Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install not detecting Mac SSD

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hwhea

Install not detecting Mac SSD

#1 Post by hwhea »

Hello all,

I'm attempting to dual boot Debian 8.8 alongside Mac OSX Sierra on an early 2015 Macbook Air.

Whenever I get to the partitioning section of the install, only the USB with which I am installing is found - the mac SSD isn't. I'm using a full install DVD and not a netinst. Additionally, for some reason, rEFIt doesn't see the install USB but mac's boot manager does (holding alt). Not sure if these symptoms are related or not. When I boot the installer from mac's boot manager it seems to work fine up until not finding the drive.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

milomak

Re: Install not detecting Mac SSD

#2 Post by milomak »

is it a fusion drive?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

hwhea

#3 Post by hwhea »

Thanks for the reply! Still no luck here, tried all sorts.

I don't think i have fusion drive. The disk is named Macintosh SSD or something along those lines, with two partitions (Mac & Debian - both created in Disk Utility). I get through the installer but when I get to disk partitioning, the SSD simply is not listed at all.

Baffling me, doesn't seem to be a common problem either if Google searches are anything to go by.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

hwhea

#5 Post by hwhea »

Just had a look, seems to be an NVMe device. I'll look into a solution for mac users and if I see results, I'll post again. Thanks for the heads up.

hwhea

#6 Post by hwhea »

If anybody has any ideas, feel free to post them. I'm getting nowhere with this. Now on a fresh install of OS X, still no change (not that I expected any - but was worth a try).

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

What went wrong with the jessie-backports in the installer workaround? Is the installer able to make a Net connection?
MX Linux packager and developer