Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Missing packages in Stretch

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
csabix

[SOLVED] Missing packages in Stretch

#1 Post by csabix »

Hello all!

I'm setting up a Stretch-based server following The Perfect Server tutorial for Jessie.
Since each major version comes with major changes, I ended up with packages that are not present in Stretch. These are as follows:

apache2.2-common
apache2-mpm-prefork
apache2-suexec
php-auth

Can somebody help me to find what are their updated names (similar to how php5 became php7.0), replacements or if they were merged into something else.
Tried using google + Debian package search but t looks like I don't have the talent to obtain desired results.
It would also be great if someone could explain me how to do the research myself so I don't need to fill the forum with posts each time similar changes occur.

Thank you!
Last edited by csabix on 2017-06-23 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

csabix

Re: Missing packages in Stretch

#3 Post by csabix »

Yes but I don't know what to do with that info.

Also, there are 2 variants of suexec (pristine and custom) and I cannot figure out which case applies to me. My websites used to reside in /home, having a symbolic link in /var/www. I saw in the description of each package that it has to do with the document root but didn't understand how this relates to my setup.

I installed apache2-data supposing it replaces apache2.2-common but "assumption is the mother of all screwups"...

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Setting up a server with a Debian version that's still in testing is sure to raise a few eyebrows here...
MX Linux packager and developer

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

stevepusser wrote:Setting up a server with a Debian version that's still in testing is sure to raise a few eyebrows here...
Setting up a Stretch server so close to going stable could actually be considered forward thinking, the OP didn't say it was "live", but what raised my eyebrows was the fact that somebody setting up a server couldn't install some packages and had to rely on a internet guide (No offense intended to @csabix but servers usually require a certain degree of experience)

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

The Perfect Server tutorial for Jessie.
Since each major version comes with major changes, I ended up with packages that are not present in Stretch.
Did the OP install packages for Jessie on the Stretch system ?
The only way I can think of that one would "end up with packages that are not in Stretch would be if they had sources that installed packages from a different version,
Post by csabix » 2017-05-17 05:44
Yes but I don't know what to do with that info.

If the OP means the info in the link arrochester posted:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/apache2
It is very clear, and straight forward, that is the package that should be installed.
It says plainly:
Package: apache2 (2.4.25-3)

Apache HTTP Server

The Apache HTTP Server Project's goal is to build a secure, efficient and extensible HTTP server as standards-compliant open source software. The result has long been the number one web server on the Internet.

Installing this package results in a full installation, including the configuration files, init scripts and support scripts.
I think it would help if the OP gives the details on how they accomplished this:
I ended up with packages that are not present in Stretch
Where did those packages come from,... ?

csabix

#7 Post by csabix »

Things to clarify

1. By "ended up with packages..." I wanted to say that the packages mentioned in the tutorial could not be found in the Debian repos anymore. It was a mistake I made in expressing myself. My bad.

2. I am here for help on achieving my goal. And yes, I have a few years experience with Debian servers (a little over 10 years) but this is the first time I'm building a new system using documentation meant for a previous version.

3. One of you guessed correctly that my decision was made based on the fact that Stretch is very close to release. The current version I'm using is Wheezy and I want my next build to be used at least the same amount of time or even longer.

4. If somebody doesn't know the answer, he/she shouldn't comment just to give opinions. If I needed opinions, I'd ask for them straightforward.
This is a phenomenon I began seeing in the past few years: people filling topics with irrelevant discussions then complaining they were offended by (my)criticism and they just wanted to help.

Dai_trying

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

apt wrote:apache2-data - Apache HTTP Server (common files)
Which I would interpret to be a replacement for Apache2.2-common
apt wrote:libapache2-mpm-itk - multiuser module for Apache
I think would replace apache2-mpm-prefork

apache2-suexec-pristine Vs apache2-suexec-custom : I would say this would depend on whether you might need certain customizations, if you're not sure the best bet would be use pristine and then later you could swap if needed.

php-auth: There are a few options here but It looks like php-oauth would be most likely, but this would really depend on how you are setting the server up, and there are ppl far more knowledgable than I on this matter so will leave follow up posts on this to them...

csabix

#9 Post by csabix »

Thank you, Dai_trying!

I installed apache2-suexec-pristine, libapache2-mpm-itk, apache2-data.

Regarding php-oauth, I'm not really convinced and will wait a few days, maybe somebody can come up with the sure answer.

csabix

#10 Post by csabix »

In the meantime Stretch has been released and Howtoforge's tutorial, too.
Since I was in quite a hurry, did not check what happened with those packages. Just installed everything.
So, case is solved.
Thanks for everyone's good intentions!