Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MATE 1.18 in /usr/local/

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Frotz

MATE 1.18 in /usr/local/

#1 Post by Frotz »

Would someone please explain how to get MATE 1.18 working when I build it from source and install it in /usr/local? MATE, as installed through APT, was removed from my system prior to doing this. I added /usr/local/share/xsessions to the sessions-director path in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. This allows me to see MATE as an option when logging in. When I log in, the screen flashes and I'm back to the login screen. I don't see anything relevant in /var/log/* about this. I was able to get MATE working by executing mate-session in .xinitrc for use with startx, but no themes are visible... and I DID install the mate-themes package.

Is anyone else here tinkering with bleeding-edge MATE? How are you going about it?

stevepusser

Re: MATE 1.18 in /usr/local/

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The easier way for a beginner to do it would to rebuild and install debianized source files on your system, though you then have to do them in a particular order--build and install the foundations, then the walls, then the roof, then lay on the paint, etc.

Are you familiar with rebuilding deb packages from source? It does a lot of steps for you automatically if you follow some simple steps. You could rebuild the 1.18 MATE from the debianized source in my OBS repo--I'm pretty sure you will need to disable a patch I had to add to /debian/patches for mate-control-center for it to build in the OBS--that patch will cause a build failure on a local build--the Yangoon-Rangoon one.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... Debian_8.0

Or you could just install my Jessie version from the repo without the incompatible marco, then build and install marco 1.18 deb packages on Stretch--that ought to work if you want the marco window manager.
MX Linux packager and developer

Frotz

#3 Post by Frotz »

Thanks. I figured out that a separate repo is provided at https://github.com/mate-desktop/debian-packages specifically for making debs. You have to do it one at a time in the proper order (figure that out for yourself) and install the debs as you make them to build the next one. And it's hardcoded to assume your sources are in $HOME/mate/*. I'm still building.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

What you need to build each package will be listed in the debian/control file. Mate-common is the first. If you use the debuild command to build packages, it will tell you just what is missing from your system.

VentGrey

#5 Post by VentGrey »

The thing i'm still researching (with no results) is why the hell we still don't have MATE 1.18 :shock: , ive tried more distros and I think only Debian and OpenSUSE are still stuck in MATE 1.16 (But ours uses GTK3, not GTK2 like SUSE's one). Is there any particular reason that no one has packaged them for Sid? I mean I tried to, i could use it by removing the patch @stevepusser said but....i don't know this is super weird.
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

VentGrey

#6 Post by VentGrey »

Just if it is useful to anyone the build order is:

Code: Select all

mate-common

mate-desktop

libmatewnck

libmateweather

mate-icon-theme

caja

marco

mate-settings-daemon

mate-session-manager

mate-menus

mate-panel

mate-control-center
After this you can build the extras :mrgreen:

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

If the openSUSE build service provides a Stretch build platform after Stretch goes stable, which I expect them to do, then I'll provide a repo for 1.18, too.

VentGrey

#8 Post by VentGrey »

I'm going to update the mate-settings-daemon since it has a "critical" bug that does not allow users to change wallpapers, quite annoying if you ask me.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

stevepusser wrote:If the openSUSE build service provides a Stretch build platform after Stretch goes stable, which I expect them to do, then I'll provide a repo for 1.18, too.
And I found out today that Stretch support has been added, so packages are a'building. If anybody hits the wallpaper bug, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

Packages are still building--when the repo gets published, you should be able to follow the instructions here: https://software.opensuse.org//download ... nvironment

and check to see how the repo is doing here first: https://software.opensuse.org//download ... nvironment

Don't try and add the repo until everything is built. I can see that some of the packages need some tweaking to build on the Stretch OBS platform.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

OK, it's done for Debian 9. The three builds I disabled for Stretch are because Stretch already has them by default.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Did a test install of the Stretch version in a virtual machine (antiX 17 a3)

No issues with the install, and background changing also has no issues.

Verequies

#12 Post by Verequies »

stevepusser wrote:Did a test install of the Stretch version in a virtual machine (antiX 17 a3)

No issues with the install, and background changing also has no issues.
I've been playing around with your build for a couple of days now - it's working pretty well. However I have noticed that Mozo doesn't open when right-clicking 'Applications -> Edit Menus'. This bug was fixed in mate-panel 1.18.3. Would be awesome if you could update your builds.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

Thanks for the tip--will do that tomorrow!

Edit: Actually, it was already in the PPA I get the sources from, so I just added it. It should show up as an update fairly soon. There are a few more updates I'll do tomorrow, and I also want to add the Brisk menu.

Verequies

#14 Post by Verequies »

stevepusser wrote:Thanks for the tip--will do that tomorrow!

Edit: Actually, it was already in the PPA I get the sources from, so I just added it. It should show up as an update fairly soon. There are a few more updates I'll do tomorrow, and I also want to add the Brisk menu.
Sweet! Updates just came through - fixes the Mozo issue I was having. Thanks for that. Also I noticed that Engrampa needs to be updated from 1.18.1 to 1.18.2, Caja from 1.18.2 to 1.18.3 & Pluma from 1.18.1 to 1.18.2, according to http://pub.mate-desktop.org/releases/1.18/?C=M&O=A, which I assume are some of the updates you're doing tomorrow. Otherwise, everything else seems up to date :).

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

OK, upgraded those and a few others. You can see what's been changed recently and if all the packages are finished from the main page of that project: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... :MATE-1.18

The latest brisk-menu 0.4.5 fails with some syntax error I can't figure out, so I rebuilt the current Stretch version against the newer libraries.

Verequies

#16 Post by Verequies »

Awesome, I received all updates except for Pluma? I'll have a go at compiling Brisk Menu, may be able to figure it out.

Verequies

#17 Post by Verequies »

Okay, got it to compile just fine - no errors. I uploaded the .deb here - removed. Before installing I had to just install all the MATE development files and then compiled with ./configure --prefix=/usr. It may be because I'm using Debian Unstable? What was the syntax error you received?
Last edited by Verequies on 2017-06-17 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

Well,sometime the OBS has quirks that don't appear when the same code is rebuilt on our own machines. This one is stumping me, though 0.2.0 builds just fine. Maybe if I change the autoreconf procedure...

Go to this link: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... menu-0.4.5

and click on the "failed" result on the right to see the build log, though it will be changing as I experiment. The lines are currently:

[  236s] checking for MENU... yes
[  236s] checking for APPLET... yes
[  236s] ./configure: line 13339: syntax error near unexpected token `0.50.0'
[  236s] ./configure: line 13339: `IT_PROG_INTLTOOL(0.50.0)'
[  236s] /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/autotools.mk:44: recipe for target 'debian/stamp-autotools' failed
[  236s] make: *** [debian/stamp-autotools] Error 2
[  236s] dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
[  236s] 
[  236s] lamb68 failed "build brisk-menu_0.4.5-0.obs.dsc" at Fri Jun 16 18:06:26 UTC 2017.
[  236s] 
[  236s] ### VM INTERACTION START ###
[  239s] [  220.926585] reboot: Power down
So something in the configure script that was regenerated caused the failure.

Edit: Googling the error shows it may be a missing "intltool" build-depend in the debian/control file that causes that syntax error, so I'll try adding it...

Yeah, that fixed it. Forehead slap for me for not just webresearching the error message earlier, but somehow intltool must get pulled in automatically in a PPA build, but not in a Debian Stretch OBS virtual machine.

Verequies

#19 Post by Verequies »

Funny how just a quick Google search can fix most issues in seconds, and yet its one of the last things we check sometimes - oh well we are only Human :D. Also I noticed why Pluma hadn't updated. I think you accidentally uploaded the Engrampa source to the Pluma folder? https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... 1.18/pluma

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

D'oh! OK, that's fixed now, thanks for catching that.