Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gtk3 dialogs are completely missing

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kerryhall

gtk3 dialogs are completely missing

#1 Post by kerryhall »

Hi folks,

I used to have an issue with gtk3 dialogs getting "stuck", ie, they show up on one monitor and I can't resize or move.

I recently added a 4k monitor to my deskop, and now these dialogs are missing entirely. I can see them listed in the "taskbar" but as gtk3 windows can't be moved, I can't use fluxbox "nudge" to try and move them around to attempt to locate!

How do I disable gtk3 style dialogs? (ie, transmission save dialog, evince, firefox save dialog, etc)

Running fluxbox as my window manager.

Thanks!
Last edited by kerryhall on 2017-03-10 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

kerryhall

Re: gtk3 dialogs are completely missing

#2 Post by kerryhall »

Any ideas? Thanks!

kerryhall

#3 Post by kerryhall »

Any thoughts on this?

Currently unable to download files via firefox due to this issue, among many other problems.

Thanks!

kerryhall

#4 Post by kerryhall »

Any ideas on this? This is becoming a huge problem. :( Thanks!

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

if you use something else than fluxbox?
what sort of troubleshooting did you do, what did it show?
how did you set up your dual monitors? and fluxbox?

kerryhall

#6 Post by kerryhall »

That is a good idea I haven't tried yet, using a window manager other than fluxbox.

I've messed around with xmonad a bit, let me try and see if that one has the same problems.

Thanks!!

kerryhall

#7 Post by kerryhall »

Tried using xmonad but it doesn't support switching workspaces at the same time on all monitors (which gnome2 and fluxbox both can do) so that is out.

awesomewm is buggy and can't autostart any applications, so it's out. (but the awesomewm package for debian is over 4 years old)

I have tried logging out and logging back in with fluxbox, and it resolves the gtk3 style dialog issue temporarily (maybe for an hour or so) Randomly though, the system reverts back to the "dialogs are stuck and can't be resized or moved" issue.

What should I try next?

Thanks!

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

debiman wrote:what sort of troubleshooting did you do, what did it show?
how did you set up your dual monitors?
please answer these questions.

could also be gpu/driver related.
output of

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d'
please.

kerryhall

#9 Post by kerryhall »

I'm not sure what I can do to troubleshoot or debug in this case.

Should I try using strace or ltrace on affected applications? Is there a certain system or library call I should be looking for? Maybe I can do strace and/or ltrace and dump to a file?

It seems like the window manager is just reverting to gnome3 style behavior, but I don't know for sure if that's what it's actually doing.

I don't see a log for fluxbox in /var/log, not sure where it's logging to.

I'm not sure that this would show up in a log though, as I don't think the system even registers this as an error.

I feel 90% sure that this is a gnome3 related issue, as it only occurs with applications that look like they have gnome3 style buttons and such.

Ie, evince, rhythmbox, transmission-gtk are all affected.

I'm using four monitors currently, but this issue occurred before I got monitor number four. I've been using three monitors for about 5 years now. All four of them are being driven by a geforce gtx 1060. Before that, they were driven by two cards, a 6600 and a 460. Changing the cards had no effect, changing the monitor setup had no effect either.

Here's the output of that lspci command:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1c03 (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Device 196e:119f
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
I think it's a gnome3 library issue, but I have no idea. It's strange also that it just randomly starts happening. When I log in, there is no issue for maybe 1 hour to 3 days max.

Thanks!

kerryhall

#10 Post by kerryhall »

One more item to note: doing a restart of fluxbox from the fluxbox menu seems to cause things to revert to a good state. However, this is clearly not desired behavior.

Thanks!

phenest

#11 Post by phenest »

Can I assume you're referring to Gnome apps? Perhaps install dconf Editor or Gnome Tweak Tool and see if any settings in there help. Are the modal dialogs "attached" to the parent.

Does fluxbox support compositing? Could that affect them?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

your lspci output is strange; it doesn't show the model/name of the nvidia card. never seen that before.
how old is the card, which kernel are you running, and which version of the nvidia driver?
kerryhall wrote:It seems like the window manager is just reverting to gnome3 style behavior, but I don't know for sure if that's what it's actually doing.
i don't understand what that's supposed to mean.

Danielsan

#13 Post by Danielsan »

kerryhall wrote:I'm not sure what I can do to troubleshoot or debug in this case.

Should I try using strace or ltrace on affected applications? Is there a certain system or library call I should be looking for? Maybe I can do strace and/or ltrace and dump to a file?

It seems like the window manager is just reverting to gnome3 style behavior, but I don't know for sure if that's what it's actually doing.

I don't see a log for fluxbox in /var/log, not sure where it's logging to.

I'm not sure that this would show up in a log though, as I don't think the system even registers this as an error.

I feel 90% sure that this is a gnome3 related issue, as it only occurs with applications that look like they have gnome3 style buttons and such.

Ie, evince, rhythmbox, transmission-gtk are all affected.

I'm using four monitors currently, but this issue occurred before I got monitor number four. I've been using three monitors for about 5 years now. All four of them are being driven by a geforce gtx 1060. Before that, they were driven by two cards, a 6600 and a 460. Changing the cards had no effect, changing the monitor setup had no effect either.

Here's the output of that lspci command:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1c03 (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Device 196e:119f
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
I think it's a gnome3 library issue, but I have no idea. It's strange also that it just randomly starts happening. When I log in, there is no issue for maybe 1 hour to 3 days max.

Thanks!
Actually I didn't understand what issue you have but you could try installing this package (starting from Stretch):

libgtk3-nocsd0

It will disable Gnome Client Side Decoration and every Gnome application will work as all the other GTK but not Gnome application. The second issue that you could have is that currently only Gnome3 and partially KDE5 are able to support 4K monitors and HiDpi resolution, I don't believe that Fluxbox can handle a 4K display properly.

kerryhall

#14 Post by kerryhall »

I have no issue with fluxbox supporting a 4k monitor, that is totally fine.

I would like to install that package but I am running Jessie.

When will Stretch be released?

Thanks!

Danielsan

#15 Post by Danielsan »

kerryhall wrote:I have no issue with fluxbox supporting a 4k monitor, that is totally fine.

I would like to install that package but I am running Jessie.

When will Stretch be released?

Thanks!
You can install it manually: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libgtk3-nocsd0

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

it isn't even clear yet what op's problem really is.
at least not to me.
it could have something to do with client-side decorations, could be something completely different...

phenest

#17 Post by phenest »

When did the dialogs stop showing? When you added the 4K monitor, or when you added the new video card? Or both?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D