Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

flash player for Debian 9

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
SilvioTO

flash player for Debian 9

#1 Post by SilvioTO »

Installed today Debian Stretch and I don't find the package "flashplugin-nonfree". How to install flash player for Firefox?
My sources.list have "main contrib nonfree".

Thanks.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: flash player for Debian 9

#2 Post by arochester »

Your sources list should be: non-free
Not: nonfree

Although the flash command is, as you say : flashplugin-nonfree

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Isn't the installer still broken, though?
MX Linux packager and developer

Lysander

#4 Post by Lysander »

stevepusser wrote:Isn't the installer still broken, though?
I can't get it to work in Opera/FF in Stretch, but it did work in Jessie.

The only workaround I have found is installing Chromium and running videos on that since it comes with Flash.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I meant the Debian Flash installers, flashplugin-nonfree and pepperflashplugin-nonfree. Though we hacked pepperflashplugin-nonfree to get it working again in the MX repo, our project manager asked Adobe
for permission to redistribute their plugins directly in a deb package, and they said OK.

So I reworked Ubuntu's similar package a bit to work with Debian's Chromium, and here they are:

http://iso.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non- ... ashplugin/

They install both the standard NPAPI and the PPAPI Flash plugins from the one package.

rivenathos

#6 Post by rivenathos »

While this may not be to the liking of everyone, this is the way I install Flash for use with Firefox:

First, I add the Debian Multimedia repo:

Code: Select all

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ stretch main non-free
One must also add the the keyring package. I use aptitude (I know, but I am old school), but use whatever you like:

aptitude install deb-multimedia-keyring
Then install the flashplayer-mozilla package:

aptitude install flashplayer-mozilla
I hope this helps anyone who may have an issue.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

#7 Post by 1624 »

I download Flash player (if i need it) from Adobe and copy libflashplayer.so to .mozilla/plugins directory.
Debian 11 Bullseye XFCE 64-bit
HP Z230 Workstation

kedaha

#8 Post by kedaha »

I don't use flash but I I'd just like to comment that anyone reading this topic should take the precaution of checking if adding the "Debian Multimedia repo" and installing the flashplayer-mozilla from the "deb-multimedia" site– as advised by rivenathos above– would cause other unofficial, dependent packages or "depends" listed there to be installed resulting in the kind of issues detailed in these FAQ. If only the flashplayer-mozilla gets installed then OK but I think the repository should be either removed or commented out in /etc/apt/sources.list after that. But it'd be better, in my view, just to download the package directly and install it with dpkg -i and even better not to install flash at all. :wink:
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Lysander

#9 Post by Lysander »

stevepusser wrote:I meant the Debian Flash installers, flashplugin-nonfree and pepperflashplugin-nonfree. Though we hacked pepperflashplugin-nonfree to get it working again in the MX repo, our project manager asked Adobe
for permission to redistribute their plugins directly in a deb package, and they said OK.

So I reworked Ubuntu's similar package a bit to work with Debian's Chromium, and here they are:

http://iso.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non- ... ashplugin/

They install both the standard NPAPI and the PPAPI Flash plugins from the one package.
Great work as usual, Steve. I installed the package and it works flawlessly in Opera and Firefox on Stretch. Thank you so much.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Thanks! I can't wait for Flash to die, though.

As far as I know, the deb-multimedia package won't pull in anything else either. I doubt they got permission from Adobe to redistribute it, but that's not necessary in France.

milomak

#11 Post by milomak »

stevepusser wrote:Isn't the installer still broken, though?
it seems to be in sid. but this link is helpful - https://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer#Manual_update
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#12 Post by NFT5 »

stevepusser wrote: I can't wait for Flash to die, though.
Doesn't seem likely in the near future. The video sites like Youtube are generally usable without Flash but many others are not. For example, both of the Australian national broadcasters (ABC & SBS) still rely heavily on Flash in their news sites and their TV programme replay sites are unusable without it. I don't often visit the BBC site but seem to recall that it was very similar.

Thanks for your work on this. My MX-16 installations are all good but I hadn't used those packages in my Debian machines. Doing so will restore full functionality, which I appreciate.

Lysander

#13 Post by Lysander »

A minor point here - the Flash plugin offered through Steve is great but appears to be not quite as successful with redraws and tearing as, e.g., the version that comes with Chromium. This was tested with Chromium and Opera.

Tear test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RvIbVmCOxg

Another test video [yes, it's Nicki Minaj but the video editing uses lots of rapid cuts].

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

The tearing issue no doubt will depend on your video driver, hardware, and the version of the plugin. I can't see any with the NPAPI plugin in Firefox 54 on my machine, for example.

You must mean Google Chrome instead of Chromium also, amiright?

Lysander

#15 Post by Lysander »

Hmm interesting. The only thing I have done for graphics drivers is this

apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-video-ati
that was the lot [I'm running an old AMD card, a 5870, way out of date now but cost me £300 in 2010]! And I do indeed mean Chromium [blue logo one!].

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

But the open Chromium in Debian won't download the Flash plugin for itself, as far as I know. Only Google Chrome can do that.

Lysander

#17 Post by Lysander »

stevepusser wrote:But the open Chromium in Debian won't download the Flash plugin for itself, as far as I know. Only Google Chrome can do that.
That is strange. In Jessie and Stretch, Chromium was my initial way of getting Flash to work and worked out of the box in both cases.

So I did an experiment, I uninstalled your .deb and went to Chromium to do a Flash check. The Adobe site says
Flash Player is pre-installed in Google Chrome, but not enabled.

However, I went to play a Flash video, and I didn't have to do anything, it worked. Odd.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

Do you also have Google Chrome installed? I think Chromium can also look for and use the Flash that Chrome downloads.

Lysander

#19 Post by Lysander »

stevepusser wrote:Do you also have Google Chrome installed? I think Chromium can also look for and use the Flash that Chrome downloads.
No, I'm anti-Google Chrome and would not install it. I remember reading somewhere that Chromium came bundled with Flash which is why I downloaded it in the first place. I wish I remember where I read that now.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

Since Flash is closed and proprietary, there's no way it could be included in a Chromium package from Debian main. Even if it just downloaded Flash instead, it would then be in the contrib section.