Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Problem with archive keys

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MH

[SOLVED] Problem with archive keys

#1 Post by MH »

I'm running Stretch on several machines. After a recent update on one machine I am no longer able to access Debian repositories (I changed sources.list several times). I'm getting the classic "public key not found" error messages for ALL archives in the list.

I'm using the exact same sources.list file on other machines and there is no problem. I reinstalled the debian-archive-keyring package but continue to receive the same error messages. I have no idea how to proceed from here.
Last edited by MH on 2017-06-21 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
DOS > Windows > Corel > RH > Libranet > Xandros > SuSE > Debian:KDE

"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere." --Voltaire

phenest

Re: Problem with archive keys

#2 Post by phenest »

Maybe this is a good place to start:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00267.html
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

MH

#3 Post by MH »

Your link is to someone having a problem with CREATING a Debian mirror. I am simply trying to update my packages, something that was previously working but is now broken for unknown reasons. I don't see anything in your link that is useful. In case it wasn't clear, the error message I receive is:

"The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:"

Extensive searching has not revealed any solutions. Since I have other machines with identically configured repositories that are not experiencing the problem, I suspect something has become corrupted on the machine with the problem. I'd like to avoid doing a complete reinstall to solve the problem.

dcihon

#4 Post by dcihon »

How about starting here:

Code: Select all

inxi -r

MH

[SOLVED]Re: Problem with archive keys

#5 Post by MH »

I was able to manually import the "missing" keys from the MIT pgp key server. I tried this previously without success, receiving a "valid pgp key not found" error, but it may have been a different key server.

In any case, I no longer get the "public key unavailable" error. The only question I have is why did APT fail to find the necessary keys? As noted previously, my other boxen did not experience this problem. I assume Debian installs a default key server list somewhere automatically, but I have no idea where and certainly didn't make any changes.

phenest

#6 Post by phenest »

MH wrote:I don't see anything in your link that is useful.
And I don't see any evidence of your own research. That was just the first link I came across from Googling "public key not found".

phenest

#7 Post by phenest »

Check the last 2 posts on this thread:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ead#unread

MH

#8 Post by MH »

phenest wrote:Check the last 2 posts on this thread:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ead#unread
So it looks like Debian deprecated the APT gpg key location. Odd that reinstalling debian-archive-keyring didn't resolve my problem. Still, why did I have this problem on only one of the 4 machines I have using Stretch? Very strange. In any case, I wish I had found that topic when googling for a solution. Would have saved me a lot of time.