Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(Intel Graphics) need help - libgtk dependency

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
urulyvibe

(Intel Graphics) need help - libgtk dependency

#1 Post by urulyvibe »

Hi, I'm trying to install the Intel Graphics Driver for Debian but running into some problems.

When I run.
dpkg -i intel-graphics-update-tool_2.0.4_amd64.deb
I get.
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-graphics-update-tool:
intel-graphics-update-tool depends on libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.16.2); however:
Version of libgtk-3-0:amd64 on system is 3.14.5-1+deb8u1.
and I don't know how to update the dependency, if I run apt-get install -f
it will remove the intel update tool.

I tried install the gtk from the main website but when I do so after running configure and then run "make", it doesnt do anything and i then cannot run make install

Thank you for reading.

debiman

Re: (Intel Graphics) need help - libgtk dependency

#2 Post by debiman »

please don't try to compile a newer version of gtk3 yourself.
it might be possible to backport a newer version, but i'm not sure if this wouldn't break other applications.
maybe it's possible to run this as an appimage, or snap package; but again, i doubt these techniques will work on the current debian stable.

fyi, the world is waiting for the next stable release.
the current debian stable is ~2 years old i think.

urulyvibe

#3 Post by urulyvibe »

So you're saying a newer version of gtk3 can not be done?

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

urulyvibe wrote:So you're saying a newer version of gtk3 can not be done?
if that's what you want to read into it...

urulyvibe

#5 Post by urulyvibe »

Why don't you just be direct? In your first answer neither are you.. lol

If you want be to a total waste of time... Sure...

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

urulyvibe wrote:Why don't you just be direct? In your first answer neither are you.. lol

If you want be to a total waste of time... Sure...
ooohh, so we're going down that road, are we? fine by me, i don't mind some decent trolling, and i'm not the one looking for help anyway.

in case that wasn't your intention, my previous post offered three avenues to explore: most of all backporting.
then also 'snap' or 'appimage' - not sure how these are called; self-contained packages or some such. various solutions exist.

to answer you directly:
the gtk3 bit is definitely possible, but it very much depends on how much work you are willing to put into it.
but even then, it is not clear if you will be able to install some shiny new intel driver.
actually one should rather ask, why do you think you need that? intel has the best linux support already. baked right into the kernel.
maybe you're using some hardware that is too new for debian stable's default kernel?

Thorny

#7 Post by Thorny »

urulyvibe wrote:Why don't you just be direct? In your first answer neither are you.. lol
To me, it appears that debiman was fairly direct.
debiman wrote:; but again, i doubt these techniques will work on the current debian stable.
unrulyvibe, where did you get that .deb you tried to install and which version of Debian was that deb you tried to install made for? Try apt-cache policy intel-graphics-update-tool in a terminal.

debiman suggested that it wasn't going to work on Jessie and to me it isn't surprising that a tool released for a version of Ubuntu newer than Jessie doesn't meet the required dependencies.

Be careful when complaining about advice offered, your choice of nick might make many of us think you came to troll and that could be counter-productive to obtaining the best help.

urulyvibe

#8 Post by urulyvibe »

debiman wrote:Why don't you just be direct? In your first answer neither are you.. lol
to answer you directly:
the gtk3 bit is definitely possible, but it very much depends on how much work you are willing to put into it.
but even then, it is not clear if you will be able to install some shiny new intel driver.
actually one should rather ask, why do you think you need that? intel has the best linux support already. baked right into the kernel.
maybe you're using some hardware that is too new for debian stable's default kernel?
I'm using an integrated Intel HD 4600
The nVidia 740 has already drivers installed when I installed Debian.

I'd like to use multiple monitors.
Thorny wrote:
unrulyvibe, where did you get that .deb you tried to install and which version of Debian was that deb you tried to install made for? Try apt-cache policy intel-graphics-update-tool in a terminal.

debiman suggested that it wasn't going to work on Jessie and to me it isn't surprising that a tool released for a version of Ubuntu newer than Jessie doesn't meet the required dependencies.

Be careful when complaining about advice offered, your choice of nick might make many of us think you came to troll and that could be counter-productive to obtaining the best help.
[/quote]

I got the deb file from https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/update-tool

Excuse me if I came off like a troll.

If I move over to Ubuntu will I be able to update gtk and install the update tool?

Thanks guys.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

It seems direct enough, or clear,...but to try to be a little more clear,

What debiman is saying, and there is no real "direct" answer, and so he does not say
it can not be done, nor does he say it can be done. Read his reply more carefully, it might be possible, but it would
be rather complicated and difficult.
If you do not have the skills, and knowledge, it is less likely to be possible.
The means to try it, maybe on a VM, or another computer that is used for experimenting, etc. is a important factor.
debiman>> fyi, the world is waiting for the next stable release.
the current debian stable is ~2 years old i think.
The developers, are probably working on this, and when the current "testing" version
(Stretch) is released, it might be more possible, or even included.
by urulyvibe »I tried install the gtk from the main website but when I do so after running configure and then run "make", it doesnt do anything and i then cannot run make install
I am not sure what you mean "main website", but perhaps you should read this:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Post by debiman » 2017-05-13 04:25
please don't try to compile a newer version of gtk3 yourself.[/url]
One might also interpret the wiki, as saying it can not be done, but it really is just saying
it is not recommended, at all.
You may even find someone here that claims they have done something, or even this
and it worked, but keep in mind, they probably have different hardware, and also skills
that you do not have. Also sometimes things appear to work , even for several months,
but eventually it all come tumbling down.

Since you are needing to ask this question here, I think it would be in your best interest to
take it like you read it,
urulyvibe wrote:
So you're saying a newer version of gtk3 can not be done?
No , it is not something you can do, at this time,...but maybe some day it will be possible.
I see there have been other replies as well,...any way I am probably wasting my time
as well, but since I have "forever", that is no big deal,...Read the "don't break Debian"
on the wiki, it might help clarify.
by urulyvibe »If I move over to Ubuntu will I be able to update gtk and install the update tool?

Thanks guys.
I don't know, on Ubuntu, if they are all ready using the GTK3, yes that would be a option.
You might want to try theMX distro as well.

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

urulyvibe wrote:Excuse me if I came off like a troll.
thank you, apology accepted.
i doubt that you actually need this.
why do you think so?
If I move over to Ubuntu will I be able to update gtk and install the update tool?
most likely, yes.
but you can check gtk3 versions before doing so: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu - yes, according to that page (scroll down) ubuntu 16.04 LTS uses gtk3 >= 3.16.2.

urulyvibe

#11 Post by urulyvibe »

Much appreciated guys.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

You can get a newer Intel driver in Jessie by using Jessie backports. Since part of the driver are in the kernel and parts of it are in Mesa, those will also need to be updated: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=131611

You also don't need a newer gtk 3 to build an even newer driver package on the command line, that's just for the crutch of the GUI that Intel provides.
MX Linux packager and developer