Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MATE Move files using mouse

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
TonyT

MATE Move files using mouse

#1 Post by TonyT »

In Gnome 2 one could use the middle mouse button + drag to move files from one directory to another. Upon releasing the button the context menu has a "Move" selection. MATE doesn't have such a feature. Instead I must use cut+paste. Is there any way to get "move" in a context menu? Perhaps a Caja plugin?

kreemoweet

Re: MATE Move files using mouse

#2 Post by kreemoweet »

In my version of Caja, moving seems to be the default action when dragging&dropping a file. To get an actual menu item, you could put a MoveTo script file in the
Caja scripts folder. "MoveTo" would then appear in the Scripts submenu of any file's context menu.

This is the one I have, using zenity because I found matedialog to be less than satisfactory:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
DESTINATION=$(zenity --title="Select a folder" --file-selection --directory)
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n'
for FILE in $CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS
do
mv -i "$FILE" "$DESTINATION"
done
IFS=$OLDIFS

TonyT

Re: MATE Move files using mouse

#3 Post by TonyT »

kreemoweet wrote:In my version of Caja, moving seems to be the default action when dragging&dropping a file. To get an actual menu item, you could put a MoveTo script file in the
Caja scripts folder. "MoveTo" would then appear in the Scripts submenu of any file's context menu.

This is the one I have, using zenity because I found matedialog to be less than satisfactory:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
DESTINATION=$(zenity --title="Select a folder" --file-selection --directory)
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n'
for FILE in $CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS
do
mv -i "$FILE" "$DESTINATION"
done
IFS=$OLDIFS
Thanks. Yes, on my MATE, rt clicking any file will popup the context menu with Move to >. But I am referring to drag+drop context menu. In Gnome2, drag using the middle mouse button, upon release, pops up a context menu, but MATE does not have that functionality.

By default, left mouse button drag+drop moves a file when the destination is on the same partition. But if the destination is on a different partition the the file gets copied, not moved. What I seek is to have a choice to copy or move, using the middle mouse button drag+drop because right mouse button drag+drop does not exist.