Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Minimal KDE Plasma / Full Screen Menu missing [SOLVED]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
brodan

Minimal KDE Plasma / Full Screen Menu missing [SOLVED]

#1 Post by brodan »

Hi; I hope someone can offer some possible insight.

I did a netinstall of the latest Stretch rc .iso with only the base system. I then booted into the CLI and added sddm and kde-plasma-desktop. After rebooting from that, it gave me a very minimal yet fully-functional Plasma desktop with hardly anything installed...exactly what I wanted! :D It's also surprisingly light on system resources considering it's Plasma. :wink:

However, it's missing the full-screen menu (not sure what the actual name of that menu is called...sorry). I can live without it, but I would like to have it if possible. I installed Muon, and I've looked through all of the KDE software available, but nothing has jumped out at me as to what to install to gain the additional full-screen menu.

Does anyone know what I need to install for the full-screen menu?

I do know that when I did a full-install of the KDE desktop, the full-screen menu was included.

Thank you for any possible help!
Last edited by brodan on 2017-06-18 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Minimal KDE Plasma / Full Screen Menu missing

#2 Post by sunrat »

It's called Application Dashboard. Did you right click on the K Menu icon and try "Aternatives"? You need to Unlock Widgets first.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

brodan wrote:It's also surprisingly light on system resources considering it's Plasma. :wink:
How much it uses resources?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

brodan

Re: Minimal KDE Plasma / Full Screen Menu missing [SOLVED]

#4 Post by brodan »

sunrat wrote:It's called Application Dashboard. Did you right click on the K Menu icon and try "Aternatives"? You need to Unlock Widgets first.
Yes, it wasn't listed as one of the Alternatives though.

However, I finally found it a few minutes ago. After installing the plasma-widgets-addons package, it was then available. I had looked at that package before, but the Application Dashboard wasn't listed as one of the included widgets in the description, so I didn't install it to begin with.

Edited to give a better description of how to install the Application Dashboard
Last edited by brodan on 2017-06-21 20:37, edited 2 times in total.

brodan

#5 Post by brodan »

None1975 wrote:
brodan wrote:It's also surprisingly light on system resources considering it's Plasma. :wink:
How much it uses resources?
A picture speaks a thousand words... :)

It's booting up at under 200 MBs of Memory. :shock:
Part of that is due to the fact that I turned off a lot of the desktop effects. Before turning them off, it was booting up at a whopping +/- 230 MBs of RAM. :lol:

A little over 20 MBs of memory usage in the screenshot is from the screenshot utility.

Click the picture to enlarge it.