Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thunderbird login in to google

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Andrew Lohmann

Thunderbird login in to google

#1 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

There is another question on this subject but this problem seems different;

On one of my email accounts I use google two step verification. This works fine on Mint Cinnamon, Ubuntu Mate but not on Debian Cinnamon or Gnome.

I do not know if there is a problem with one step google verification on with yahoo which I use but have had no cause to verify those email accounts.

A pop-up window appears Enter Credentials and the email address to be verified in the heading of that window. I type that same email address into the space for phone or email then press NEXT - nothing happens. There is also a more options link but that does nothing either.

qubitz

Re: Thunderbird login in to google

#2 Post by qubitz »

Hello,

. Have whatever stable version available in repositories - pre-installed
. Download Thunderbird: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
. Unpack anywhere, then run the main executive from within main folder
. Register your Gmail account/s
. Close Thunderbird
. Run pre-installed version of Thunderbird to make sure all registered and running
. Delete the earlier downloaded installation folder along with archive

If above did not work, then in step 3 unpack the folder into /usr/ directory .

I understand this is my new-bee way of getting things done, but it just works so you could continue sending mail uninterrupted.

Btw, I installed KDE on fresh installation of Debian 9; Kmail causes anxiety, to me, and I kinda mix my hobby Linux and tons of correspondence and calls so no time to wait.

Andrew Lohmann

#3 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

A similar work-around which I have just carried out is to replace the .thunderbird with the .thunderbird from my Mint Cinnamon installation which is much the same but additionally the double security step has been carried out.

Thanks for the tip qubitz.

vert18

#4 Post by vert18 »

Under account settings then under server settings and then security settings and lastly authentication method pick normal password and it should work

I had the same problem,

Andrew Lohmann

#5 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

Thanks for the recommendation - I am sure it will work with single step or a google created password;
vert18 wrote: authentication method pick normal password
I tried this but did not pursue it further as it did not seem to be getting me to the second step of the authentication.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

A search in the forum for Thunderbird cedes this as now the next thread under yours, in which you may find your problem solved.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=643434#p643434

VentGrey

#7 Post by VentGrey »

I solved it by setting it to manual config an the authentication mode to auto when configuring google. :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

Andrew Lohmann

#8 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

Thanks for your various responses. If the problem arises again I shall come back to this thread.