Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mouse-over on any windows shows black band instead of text

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
manmath

Mouse-over on any windows shows black band instead of text

#1 Post by manmath »

Hi, this glitch is on Debian Stretch (upto-date) Mate.

When I mouse-over on any windows it first shows a black band instead of the title text. On second and successive mouse-over proper title text is shown. I'm not sure if it's just me (may be I messed up something) or it affects others too. Please suggest how to fix it. Here are the screenshots for you:

1st mouse-over
2nd mouse-over

PS: While uploading images in the forum, it always shows "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.", that's why I uploaded the images somewhere else and pointed the links here.

debiman

Re: Mouse-over on any windows shows black band instead of te

#2 Post by debiman »

must be compositing related; maybe even video driver.

try to disable compositing in your web browser.
does it help?

try to disable compositing in your desktop environment (maybe hardware accelaration).
does it help?

if this doesn't solve the problem, please post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
glxinfo | grep -iA2 'direct rendering'

manmath wrote:PS: While uploading images in the forum, it always shows "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
that's normal i think.
and thanks for providing suitably cropped & compressed screenshots, saves a lot of bandwidth.

manmath

#3 Post by manmath »

Disabling compositing didn't fix the problem. Well, here's the info you wanted.

manmath@debian:~$ lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller
manmath@debian:~$ glxinfo | grep -iA2 'direct rendering'
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4

From the above, it clearly shows that there's nothing wrong with kernel modules and the graphics driver. I believe it's related to gtk or mate, maybe something is wrong with the theme. But I tried different themes and the issue still persists. Here's the list of installed gtk, icon and theme packages. Please suggest if it lacks certain package.

manmath@debian:~$ dpkg -l | grep 'theme\|icon\|gtk'
ii adwaita-icon-theme 3.22.0-1 all default icon theme of GNOME
ii gir1.2-gtk-3.0:amd64 3.22.12-1 amd64 GTK+ graphical user interface library -- gir bindings
ii gtk-recordmydesktop 0.3.8-4.1 all Graphical frontend for recordMyDesktop screencast tool
ii gtk-update-icon-cache 3.22.12-1 amd64 icon theme caching utility
ii gtk2-engines:amd64 1:2.20.2-3 amd64 theme engines for GTK+ 2.x
ii gtk2-engines-murrine:amd64 0.98.1.1-6 amd64 cairo-based gtk+-2.0 theme engine
ii gtk2-engines-pixbuf:amd64 2.24.31-2 amd64 pixbuf-based theme for GTK+ 2.x
ii hicolor-icon-theme 0.15-1 all default fallback theme for FreeDesktop.org icon themes
ii libcanberra-gtk3-0:amd64 0.30-3 amd64 GTK+ 3.0 helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii libcanberra-gtk3-module:amd64 0.30-3 amd64 translates GTK3 widgets signals to event sounds
ii libdbusmenu-gtk4:amd64 12.10.2-2 amd64 library for passing menus over DBus - GTK+ version
ii libgtk-3-0:amd64 3.22.12-1 amd64 GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii libgtk-3-bin 3.22.12-1 amd64 programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii libgtk-3-common 3.22.12-1 all common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii libgtk2.0-0:amd64 2.24.31-2 amd64 GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii libgtk2.0-bin 2.24.31-2 amd64 programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii libgtk2.0-common 2.24.31-2 all common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii libgtksourceview-3.0-1:amd64 3.22.2-1 amd64 shared libraries for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget
ii libgtksourceview-3.0-common 3.22.2-1 all common files for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget
ii libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18:amd64 2.16.3-2 amd64 JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK+
ii libtext-iconv-perl 1.7-5+b4 amd64 converts between character sets in Perl
ii libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:amd64 2.16.3-2 amd64 Web content engine library for GTK+
ii lightdm-gtk-greeter 2.0.2-1 amd64 simple display manager (GTK+ greeter)
ii mate-icon-theme 1.16.2-1 all MATE Desktop icon theme
ii mate-themes 3.22.11-1 all Official themes for the MATE desktop
ii python-gtk2 2.24.0-5.1 amd64 Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set

manmath

#4 Post by manmath »

I don't see much enthusiasm for this post. Would somebody please suggest me where else I may find some solution? Maybe, mate desktop forum or somewhere.
And also if it's a bug, it needs to be filed at a proper place. Suggest me how to go about it, so that it gets resolved soon.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

sorry it took a little longer, i simply did not log in for a while.
and if someone else would've had a definite idea about what is wrong, i'm sure they would have said something.

i agree that the lspci output looks just normal.
about the glxinfo - i don't know which version of glx you should have. i've seen cases where it was outdated.

does this happen only with the browser?
if so, you should play more with the advanced settings (on ff it would be about:config).
i once had something very similar happening with firefox; i see you use chromium or what is it?

also see here:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chromium+tooltip+is+black

manmath

#6 Post by manmath »

Not in my case. In my other Ubuntu Mate 17.04 system there's no such glitch, it's there on Stretch only.