Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why I do not use Gnome anymore

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GarryRicketson

Re: Why I do not use Gnome anymore

#101 Post by GarryRicketson »

phenest wrote:Will you do that every time Garry when someone posts a problem with Gnome, You'll post it here and use it as a reason why you won't use Gnome. It's not like the OP of that topic was complaining. :roll:
If you have a problem with what I post, please use the report button, or PM me,..it seems like you have nothing better to do then follow me around, and post complaints about my posts.
To answer your question, or I guess it was a question, but there is no question mark,no probably not every time, but when I feel like it, I will.
I did nothing wrong in posting this here, and I never said anything about the OP in the other topic complaining, ,,, no they were not complaining, ........
Gnome started becoming very problematic several years ago, so that is why I stopped
using it.
I does not appear that the developers of Gnome care, not have much interest in trying
to fix the problems with it. But really that does not matter, since there are so many better
options.
==== RE: Solution Of Your Cycle Storage ====
That is a pretty neat advertisement, almost all the factories around here have those,
they are pretty convenient and do help save space, it is also nice to have a place that has shade for ones bicycle. , thanks for sharing the photo.

phenest

#102 Post by phenest »

GarryRicketson wrote: Gnome started becoming very problematic several years ago, so that is why I stopped
using it.
I does not appear that the developers of Gnome care, not have much interest in trying
to fix the problems with it. But really that does not matter, since there are so many better
options.
Perhaps the Gnome developers don't see any problems. Why would they, it's like that by design. That is, assuming you're not referring to bugs.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Nili

#103 Post by Nili »

Because i find Window Manager (WM) simpler easy to config settings. Also i'd like to do individual work more than static default settings.
So, Always Window Manager my choice.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

GarryRicketson

#104 Post by GarryRicketson »

phenest wrote:Will you do that every time Garry when someone posts a problem with Gnome, You'll post it here and use it as a reason why you won't use Gnome. It's not like the OP of that topic was complaining. :roll:
Just to be clear, again, no I don't do this every time, but when I saw
the signature, in this thread, and I would rather not de-rail a topic/thread
with comments not related,...

From : http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133409
silvaf6, signature: Dammit Debian, I installed you again because you used to be rock solid :P
Debian still is "rock solid",... Gnome is the problem, hard core Gnome users are sort of like windows users, they just refuse to accept the fact, it is not a good DE any more.
phenest wrote:Post by phenest » 2017-05-26 09:01

GarryRicketson wrote:
Gnome started becoming very problematic several years ago, so that is why I stopped
using it.
options.

Perhaps the Gnome developers don't see any problems. Why would they, it's like that by design. That is, assuming you're not referring to bugs.

That is exactly it, the Gnome developers don't see any problems, and refuse
to fix any of the bugs, it is "by design", which to me is a good reason to look for something better, and there are plenty of better options.
Now people are saying things like this:
Dammit Debian, I installed you again because you used to be rock solid :P
But it is not really Debian, except for the fact that they include it in the repositories,
Install Debian, but with out Gnome , and you still have a rock solid system.

phenest

#105 Post by phenest »

You say you're not going to do it every time, but you have just done it again.

Every comment I've read (not just yours Garry) about Gnome Shell being no good are purely subjective, and say more about the user than it does about Gnome.

I think I'm going to start a new topic:
"Why I do not complain about Gnome anymore since learning how to use it"
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Danielsan

#106 Post by Danielsan »

I tried in a VM a fresh install of Debian 9 with Gnome3 and I have to say that Gnom3 with the extension dash to panel makes, for my tastes, the DE much more usable, if you complete it with a bunch of other extensions the DE is even better, eventually I thought it's quite close to Budgie. However I still continue to believe the default setup of Gnome3 is pretty awful.

HuangLao

#107 Post by HuangLao »

Danielsan wrote:I tried in a VM a fresh install of Debian 9 with Gnome3 and I have to say that Gnom3 with the extension dash to panel makes, for my tastes, the DE much more usable, if you complete it with a bunch of other extensions the DE is even better, eventually I thought it's quite close to Budgie. However I still continue to believe the default setup of Gnome3 is pretty awful.
:shock: but then it needs systemd...did you go to the other side recently? :lol:

Roel63

#108 Post by Roel63 »

Danielsan wrote:eventually I thought it's quite close to Budgie.
From some screenshots I thought Budgie looks quite good. Any (dis-)advantages?

Danielsan

#109 Post by Danielsan »

HuangLao wrote:
Danielsan wrote:I tried in a VM a fresh install of Debian 9 with Gnome3 and I have to say that Gnom3 with the extension dash to panel makes, for my tastes, the DE much more usable, if you complete it with a bunch of other extensions the DE is even better, eventually I thought it's quite close to Budgie. However I still continue to believe the default setup of Gnome3 is pretty awful.
:shock: but then it needs systemd...did you go to the other side recently? :lol:

I gave up a lot of time ago, however LP has a new project maybe this may help to improve the situations... 8)

@ Roel83
Budgie is pretty good, however is not very customizable yet and it is integrate just with the Gnome stack, eventually I find it a bit limitated.

EnigmaOne

#110 Post by EnigmaOne »

I've always used KDE--when I use a DE.

I did try Genome many years ago, and have seen it on other folks' machines since then. It never was, and still isn't, my thing.

ruffwoof

#111 Post by ruffwoof »

Debian Jessie using a base of jwm and pcmanfm (filemanager and desktop icons), along with brightside for hot corners (I have top left set to show desktop) and your favourite icons on the the desktop ... for me keeps a nice gnome2 type setup with a gnome3 type feel. Panel with status bar and tasklist at the bottom (top). Mouse into a corner to see what icons you prefer ... ready to launch.

I've kept mine light by not bothering with installing any themes, I just use the default gtk2, gtk3, qt inbuilt themes, with minor tweaks so there's a more common look-n-feel across all of them.

Around 2GB in total in size, back's up to a 600MB squashed filesystem filesize taking just a minute or two to do. Which includes LibreOffice, Firefox ....etc. (all the apps/programs I use).

I have a apps menu option that just launches the filemanager, opening the /usr/share/applications folder. For others I have the right WIN (special) key set to launch gmrun ... so program names along with auto-complete can be typed in.

I get to stay with pure Debian MAIN repositories that way. I don't like how gnome3 tempts you to pull in third-party stuff (extensions) whilst the default setup isn't what many would actually choose to use by default.

MALsPa

#112 Post by MALsPa »

ruffwoof wrote:I don't like how gnome3 tempts you to pull in third-party stuff (extensions) whilst the default setup isn't what many would actually choose to use by default.
I run GNOME Shell without any extensions, but there are quite a few available right there in the repos:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

ruffwoof

#113 Post by ruffwoof »

Nice to see that growing (a number more than is available in Jessie).

A attractor to me is that with Debian Main repositories only you can have just a single provider of a collective set (40,000+ programs in repositories?) and at least on my older (9 years) hardware that all works very well individually and together. Pulling in third party just seemed to break that (FrankenDebian) IMO. I don't use contrib nor non-free and gnome extensions were just a extension of that. As more extensions are absorbed into the main repository then so much the better for gnome3 ... however personally I don't like its default layout and its a bit daft using a much heavier installation to map it back to something looking like what I run under a light installation.