Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 and fglrx

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
lizzias

Debian 9 and fglrx

#1 Post by lizzias »

what's the scoop? how to install? catalyst still supports xorg 1.17 right?

added main contrib and non-free to my repos... still nothing

my 42 inch tv is kinda old and has overscan issues so i really need the catalyst/fglrx support as the xrandr just doesn't do the job adequately.

here's my Brix specs if that matters:

```
Machine: Device: laptop Mobo: GIGABYTE model: M1M3XCP-00 v: 1.x BIOS: American Megatrends v: F3 date: 10/30/2015
CPU: Quad core AMD A8-5557M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 16774
clock speeds: max: 2100 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 2100 MHz 4: 1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8550G] bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.17.4) driver: fglrx Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 8550G GLX Version: 4.5.13399 15.201.1151 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.11.6-1-MANJARO
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8168 v: 8.044.02-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 05:00.0
IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 06:00.0
IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter>

```

though i have manjaro xfce with fglrx installed i am tring to install debian 9 on this hard drive and then transfer it over to my a6 apu machine

orythem27

Re: Debian 9 and fglrx

#2 Post by orythem27 »

lizzias wrote:what's the scoop? how to install?
Since fglrx has been abadoned by AMD, it has been removed from the official Debian repositories. Your only luck is to use the AMD official installer. Of course, you need to downgrade xserver-xorg to 1.17 and kernel to 3.19. If you are lucky, you might find some patches in the wild, enabling it to be built atop Linux 4.x. (Don't expect 4.9 though. I guess I've seen patches for Linux 4.4)

lizzias

#3 Post by lizzias »

Thanks for that. Much appreciated

lizzias

#4 Post by lizzias »

orythem27 wrote:
lizzias wrote:what's the scoop? how to install?
Since fglrx has been abadoned by AMD, it has been removed from the official Debian repositories. Your only luck is to use the AMD official installer. Of course, you need to downgrade xserver-xorg to 1.17 and kernel to 3.19. If you are lucky, you might find some patches in the wild, enabling it to be built atop Linux 4.x. (Don't expect 4.9 though. I guess I've seen patches for Linux 4.4)
Yes i know it's been abandoned but you know what? Lot's of people have perfectly good working amd graphics that still work with fglrx. It's just a shame.

orythem27

#5 Post by orythem27 »

lizzias wrote:Y...but you know what? Lot's of people have perfectly good working amd graphics that still work with fglrx. It's just a shame.
Yeah. I myself still have three laptops that used to work with fglrx which could perform ~20-30% better than the open source driver. Back before Linux 3.11 when the open source driver didn't have dpm support, fglrx was very effective in cooling down the laptop.

stevepusser

Maybe we can has fglrx?

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I have a repo that contains fglrx-driver with the Arch AUR patches so it will build up through kernel 4.11, at least on Jessie. It should work to install following the Debian wiki package install procedure after adding my repo, but I don't have any AMD hardware to test it with. With what version of xorg does Manjaro have it working?

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... lrx-driver

Whoops, looks like the Stretch build now fails when built against gcc-6 :? I don't know if the Jessie version can work on Stretch. I do know how to get gcc-4.9 back in that repo, though, and build against it if necessary.

Update: I am told that Arch and Manjaro users only can get it to install by downgrading xorg, something that Stretch users very likely should not do.
MX Linux packager and developer

smoki

#7 Post by smoki »

I have FGLRX working on Stretch since forever, but i am lazy to make packages for others... so, yes xserver needs to be downgraded or better recompiled under Stretch.

xserver and ddxes from jessie, only xserver needs patched to build with gcc 6.3

https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel ... 45779.html

That or X 1.17 which already include patch, but i prefered to stick with Jessie version let it be.... meta 'xorg' also is needed rebuild OK, and after also ddxes at least 'evdev' and 'radeon' also needs rebuild and that is it.

After all these installed and X working with radeon driver, user should install patched at least up to 4.9 kernel fglrx... well even that isn't enough as diversion packages also need rebuild as stretch have version with fglrx diversion removed :D

Summa summarum:

https://packages.debian.org/source/jessie/xorg-server
https://packages.debian.org/source/jessie/xorg
https://packages.debian.org/source/jess ... nput-evdev
https://packages.debian.org/source/jess ... -video-ati
https://packages.debian.org/source/jess ... ternatives

I think that is all that one need to rebuild and patch (synaptics maybe, vmware maybe, intel maybe... depends what you want/need there), well only xserver package needs cos of FTBS with gcc5+ and that is it. Patched to 4.9 kernel fglrx, so if user use stretch's default kernel, that should fare well there :)

edit: Ah, but OP has Richland APU that is Terascale yes... so 15.9 driver is needed there to be patched, as 15.12 is by default GCN only :D There are other way around that as one can combine two drivers but lets not talk about that now... Whatever in whole, it is possible to do it, but it require this sort of packaging/patching magic on average to be stranghtforwarded :mrgreen: