Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Just a few questions about deepin

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
kenny1402

Just a few questions about deepin

#1 Post by kenny1402 »

Hey forum!

I was wondering, whether deepin is a good distro to try or not. It's user interface has caught my attention, though.

Is it's latest release, 15.4 based on debian 9.0 stretch? If not, what is it based on?

Do you guys recommend me to try this distro?

I heard some reviewers couldn't stand the 'chinglish' (chinese english) of the desktop. Is that true?

Thank you for this off-topic discussion :)

dasein

Re: Just a few questions about deepin

#2 Post by dasein »

Is there some reason--any reason--that you wouldn't try something you're interested in?

Then too, if someone said "no, you shouldn't try it," would that prevent you from trying it?

Try it or don't try it, as you wish; you don't need "permission." And if you truly care about other peoples' opinions, the Distrowatch page for deepin has links to several reviews. Read them for yourself.

HuangLao

#3 Post by HuangLao »

but why ask this in a Debian forum? also, questions like this have no answer, what I or we like you may hate, what you like we/I may hate......or dislike etc...

Nili

#4 Post by Nili »

I think better try yourself? Your search and valuation are more worth than everyone else opinions.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

Innovate

#5 Post by Innovate »

This question is no different than ask "Is the cat in the box Died or Alive?"
While we being fair tell OP that "Just open that box see it for yourself instead of ask & guessing, damn-it!" :|

If op is Chinese racist from the beginning then this thread is over from the beginning. It's pointless to ask if you're anti-chinese anyway.
If you still believe not all Chinese stuffs are that bad you can experience and witness the truth by yourself.
Chinese goods they gain bad reputation about copying stuffs from the original author and mass produce in low quality.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

I had never heard of it, so I did a search, the first hit happened to be distro watch,
and there was a screen shot,.. Based on the screen shot, I certainly would not waste
my time or even the disk space on a VM to try it,..there is no terminal, just ugly , meaningless icons.
It looks like another Ubunto or Windows lovers distro,..
So I suppose if the OP is one of those kind of people, then it might be perfect for them.

I am certainly not going try it, the OP can do that.

=== edited ====
Just took a look at the list of packages,... lots of stuff I don't use, and
I did not see the packages I do use,... So no it is not a good distro to try,
What a joke. !

orythem27

#7 Post by orythem27 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Just took a look at the list of packages,... lots of stuff I don't use, and I did not see the packages I do use,... So no it is not a good distro to try,
One of the main selling points of Deepin is a lot of specifically ported/crafted tools catering for the need of most Chinese users, such as instant messaging, music streaming, etc. And the most important localization stuff such as fonts, input methods, all of which are a hassle to setup in western-centric mainstream Linux distributions.

So, the conclusion is obvious. At present, the main unique feature is Chinese localization, which has very little appeal to non-Chinese users.

Innovate

#8 Post by Innovate »

This one surprised me I wonder what did he doing over there on that fair? :lol:
https://twitter.com/linux_deepin/status ... 3631369216
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCvydQ9UQAEWvKZ.jpg

Maybe that was the reason why op asked this.
But, I don't think RMS would want it he already have lenovo laptop. :mrgreen:

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

orythem27 wrote:At present, the main unique feature is Chinese localization, which has very little appeal to non-Chinese users.
Thanks very much for that insight. I am a UI wonk and based on what I saw in screenshots, the deepin UI looked really interesting, and I wanted to explore it in more detail. But if I'm going to have to fight i18n issues, I'll save the bandwidth.

orythem27

#10 Post by orythem27 »

dasein wrote:...But if I'm going to have to fight i18n issues, I'll save the bandwidth.
To be honest, although I've given Deepin some test drives before, I did not go into many details, nor did I choose English. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if OP's suspect of "Chinglish" is actually the case, since such issues are fairly common in East Asian countries, even in formal occasions.

dasein

#11 Post by dasein »

I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining. That was not my intent. Merely articulating the limits of my UI curiosity.

I'm frankly surprised that there aren't a lot more language-specific respins, particularly for commonplace languages (Chinese, Hindi, etc.)

HuangLao

#12 Post by HuangLao »

Nili wrote:This made my day, Thanks for the smile HL :)
You are most welcome
:mrgreen:

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

I'm sure a lot of our Chinese localizations must be funny for native speakers. Glass houses and stones...
MX Linux packager and developer

HuangLao

#14 Post by HuangLao »

Note: some of these are not PG rated.

http://www.boredpanda.com/funny-chinese ... ion-fails/

orythem27

#15 Post by orythem27 »

dasein wrote:I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining. That was not my intent. Merely articulating the limits of my UI curiosity.
No, not at all. :) In fact reading the posts again I suddenly realized that it might be myself that sounded like "respond to complaining" in the first place, I certainly didn't mean that way. :lol: If it got misunderstood I'm sorry. Guess I'll have to pay more attention to subtle language details.
HuangLao wrote:Note: some of these are not PG rated. http://www.boredpanda.com/funny-chinese ... ion-fails/
This is even more hilarious viewing it as a native speaker. :lol: And I didn't see the famous "Translate server error" meme. ;-)

Lysander

#16 Post by Lysander »

HuangLao wrote:Note: some of these are not PG rated.

http://www.boredpanda.com/funny-chinese ... ion-fails/
Great stuff - that page is pretty much unviewable without ad block installed though [like so many these days].