Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Disregard] Can this machine run Debian?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
edsger

[Disregard] Can this machine run Debian?

#1 Post by edsger »

*** Update ***
Please disregard my post below.
I have found some evidence that this configuration cannot run Debian.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1671360
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6 ... m-comments

I have been unable to run Debian 8.8.0 from the live DVD or USB. The first line of output I get when I run a non-graphical installation is:

core perfctr but no constraints; unknown hardware!

The machine has:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB 350-Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eig

I have searched on whether this configuration is compatible with Debian but not found anything.

Attempts to install Debian also fail.

Is there a way to run or install Debian on this machine?

Thanks.
Last edited by edsger on 2017-05-17 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: Can this machine run Debian?

#2 Post by debiman »

i think the hardware is too new for debian stable. i came to this conclusion from the keyword "Ryzen"; if you think i'm wrong, provide full system specs.

you should choose a different distro, one that has a faster release cycle.
maybe ubuntu, or some debian testing based distro. first sane result: https://distrowatch.com/sparky

stevepusser

Re: [Disregard] Can this machine run Debian?

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The support for Ryzen processors was just added to the last one or two kernel releases; 4.10 or 4.11 I believe.

I know it's possible to get a backported 4.10 Liquorix kernel onto an install of Jessie-based MX 16 Linux, and the 4.11 Ubuntu kernel is also supposed to work, and then it's easy to make a remastered ISO snapshot of MX 16 that features that kernel, but I don't know if that's the only thing that needs to be upgraded. We'll also backport the 4.11 Liquorix as soon as it's available, and the 4.11 antiX kernel should also be installable when available.

Have you tried any of the bleeding edge distros to see if they work? I thought I read that it was possible...
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

Re: [Disregard] Can this machine run Debian?

#4 Post by debiman »

i hope it's ok to go completely OT since op stated "disregard"...
stevepusser wrote:Have you tried any of the bleeding edge distros to see if they work?
i like the distinction between bleeding edge and cutting edge:
bleeding edge: applications come in straight from upstream with virtually no preliminary testing - it cuts and it hurts
cutting edge: applications come in steadily from upstream with preliminary testing - it cuts, but doesn't hurt

i consider e.g. sid (or fedora?) to be bleeding edge.

i prefer cutting edge.