Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

OK to install an Ubuntu indicator session package in Debian?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Lysander

OK to install an Ubuntu indicator session package in Debian?

#1 Post by Lysander »

Right, before I start on this I should mention that I have spent about two hours looking round Startpage for the answer to this, and searched these forums. While I see some people have similar issues, they are not the same. I've also checked the GNOME and Debian wikis.

The main issue I have is that the 'cancel' button is not working on shutdown. If I enter the power off menu and then press 'cancel' rather than 'restart' or 'power off' then the system just shuts down anyway after about 60 seconds.

Now this is a known bug and the fix is available here but it is says that an indicator session package has to be installed. This package is for Ubuntu, would it be OK to install it in Debian?

stevepusser

Re: OK to install an Ubuntu indicator session package in Deb

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It seems to me that the best method would be to apply the same code patch to Jessie's indicator-session package and rebuild it, or to rebuild the Ubuntu indicator-session sources against the Jessie GNOME libraries...which takes a couple minutes on the openSUSE Build Service. Let me set that up.
MX Linux packager and developer

Lysander

#3 Post by Lysander »

Steve, that's quite an incredible offer and I'm very thankful for it. It seems to be working OK now, however, it has done this a couple of times in the past too so I would gladly apply the fix you can offer. Not only that, but such a fix would surely be useful to future Debianites who may come across the same issue.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

OK, I got it to build on the OBS: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... or-session The OBS had some maintenance downtime yesterday, which is why it took a while.

You can click on the "Download Package" link, and then follow the instructions to add the repo and key (run the command to add the repo and the add-key one as sudo or root, but the middle one to download the "Release.key" file as a standard use), or just download the deb package directly via the link as the bottom, then install that with gdebi. I don't run GNOME, so you'll have to test it.
MX Linux packager and developer

Lysander

#5 Post by Lysander »

Steve, thank you so much. I haven't had a chance to use this yet. I'm going away for a week so definitely will do when I return. I'll let you know how it goes. Great to see someone do something like this to help.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

stevepusser wrote:OK, I got it to build on the OBS: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... or-session The OBS had some maintenance downtime yesterday, which is why it took a while.

You can click on the "Download Package" link, and then follow the instructions to add the repo and key (run the command to add the repo and the add-key one as sudo or root, but the middle one to download the "Release.key" file as a standard use), or just download the deb package directly via the link as the bottom, then install that with gdebi. I don't run GNOME, so you'll have to test it.
OK, I followed the instructions and added the repo and key and downloaded the package manually. Everything seems to be working very well. Thank you very much Steve, I'll report back here if needed.