Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Silverlight problems

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
not313

Silverlight problems

#1 Post by not313 »

Hello everyone,

My ISP offers me a service where i can watch tv anywhere inside my house wtv is a PC tablet or android phone.

For PC they have 2 ways:
  • On the browser
    On Windows app they have developed ONLY for windows 8/8.1/10
Im running debian 8 and as normal i followed a few tuts on how to get silverlight running on debian. Installed wine-staging, installed pipelight-multi, enabled silverlight and created silverlight plugin for firefox.

If i go here http://www.kcba.org/streaming/Test-Streaming.aspx silverlight works

Here http://bubblemark.com/sl3/TestPage.html silverlight works too, but on my ISPs streaming page doesnt work

I get the following output from terminal:
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] attached to process.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] checking environment variable PIPELIGHT_SILVERLIGHT5_1_CONFIG.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] searching for config file pipelight-silverlight5.1.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] trying to load config file from '/home/user/.config/pipelight-silverlight5.1'.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] trying to load config file from '/etc/pipelight-silverlight5.1'.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] trying to load config file from '/usr/share/pipelight/configs/pipelight-silverlight5.1'.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] sandbox not found or not installed!
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:silverlight5.1] using wine prefix directory /home/user/.wine-pipelight.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:silverlight5.1] checking plugin installation - this might take some time.
[install-dependency] wine-silverlight5.1-installer is already installed in '/home/user/.wine-pipelight'.
[install-dependency] wine-mpg2splt-installer is already installed in '/home/user/.wine-pipelight'.
[install-dependency] Ignoring deprecated wine-wininet-installer.
fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 2.8 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (2)
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] embedded mode is on.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] windowless mode is off.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] linux windowless mode is off.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] force SetWindow is off.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] window class hook is on.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] strict draw ordering is off.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] replaced API function CreateWindowExA.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] replaced API function CreateWindowExW.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] replaced API function TrackPopupMenuEx.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] replaced API function TrackPopupMenu.
fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({aa087e0e-0b35-4e28-8f3a-440c3f51eef1}, 0x7b8d21a4, 0x7b970120, 0x7b975150) stub.
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] init successful!
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] OpenGL Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell x86/MMX/SSE2
[PIPELIGHT:WIN:silverlight5.1] Your GPU is in the whitelist, hardware acceleration should work.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:silverlight5.1] using timer based event handling.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:silverlight5.1] successfully executed JavaScript.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:silverlight5.1] nppfunctions.c:413:NPP_New(): malformed argument 'PARAM' -> '(null)'
fixme:advapi:CreateProcessAsUserW 0xf8 L"c:\\Program Files\\Silverlight\\latest\\agcp.exe" L"agcp.exe 8 240" (nil) (nil) 1 0x00004000 (nil) (null) 0x6cf0b8 0x6cf0a8 - semi-stub
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x14ee988
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
fixme:dwmapi:DwmEnableMMCSS (1) stub
fixme:dwmapi:DwmEnableMMCSS (0) stub
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:silverlight5.1] unscheduled event timer.
I have made the same installation a few times and this time for some reason its not working.

Can someone help me please?

debiman

Re: Silverlight problems

#2 Post by debiman »

not313 wrote:My ISP offers me a service where i can watch tv anywhere inside my house wtv is a PC tablet or android phone.
it would be wiser to set that up yourself with e.g. kodi (instead of outsourcing it "into the cloud", and telling your ISP about your usage habits in full detail).
this is one of these things where linux really shines.

not313

#3 Post by not313 »

debiman wrote:
not313 wrote:My ISP offers me a service where i can watch tv anywhere inside my house wtv is a PC tablet or android phone.
it would be wiser to set that up yourself with e.g. kodi (instead of outsourcing it "into the cloud", and telling your ISP about your usage habits in full detail).
this is one of these things where linux really shines.
I have emailed my ISP and until today i still dont have an answer. What about VLC? Not a huge fan of kodi. The platform provided by my ISP uses http-over-tls and has a normal username password login. Will VLC be able to decrypt the signal?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

I'm s̶u̶r̶p̶r̶i̶s̶e̶d̶ saddened that they are still using a dead platform that's been abandoned by MS. Parallels to XP and the Wannacry ransomware fiasco should be enough warning for them to modernize.
MX Linux packager and developer

not313

#5 Post by not313 »

stevepusser wrote:I'm s̶u̶r̶p̶r̶i̶s̶e̶d̶ saddened that they are still using a dead platform that's been abandoned by MS. Parallels to XP and the Wannacry ransomware fiasco should be enough warning for them to modernize.
Yeah the old its pretty sucky but it keeps me happy with my fav channels

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe you could run their Windows application, using Wine.

It would be nice if you could fool them that your Linux browser is actually running on a tablet or Android phone, since Silverlight is not a issue there, but I'm sure that copy-protection will rear its ugly head. There's a slim chance that if you have the Widevine browser plugin installed on Linux, and fool the service that you're on Android, it could work. Depends on how their system works, I guess.

peer

#7 Post by peer »

the latest firefox (53) and chrome do not support silverlight anymore !!!!!!
So be sure you use an older version.

I do not want windows applications in my linux environment so I do not use wine.
on my pc I have windows with internet explorer and silverlight installed in virtualbox.

not313

#8 Post by not313 »

stevepusser wrote:Maybe you could run their Windows application, using Wine.

It would be nice if you could fool them that your Linux browser is actually running on a tablet or Android phone, since Silverlight is not a issue there, but I'm sure that copy-protection will rear its ugly head. There's a slim chance that if you have the Widevine browser plugin installed on Linux, and fool the service that you're on Android, it could work. Depends on how their system works, I guess.
It doesnt work, they redirect me to the windows 10 app promo page
the latest firefox (53) and chrome do not support silverlight anymore !!!!!!
So be sure you use an older version.

I do not want windows applications in my linux environment so I do not use wine.
on my pc I have windows with internet explorer and silverlight installed in virtualbox.
I did that and the quality is very bad unfortunately, but thanks on the info about FF!

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Oh, that is correct. Pipelight is an NPAPI plugin, and the current FF dropped all support for those except for Flash, and that too will be gone soon.

Microsoft stopped supporting Silverlight back in 2010, and Windows updates removed it from user's systems. IE and Edge won't even run it.

I would guess your ISP has a virtual monopoly in your area? Aren't those wonderful!

peer

#10 Post by peer »

internet explorer still works with silverlight (installed it two weeks ago). I do not know about edge.
Firefox and chrome do not work with silverlight.

My tv- provider also used (and still uses) silverlight for viewing tv on the pc or laptop.
For android they have an app and there is a windows10 app also.
My provider warned me that firefox and chrome do not work with silverlight anymore.

So I installed internet explorer in windows7 in virtualbox and it works. You can also use a slightly older portable version of firefox (I think version 50 or 51 does work) . To optimize the performance in virtualbox you can try to increase the memory and number of cores of the processor. You can also try to optimize windows by shutting down all the services that you need.

FrancoisSauterey

#11 Post by FrancoisSauterey »

pipelight-multi is no more in the Debian jessie :-(
Is some body can give me the 0.2.8 i386 pipelight-multi....deb

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

It never has been. One has always had to follow the instructions on the site to add the repository and the modified wine it requires.