Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I create a dektop shortcut?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Arrow

How do I create a dektop shortcut?

#1 Post by Arrow »

I am new to Debian but have used Ubuntu for quite some time. I went into the /usr/shar/appliations to drag and drop and to my desktop, but the application just slides right back to the menu. If i use the application drop down menu, when I drag and drop the application is slides and disappears. I like he idea of the drop down menus but I want to make my desktop have certain applications. How can I fix this?
ARROW

stevepusser

Re: How do I create a dektop shortcut?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I think that icons on the desktop are not allowed by default. You can change this by installing gnome-tweak-tool and using it to change the setting.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Open dconf-editor and navigate to org.gnome.desktop.background and check that "show-desktop-icons" is enabled then open the file manager (nautilus) go to the application you want, right-click on it and select "Copy to" and then select ~/Desktop
deadbang

Arrow

#4 Post by Arrow »

stevepusser wrote:I think that icons on the desktop are not allowed by default. You can change this by installing gnome-tweak-tool and using it to change the setting.
I have it set to have launcher handle desktop to maybe fix this, but that did not work. Any other suggestions mate?
ARROW

Arrow

#5 Post by Arrow »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Open dconf-editor and navigate to org.gnome.desktop.background and check that "show-desktop-icons" is enabled then open the file manager (nautilus) go to the application you want, right-click on it and select "Copy to" and then select ~/Desktop
I was only given the option to copy to Home. So I transferred to shortcut to the Desktop folder but it did not show up.
ARROW

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Arrow wrote:I was only given the option to copy to Home. So I transferred to shortcut to the Desktop folder but it did not show up.
Ah sorry I'm using GNOME 3.14 -- I take it you're using wheezy?
deadbang

Arrow

#7 Post by Arrow »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Arrow wrote:I was only given the option to copy to Home. So I transferred to shortcut to the Desktop folder but it did not show up.
Ah sorry I'm using GNOME 3.14 -- I take it you're using wheezy?
Oh shoot I forgot to mention it but yes I am.
ARROW

jesus92gz

#8 Post by jesus92gz »

I'm using Gnome classic on Debian 7.8 Wheezy. I don't know if the following instructions will work for you as well.

Go: Applications -> System Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced Settings or simply open a console and run: gnome-tweak-tool (just like stevepusser commented)

There are various options on the left, select Desktop, and then it will appear various switches.
Activate the first option: Have file manager handle the desktop (highlighted option in image). Activate other options in this form/menu as you like.

Then, it will automatically appear various icons such as computer, home, mounted volumes and trash.
This will also allow you to create shortcuts to directories, applications, ..., just like you can see in the following picture.

Deblib

#9 Post by Deblib »

I use Gnome Classic on Debian Jessie 64-bit. I'm trying to create a Firefox shortcut on my desktop. I have tried with gnome-tweak-tool but I do not find any option nor know the procedure nor have I found it in google.