Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] No sound on Jessie

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
chadrick

[Solved] No sound on Jessie

#1 Post by chadrick »

Hi All,

I have spent hours reading internet posts, trying code, reinstalling, removing, updating etc. The last thing I tried was reinstalling the kernel.

I am unable to get any sound to work.

Instead of me blindly leading you down the wrong alley, I want to start from the beginning. Please tell me the first step that I should do and we can walk through this together.

chadrick
Last edited by chadrick on 2017-06-11 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

orythem27

Re: No sound on Jessie

#2 Post by orythem27 »

If your computer contains some recent released chipsets, it would help a lot to install stretch.

Check for common problems such as muted channels in alsamixer, or device not selected in pavucontrol.

Test with speaker-test or aplay. Watch terminal output and journalctl -f for traces of error.

Or if you could provide some more basic background infomation, it would make it easier for the other more experienced forum members to help you. Execute the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd
wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
Select "OK -> UPLOAD/SHARE -> No"

The script will return a link http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, post the link here.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

I don't know if it is still the case but in the past the default for Alsa was OFF!. Open alsamixer and make sure that the master column is ON.

chadrick

#4 Post by chadrick »

orythem27 wrote: The script will return a link http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, post the link here.
Here is the link: Your ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3e871 ... 83fedd2675

chadrick

chadrick

#5 Post by chadrick »

Bulkley wrote:I don't know if it is still the case but in the past the default for Alsa was OFF!. Open alsamixer and make sure that the master column is ON.
I do not see alsamixer. I am using XFCE if that matters. I see Audio Mixer but it open has dummy output.

orythem27

#6 Post by orythem27 »

chadrick wrote:snd_hda_intel: index=#CARD NUM#
[ 10.999912] snd_hda_intel: `#CARD' invalid for parameter `index'
You have an invalid parameter 'index' for snd_hda_intel, which is causing it refuse to load, which causes no soundcard detected. Remove such option, possibly in /etc/modprobe.d/, and reboot.

I would guess such an option was put there by yourself earlier when you were "reading internet posts, trying code" as you failed to replace the placeholder "#CARD NUM#" by the actual index.

That being said, although removing such an option would allow snd_hda_intel to load, but due to the fact that you put that invalid option there trying to fix audio, you would probably still hear no sound even if snd_hda_intel is loaded. If so, post back and we'll futher investigate the "original" issue. Or you might self-test before post again following the few instructions in post #2.
chadrick wrote:I do not see alsamixer.
Run alsamixer in a terminal and check output channels. You probably would have to choose the sound card by pressing F6. Of course, you have to remove the invalid option first to let your sound card being detected.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

You could let us know something about your hardware, just so we don't waste time trying to get something working on the Jessie kernel that never will.

As sysadmin:

update-pciids
update-usbids
apt install inxi
As regular user:

inxi -F
and give us the output in a code box.
MX Linux packager and developer

chadrick

#8 Post by chadrick »

orythem27 wrote: You have an invalid parameter 'index' for snd_hda_intel, which is causing it refuse to load, which causes no soundcard detected. Remove such option, possibly in /etc/modprobe.d/, and reboot.
That worked! Thank you very much! My daughter will be very happy to have sound back. :D

chadrick