

All paid with U.S. tax dollars. :roll:

Meanwhile...

Microsoft has NOTHING on its home page to advise its customers. Only self-congratulatory bullshit.

Samewise for the NSA. Oh wait... there's a section "How We Protect the Nation". :lol:

But by all means, let's go to a cashless, all-digital society.
Last edited by alan stone on 2017-05-14 09:31, edited 1 time in total.