Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Viber on Debian Stretch - No internet connection

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kralymarko

Viber on Debian Stretch - No internet connection

#1 Post by kralymarko »

Hi all,

I've searched the web and this forum but with no solution of the following problem:

I've got a brand new HP Probook 430 G3. Debian 8.3 stable was not able to meet requirements of new hardware. So I've upgraded to Debian testing (Stretch) and put a new kernel as well - 4.3. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting + https://scottlinux.com/2013/11/23/how-t ... backports/

I've installed a proper driver for wifi - iwlwifi. I've a connection with a cable as well. Both cases - 50 Mbps nice Internet.

I've downloaded and installed successfully Viber 64 bit. I can start it and type my mobile number. At the next screen I've a notice: "An Internet connection is required to activate your Viber account. Check your connection and try again". I've same Viber problem when I connect my laptop with a cable.

I've a PC with Debian 8.3 running Viber successfully. Both computers are connected to my router. PC - with a cable, laptop - with wifi n. So router should not be the problem.

Any suggestions?

Best, Simeon

michalurban1982

Re: Viber on Debian Stretch - No internet connection

#2 Post by michalurban1982 »

I've got the same problem. Clean installation of Debian 8.3, connection ok, viber installed successfully - but "internet connection required" when trying to activate.
WTF? It just worked on Mint 17.3 an hour ago ...

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

Since this program is not contained in a repo and does not have a maintainer, your only way to get any information on this is to contact the producers of Viber.

michalurban1982

#4 Post by michalurban1982 »

Not that they respond ... I understand though.

mrleus

#5 Post by mrleus »

I find way to start viber. First of all i delete ~/.ViberPC folder.

Then i use older version of viber to authenticate with server. I used this link http://download.cdn.viber.com/cdn/deskt ... /Viber.zip
after that you have new ViberPC folder. Now i started new version and works.

I have still problem with pictures i can download them.. but chat works..

I hope this will help, workd for me.

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

so, does the solution offered here:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... le#p609852

not work in stretch?

dimitrismj

#7 Post by dimitrismj »

I have the same problem with viber in debian testing. I installed it with gdebi. I managed to install all the necessary dependencies in order to start it but it can't find network connection. Has anybody found any solution that works? None of the above solutions work for me. I'm sad! :(

dirkme

#8 Post by dirkme »

dimitrismj wrote:I have the same problem with viber in debian testing. I installed it with gdebi. I managed to install all the necessary dependencies in order to start it but it can't find network connection. Has anybody found any solution that works? None of the above solutions work for me. I'm sad! :(
Same here nothing works and no one seems to care :shock:

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

It should be obvious why no one cares. The software is not open source and therefore it is not easy to guess what the problem is if Viber themselves don't know or want to investigate it

However, try running with gksu

dirkme

#10 Post by dirkme »

pylkko wrote:It should be obvious why no one cares. The software is not open source and therefore it is not easy to guess what the problem is if Viber themselves don't know or want to investigate it

However, try running with gksu
I am on Debian 9 stretch and I am missing 1 dependency. Also Viber reports as a broken installation.

However, it starts, but it has the "no connection error" running and none of the old fixes works.

I might have to install it in wine, but I am very reluctant to get a mini windows on my computer.

Segfault

#11 Post by Segfault »

Have you run it with strace.

pylkko

#12 Post by pylkko »

Ok. So, I don't have Viber, but the advice I offered was something that another user with Viber had found to work. Does it not work for you?

sam81

#13 Post by sam81 »

Installed Stretch just after it was released and couldn't install Viber from the .deb package (dependency libssl1.0.0 not satisfiable). However unpacking the .deb with ark and running directly the binary worked, but I hit the "no internet connection" error. To get around this I had to install 'libssl1.0-dev' (replacing 'libssl-dev'). Seems to work so far.

cvele

#14 Post by cvele »

I've tried sam81 sollution, it works for me but when I do apt upgrade, i get errors and apt uninstalls viber. What I did is I added jessie repository (added this in APT line in Software & Updates "deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian jessie main"), updated packages

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
, installed libssl1.0.0 (with -f option)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -f libssl1.0.0
and after that I removed jessie repo. Now everithing works fine :)