Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

xfce4 on stretch: re-enabling touch pad?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
wirawan0

xfce4 on stretch: re-enabling touch pad?

#1 Post by wirawan0 »

I installed Debian Stretch RC2 on a Thinkpad T450s laptop. I use XFCE4 as the Desktop GUI. I noticed that the touchpad does not come enabled by the system. How do I re-enable this? Since the recent change to libinput, the old-style utilities (synclient, syndaemon) does not work anymore. How can one now tweak touchpad settings?

Ref:
https://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad

Wirawan

deborah-and-ian

Re: xfce4 on stretch: re-enabling touch pad?

#2 Post by deborah-and-ian »

You can remove libinput and install the synaptic xorg package and it will automatically use the old driver again.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

ravisista

#3 Post by ravisista »

deborah-and-ian wrote:You can remove libinput and install the synaptic xorg package and it will automatically use the old driver again.
How exactly do you do that and will be break anything else in Stretch? I have installed Stretch XFCE on a new partition on my Dell Inspiron laptop and facing the same exact issue. Thanks in advance!

orythem27

#4 Post by orythem27 »

No need to remove libinput, just don't use it. You can either copy or symlink /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and remove the libinput config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

ravisista

#5 Post by ravisista »

orythem27 wrote:No need to remove libinput, just don't use it. You can either copy or symlink /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and remove the libinput config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.
There was no /etc/XX1/xorg.conf.d to start with in Stretch. Created it and copied /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf to /etc/XX1/xorg.conf.d, restarted but still no use. It works just fine in Jessie, not sure why this is so difficult in Stretch. Any further ideas? Thanks in advance.

ravisista

#6 Post by ravisista »

I ended up installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package (not sure why it was missing in the first place..because of libinput?) and that solved the issue. Touchpad tapping works fine now. Not sure if that's the right away to solve this and will cause any conflicts during future apt upgrades?

orythem27

#7 Post by orythem27 »

ravisista wrote:I ended up installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package... will cause any conflicts during future apt upgrades?
Wow, never thought of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics being dropped from default installation. :oops:

It's highly unlikely to cause conflicts. Just keep 50-synaptics.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to ensure synaptics driver get loaded instead of libinput.