Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thank you Debian Team!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
tim.tux

Thank you Debian Team!

#1 Post by tim.tux »

Dear Debian team.

At the demise of support for XP I got my Linux wings the Jaunty way and then discovered Wheezy. I wish to thank everyone involved with Debian as I have gained so much and learned such a lot, and once again feel free and in control and enjoy using my PC for both business and pleasure every day with Sid.

Many thanks and gratitude.
Keep up the great work.
Very best regards.
Tim

tim.tux

Re: Thank you Debian Team!

#2 Post by tim.tux »

Actually checking ye olde cd cake it was Hardy Heron!
:-)
Tim

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

Great. A "thank you" to the Debian Team for an Ubuntu release.

Ah well, not like the praise isn't deserved. even if it is misdirected.

tim.tux

#4 Post by tim.tux »

Misunderstood! Ubuntu was an introduction and got me on my way and I learned to use Linux but Debian helped to give me the freedom to the extent I use Debian Sid every day to this day for business and pleasure. We all have our journeys and I have enjoyed mine and Debian is my choice because I like it, I am free to do so and for its empirical merit. I got my Mum and her partner using Jessie, converts from windoze and Ubuntu for years now and I use Sid every day. I don't like Ubuntu or windoze thats why I am so thankful to the Debian team for a computer I am in control of and enjoy the freedom of and can support my Mum and partner and can enjoy the support of a community when I need to learn it is there! Thats just where we all started and where I am.

Cheers

Tim

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

dasein wrote:Great. A "thank you" to the Debian Team for an Ubuntu release.

Ah well, not like the praise isn't deserved. even if it is misdirected.
The thread title is "Thank you Debian team". Doesn't look misdirected to me. The OP was just trying to explain how they got here.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

tim.tux

#6 Post by tim.tux »

Thank you. Yes! Trying!
Cheers
Tim

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tim.tux wrote:I use Debian Sid every day to this day for business
Erm, you do know why that branch is so-called, right?

It is named after the character in the Toy Story films who broke all the toys...

I would recommend Debian stable instead :)
tim.tux wrote:Thank you Debian Team!
+1, well said.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

Re: SID
Erm, you do know why that branch is so-called, right?
Actually, I was under the impression SID, was short for "Still In Development"

I wonder if it is a coincidence, about Sid, in toy story,...or was it a coincidence when
he started with Debian, to use the "toy story": characters ,... ? To bad he is not here any more to ask about that.
I all ways enjoy this picture , cartoon style... you need to look at the full size image,
look for "Woody", or "testing", ..and right above him , is Sid, in the caption
it says "SID: Still in Development" poor Sid, he will never be a release.

tim.tux

#9 Post by tim.tux »

My business needs require Debian, ingenuity, originality and patience and not throwing the toys out of the pram! I am Sid every day and keep it coming! Never let me down yet!
Only had infrequent issues with Nvidia and a few dependancy issues while compiling. All quickly resolved in my opinion.
Its a long way from broken but lets make it better.
Cheers

Tim

tim.tux

#10 Post by tim.tux »

Regardless I wish you thanks and praise the Debian team!
Thank you!
Very best regards
Tim

tim.tux

#11 Post by tim.tux »

I like Sid. He is often misunderstood.
Very best regards
Tim

n_hologram

#12 Post by n_hologram »

GarryRicketson wrote:Actually, I was under the impression SID, was short for "Still In Development"

I wonder if it is a coincidence, about Sid, in toy story,...or was it a coincidence when
he started with Debian, to use the "toy story": characters ,... ? To bad he is not here any more to ask about that.
I had a literary theory professor who postulated that Sid's function in the movie was to dissuade the audience from inventing or building things on their own, and instead to rely on premade commercial products. I thought it was also an accurate illustration of how naive users approach the unstable branch.
Sid_Enthusiast1999 wrote:Help, I updated Sid and now bad things are happening! I hate linux which requires me to read and I am going back to Window$...
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...