Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MATE Desktop Maximised Window Unsnapping Bug

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Verequies

MATE Desktop Maximised Window Unsnapping Bug

#1 Post by Verequies »

Is anyone else having an issue where if you start an application that uses a non-native window - like Google Chrome - maximised, upon unsnapping it from being maximised it creates a native window. I've had this issue for a while now, thought it may have been a bug in MATE 1.16, however I updated to MATE 1.18 and its still there. I recorded a short video to show the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsqaj2NX4as.

TonyT

Re: MATE Desktop Maximised Window Unsnapping Bug

#2 Post by TonyT »

Not sure I see the problem in your video. All of my windows on MATE behave that way, based on theme settings. Even chrome can be set to use the GTK theme somewhat (use system titlebar and borders).

Verequies

#3 Post by Verequies »

TonyT wrote:Not sure I see the problem in your video. All of my windows on MATE behave that way, based on theme settings. Even chrome can be set to use the GTK theme somewhat (use system titlebar and borders).
There's graphical corruption, and the issue is that it shouldn't be creating a native titlebar/border when unmaximising an application that started in that state. It happens with every application I use that doesn't use a native window/title/border. Here's an example of the issue with dconf-editor:

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Do you still get that corruption if you try a different window manager in MATE, such as compiz, compiz-reloaded, metacity, xfwm4, etc?

I would also try the compton compositor instead of marco's to see if that makes any difference.
MX Linux packager and developer

Verequies

#5 Post by Verequies »

Thanks for the suggestion, after testing the issue in a number of different window managers, the issue was still apparent in most, including compiz & metacity. xfwm4 was actually okay, however the window didn't change back to the unmaximised size and instead just detached from the top panel as a full screen window. The only window managers where there was graphical corruption were marco/metacity. I also tested KWin, and that was actually fine, no issues there, apart from the rather large window borders - is there a way to configure KWin's windows too look like MATE's? - and having to install most of Plasma. So I guess I could just switch to KWin if I can't figure out whats causing this issue. Compton also didn't make a difference.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

You should be able to install systemsettings and change the window decorations in kwin there. I don't know if their built-in downloader for new ones is working, but I think if you install ocs-url, you can directly install them from a web browser at kde-look.org.

I'm not certain how KDE 5 will work, but you might try installing qt5ct and setting Qt 5 to follow the gtk style for the window theme itself. I think that has the same effect as manually editing ~/.config/TrollTech.conf and adding this:

Code: Select all

[Qt]
style=GTK+
If that doesn't work, maybe you can find matching gtk and KDE themes. If you use Arc for example, you can use Kvantum to set Qt5 to a matching Arc theme. Debian doesn't have kde-style-kvantum, but hang on and I'll set up a Stretch repo for it; it's a very nice looking set of styles, IMO.

Edit: I actually set up a repo for it a couple months ago for the Ubuntus that had a new enough Qt 5, so just added Stretch to that project (just a matter of clicking a checkbox): https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... le-kvantum
MX Linux packager and developer

Verequies

#7 Post by Verequies »

Yeah, I was able to install systemsettings and you can change the window decorations. However you could only change the window border size and the ability to download new decorations didn't work. Currently I'm using the Numix theme and I'm not wanting to change the theme at the moment, so if there is a Numix KDE theme that would be awesome. I'll have a look at Kvantum anyhow.