Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Soundconverter GStreamer Error When Using Opus

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
rainy

Soundconverter GStreamer Error When Using Opus

#1 Post by rainy »

Hi Folks,
I just installed Debian Stretch RC4 and added a few programs using apt such as soundconverter. When I launched soundconverter I was delighted to see that Opus is now available as a selectable codec and decided to test it out. However I keep getting the error below when attempting to convert some FLAC files to Opus (the files covert to vorbis just fine):

"GStreamer error when creating pipeline"
"gst_parse_error: no property "cbr" in element "opusenc36" (2)"

A quick google, led me to the following link which suggests that this raised was a bug in August 2016.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=834598

Can anyone confirm if the fix has made it through to Debian Stretch or if there is anything I can install or do to fix it? I have tried installing "gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly" but the error is still present.

Thanks.

phenest

Re: Soundconverter GStreamer Error When Using Opus

#2 Post by phenest »

rainy wrote:I just installed Debian Stretch RC4 and added a few programs using apt such as soundconverter.
Can anyone confirm if the fix has made it through to Debian Stretch
Well, you just tried it and got an error, so I guess not.
rainy wrote:"GStreamer error when creating pipeline"
"gst_parse_error: no property "cbr" in element "opusenc36" (2)"

A quick google, led me to the following link which suggests that this raised was a bug in August 2016.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=834598
That bug report states on 16 May 2017:
This issue was fixed in 3.0.0~beta1-1, which uploaded to experimental some minutes ago.
Stretch's version is 3.0.0~alpha1+git20151209-1 so it's still in experimental I guess.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

phenest

#3 Post by phenest »

I installed the version from experimental, and it converts to opus without the errors.
https://packages.debian.org/experimental/soundconverter

rainy

#4 Post by rainy »

phenest wrote:I installed the version from experimental, and it converts to opus without the errors.
https://packages.debian.org/experimental/soundconverter
Thanks phenest.

Since the error was known since 2016, is there a reason why it would not be fixed in Soundconverter 2.9 (i.e. the version in Debian Stretch)?

I believe Debian Stretch is frozen and about to go stable in the next week. Surely an obvious, non obscure bug like this should be fixed prior to the freezing process. Isn't that the point of Debian stable? Perhaps this is considered a minor bug and not important to the package maintainers.

Hopefully this bug will be fixed by the time Debian Stretch is released though! Debian Stretch looks great, but it is a pity the Opus codec does not work in Soundconverter.

Thanks.

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

The fix was made after the freeze for Stretch, and as the bug doesn't render soundconverter completely unusable (the other codecs work), it not vital to Stretch's release.

May be once Stretch becomes stable, it might filter down.