Why I do not use Gnome anymore

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby debiman » 2017-05-21 11:03

i do find it a bit weird that for every bit of non-standard functionality one has to install an extension, and that these aren't installed the usual way but by clicking a link on a website...
what happened to good old config files? much easier imho.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby phenest » 2017-05-21 18:34

You make it sound like a big deal. You only install them once, much like any other piece of software.
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - nVidia 660GTX - LG BH16NS55 (UHD friendly)
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby n_hologram » 2017-05-21 19:34

debiman wrote:i do find it a bit weird that for every bit of non-standard functionality one has to install an extension, and that these aren't installed the usual way but by clicking a link on a website...
what happened to good old config files? much easier imho.

Can you install them via command line (apt-get)?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram
 
Posts: 453
Joined: 2013-06-16 00:10

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby phenest » 2017-05-21 19:36

n_hologram wrote:Can you install them via command line (apt-get)?

Yes.
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - nVidia 660GTX - LG BH16NS55 (UHD friendly)
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby n_hologram » 2017-05-21 19:38

Yeah, then I don't see how that's any different than standard desktop environments.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram
 
Posts: 453
Joined: 2013-06-16 00:10

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby phenest » 2017-05-21 21:17

And no different to custom DE's.
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - nVidia 660GTX - LG BH16NS55 (UHD friendly)
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-05-25 21:11

Oh no! Something has gone wrong

by VaporTrail »---- Jessie installs and runs fine on this laptop if I choose KDE or XFCE during installation. It is only if I try to install Gnome,-----snip--


Post by stevepusser » 2017-05-25 14:33
KDE and xfce don't require the same level of 3D as default in the desktop as GNOME 3


To me, it seems like the solution to the problem is clear, ------

A couple of years ago I started noticing the problems associated with Gnome,
there is nothing wrong with my hardware either. I am still using the same hardware
today, and it ( my hardware) works just fine , as long as Gnome is not involved. So I use a Window Manager, Open Box, it works better then Gnome ever did,.. since my wife likes a DE
better, I have XFCE on her laptop,..
I am not going to go out and buy brand new hardware, just so I can use Gnome, not when every other WM or DE work just fine ,.. (well actually I don't know on KDE, I have not tried
it,...)
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5877
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby MALsPa » 2017-05-26 04:27

GarryRicketson wrote:To me, it seems like the solution to the problem is clear, -----

To me, as well. Those who don't like using GNOME shouldn't use it. There, problem solved.
MALsPa
 
Posts: 648
Joined: 2007-12-07 19:20
Location: albuquerque

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby phenest » 2017-05-26 12:32

Will you do that every time Garry when someone posts a problem with Gnome, You'll post it here and use it as a reason why you won't use Gnome. It's not like the OP of that topic was complaining. :roll:
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - nVidia 660GTX - LG BH16NS55 (UHD friendly)
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby debiman » 2017-05-26 13:27

MALsPa wrote:To me, as well. Those who don't like using GNOME shouldn't use it. There, problem solved.

yes, but then this wonderful thread couldn't continue for ever and ever... :roll:
it's just one of these topics that never ceases to evoke reactions, discussions and disagreements from all over.
Image
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-05-26 14:37

phenest wrote:Will you do that every time Garry when someone posts a problem with Gnome, You'll post it here and use it as a reason why you won't use Gnome. It's not like the OP of that topic was complaining. :roll:

If you have a problem with what I post, please use the report button, or PM me,..it seems like you have nothing better to do then follow me around, and post complaints about my posts.
To answer your question, or I guess it was a question, but there is no question mark,no probably not every time, but when I feel like it, I will.
I did nothing wrong in posting this here, and I never said anything about the OP in the other topic complaining, ,,, no they were not complaining, ........
Gnome started becoming very problematic several years ago, so that is why I stopped
using it.
I does not appear that the developers of Gnome care, not have much interest in trying
to fix the problems with it. But really that does not matter, since there are so many better
options.
==== RE: Solution Of Your Cycle Storage ====
That is a pretty neat advertisement, almost all the factories around here have those,
they are pretty convenient and do help save space, it is also nice to have a place that has shade for ones bicycle. , thanks for sharing the photo.
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5877
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby phenest » 2017-05-26 15:01

GarryRicketson wrote: Gnome started becoming very problematic several years ago, so that is why I stopped
using it.
I does not appear that the developers of Gnome care, not have much interest in trying
to fix the problems with it. But really that does not matter, since there are so many better
options.

Perhaps the Gnome developers don't see any problems. Why would they, it's like that by design. That is, assuming you're not referring to bugs.
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - nVidia 660GTX - LG BH16NS55 (UHD friendly)
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby Nili » 2017-05-27 09:34

Because i find Window Manager (WM) simpler easy to config settings. Also i'd like to do individual work more than static default settings.
So, Always Window Manager my choice.
Devuan | Fluxbox
User avatar
Nili
 
Posts: 371
Joined: 2014-04-30 14:04
Location: $HOME/♫♪

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-06-13 21:32

phenest wrote:Will you do that every time Garry when someone posts a problem with Gnome, You'll post it here and use it as a reason why you won't use Gnome. It's not like the OP of that topic was complaining. :roll:


Just to be clear, again, no I don't do this every time, but when I saw
the signature, in this thread, and I would rather not de-rail a topic/thread
with comments not related,...


From : http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133409
silvaf6, signature: Dammit Debian, I installed you again because you used to be rock solid :P


Debian still is "rock solid",... Gnome is the problem, hard core Gnome users are sort of like windows users, they just refuse to accept the fact, it is not a good DE any more.

phenest wrote:Post by phenest » 2017-05-26 09:01

GarryRicketson wrote:
Gnome started becoming very problematic several years ago, so that is why I stopped
using it.
I does not appear that the developers of Gnome care, not have much interest in trying
to fix the problems with it. But really that does not matter, since there are so many better
options.


Perhaps the Gnome developers don't see any problems. Why would they, it's like that by design. That is, assuming you're not referring to bugs.

That is exactly it, the Gnome developers don't see any problems, and refuse
to fix any of the bugs, it is "by design", which to me is a good reason to look for something better, and there are plenty of better options.
Now people are saying things like this:
Dammit Debian, I installed you again because you used to be rock solid :P

But it is not really Debian, except for the fact that they include it in the repositories,
Install Debian, but with out Gnome , and you still have a rock solid system.
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5877
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Postby phenest » 2017-06-14 07:20

You say you're not going to do it every time, but you have just done it again.

Every comment I've read (not just yours Garry) about Gnome Shell being no good are purely subjective, and say more about the user than it does about Gnome.

I think I'm going to start a new topic:
"Why I do not complain about Gnome anymore since learning how to use it"
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - nVidia 660GTX - LG BH16NS55 (UHD friendly)
User avatar
phenest
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: 2010-03-09 09:38
Location: The Matrix

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

fashionable