Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is the debian testing cycle unnecessarily long?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
prahladyeri

Is the debian testing cycle unnecessarily long?

#1 Post by prahladyeri »

As against a "semi-stable" system such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint that provides the right mix of stability and latest features, what does one achieve by running an absolutely stable (but consisting of old packages) system like debian?

Considering that both Mint and Ubuntu are far more popular than debian (though they are both derivatives of debian itself), don't you think that the debian testing cycle of 2 years is far longer than necessary? Is it a good idea to reduce that time a bit to compensate for more latest features? Or alternatively, create a separate LTS branch which makes more sense for servers, and let the main branch consist of shorter cycle for desktop based PCs and laptops? I believe this is the approach that Ubuntu follows.

kopper

Re: Is the debian testing cycle unnecessarily long?

#2 Post by kopper »

What about unstable or testing? If you consider stable as LTS release, I think you have answered your own question.

EDIT: Running 'absolutely' stable has it's use cases. SInce many production systems do not need latest features (except for security updates), 2 year release cycle may be even too fast in certain environments. If it works, don't touch it. :P
Last edited by kopper on 2017-06-17 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

No.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

How many threads you gonna open about this?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=133459
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

prahladyeri

#6 Post by prahladyeri »

kopper wrote:What about unstable or testing?
I'm considering that since a very long time, but don't know how tough handling a testing machine is going to be, considering that I'm not a seasoned linux pro and just a regular user. I know a bit of python programming and basic stuff like apt-get, bash, starting/stopping systemctl services, etc. But if something breaks at the kernel level after a testing update, what am I going to do? The usual advice you get here is not to use testing as a regular distribution, only do it if you are doing it for actual testing, or you are a seasoned linux pro.

prahladyeri

#7 Post by prahladyeri »

phenest wrote:How many threads you gonna open about this?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=133459
My apologies, but that question about freezing was just a part of my thought process, I hadn't actually formulated my question yet. Should I delete that question?

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

prahladyeri wrote:Should I delete that question?
What you "should" do is crawl back under your bridge.

AFAICT, any time you get bored, you come here and post some variant of this "question." You've done it for years now.

Depending on your mood when you create each thread, sometimes you claim to be "new," other times you claim to be a "power user." But you never give any indication of paying any attention at all to the responses you receive.

Since you are so fond of Ubuntu, what you "should" do is go troll their forums. Explain to them that their release cycle is nonsensically short and "ask" why they don't adopt Debian's superior release model. See how far it gets you.

ImageDon't feed the troll

Obligatory time-saver link