Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dual boot?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
rennen01

Dual boot?

#1 Post by rennen01 »

Do any of you dual-boot with other distros? And no, I don't mean Windows. :D
root@debian:~$ apt-get install life

Blyiss

#2 Post by Blyiss »

I do.

GMouse

#3 Post by GMouse »

My laptop has a general purpose desktop dual-booting with BackTrack.

rickh

#4 Post by rickh »

I do, Debian 32-bit, and Debian 64-bit.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

ghostdawg

#5 Post by ghostdawg »

I have debian 32 & 64 bit installed, along with Sourcemage Linux, a triple boot!
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Jackiebrown

#6 Post by Jackiebrown »

I have a chroot debian 32 bit install inside my 64 bit one -- I guess that's two os but no need to dual boot.

rickh

#7 Post by rickh »

I have a chroot debian 32 bit install inside my 64 bit one
Why don't you write a comprehensive howto about that?
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

sinical

#8 Post by sinical »

Jackiebrown wrote:I have a chroot debian 32 bit install inside my 64 bit one -- I guess that's two os but no need to dual boot.
I have a 32bit chroot inside the 64bit too. But I also dual boot into xp... visio.
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

rennen01

#9 Post by rennen01 »

hhmm havent tried visio on linux yet :(
root@debian:~$ apt-get install life

sinical

#10 Post by sinical »

There is nothing to try. It doesn't.
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

DeanLinkous

#11 Post by DeanLinkous »

dual? why stop at two....
But then again it isn't different distros - just more debian installs. Occasionally it is some other distro - if someone has asked me to check out a different distro or something.

My laptop usually has at least two/three installs. Two debian right now-clean etch XFCE and Sid/Experimental gnome/xfce/icewm. As well as checking out http://www.elinuxstop.com/forum/ since I won their contest.

My wifes system (which I rarely get to touch) has four extra partitions just to test installs and store our data on.

My kids system (which I occasionally get to use) has a few partitions and is used to test installs as well as other things like backups.

rduke

#12 Post by rduke »

I have 4:

Sid, Lenny, XP, OSX

Telemachus

#13 Post by Telemachus »

rduke wrote:I have 4:

Sid, Lenny, XP, OSX
Is this on an Intel Mac? I'm thinking of trying to put Debian onto a recent intel iMac Mac, but from what I've read the whole bootloader issue is still pretty tricky. Just curious to know if you got it to work.

Oh, and I had been running Debian Sid and Sabayon until yesterday on one box. Got sick of Sabayon though and took back the space for Debian goodness. I will probably carve off a bit again by the end of the week...

rduke

#14 Post by rduke »

Is this on an Intel Mac? I'm thinking of trying to put Debian onto a recent intel iMac Mac, but from what I've read the whole bootloader issue is still pretty tricky. Just curious to know if you got it to work.
No, sorry, I have a Sony Laptop (dual intel)

Telemachus

#15 Post by Telemachus »

rduke wrote:
No, sorry, I have a Sony Laptop (dual intel)
Wow, I'm even more impressed. I thought it was (nearly) impossible to put OSX onto anything but Mac hardware. Cool.

rduke

#16 Post by rduke »

Wow, I'm even more impressed. I thought it was (nearly) impossible to put OSX onto anything but Mac hardware. Cool.
Well, the intel macs are nothing more than ordinary pcs. Apple has put roadblocks to try to make it so you can't run OSX on an ordinary dual intel machine but, of course, they have been well hacked by now. I got the howto info from http://www.osx86project.org/

I don't actually use OSX except to impress my snobby mac friends that their "superior" hardware is, in fact, rather ordinary. This effort has been largely unsuccessful. In general, Mac users tend to be more ignorant of computer/os issues even than windows people. After all, who can admit that they paid a premium for nada. You have to admit that Apple Corp. is a genius marketer.

hcgtv

#17 Post by hcgtv »

rduke wrote:I don't actually use OSX except to impress my snobby mac friends that their "superior" hardware is, in fact, rather ordinary.
As it stands now, I don't really lust for a Mac as I did when the G5's came out.

On the dual boot, I just have WinXP and Debian Etch on my laptop. There was a time I had Win98, OpenBSD, BeOS and Red Hat on a Sony Vaio, had a lot of fun back then.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard