Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Serious new problem with debian 9 and nvidia driver

Need help with peripherals or devices?
kdo

Serious new problem with debian 9 and nvidia driver

#1 Post by kdo »

Hi everyone i waited so long for this release and im so disappointed(in KDE)

First i tried to install nvidia driver and finally managed to do it with this command:

Apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') nvidia-driver

After first restart there is black screen and no matter what i tried it failed to boot properly

I used cntrl+alt+F1 and got my history and it has this error:

I should say before installing if i used nvidia detector it would say no gpu detected (ofcourse i used nomodset to be able to boot properly in the first place)

Its really is killing me to fix this

Thanks a million for your Help
Last edited by kdo on 2017-06-27 08:28, edited 3 times in total.

GarryRicketson

Re: Serious new problem with debian 9 KDE and nvidia driver

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Please remove the ridiculously huge screen shot, there is nothing useful in it.
learn how to create a thumbnail, or how to capture the output from the command line,..
and use code boxes to post the text output.
Please learn to thumbnail images
Thank you.

P.S. Have you also read this before posting ?
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
If you haven't, then you should.

HuangLao

#3 Post by HuangLao »

well we just learned that kdo has a big screenshot
my goodness I think that is a Debian Forums all time first/largest :shock:

neodeb

#4 Post by neodeb »

It may not be your nvidia driver build.
Addendum: See solution post below
nvidia driver/module "not loading" error for me also. (Deb 9 stretch/stable amd64 mate dist-upgraded).

In logs I get "already registered" error when no other video driver (like Noveau) is loaded. So "already registered" is this "not loading" particular symptom.

This pointed me to nvidia.com on some readme there and that inferred it's the loader (modprobe? init tools?) NOT the driver.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... blems.html

Does anyone know what's going on with the fixing the loader???? I could not find any bug reports. Not sure i'm looking in the correct place though. HELP PLEASE.

BTW: Noveau will NOT work (here) either! (so nothing nada zipo)
1. I think the Noveau black screen garbled symptom is due to which cable connection (DVI or HDMI) and I noted... there's some configuration to fix it but I can't use limited Noveau anyway, so its nvidia or quit. That's due to performance and I know BTW Nvidia STINKS for not open sourcing there drivers! Just dumb. However this time it isn't exactly the issue.
2. RECOVER from trying Noveau as fall back and if you're getting a black (faint flashing cursor and/or black garbled X screen) you put "nomodeset" at the end of the Linux load line inside GRUB (Hold down left shift key while booting if GRUB does not show) and press "e" key to edit. Then you can at least boot to console, see somthing and load a different driver.

So my main box is at the "emergency console" where I have learned to make it read/write and start the net with a cable direct to the Ethernet port(since no WiFi yet).....

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /
dhclient
There you can easily work on it (commands) when a fix is available.
I'm having to use my phone to take picture of commands to try!!!!!

That's where I'm stuck! HELP!!!!!

Noveau being borked might be hit and miss.

EVERYONE with nvdia driver is not working on STABLE (or so I looks); because Deb 9.0 will not load them correctly. Workaround (loader) critically needed.

BTW: nvidia-modprobe had the same errors loading so didn't help anything.
Last edited by neodeb on 2017-06-25 09:15, edited 16 times in total.
Open is freedom.

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

Offtopic, and I realize that I'm late to the party...

If the OP's issue is a black screen, and he posted a huge screenshot...

kdo

#6 Post by kdo »

GarryRicketson wrote:Please remove the ridiculously huge screen shot, there is nothing useful in it.
learn how to create a thumbnail, or how to capture the output from the command line,..
and use code boxes to post the text output.
Please learn to thumbnail images
Thank you.

P.S. Have you also read this before posting ?
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
If you haven't, then you should.
Hi
Ok I'm so sorry everyone it wasn't that big in my screen and i know how to create thumbnail but as i said i didn't know it was that big(i posted on my phone)

And thanks yes i read those guide lines first i registered

Thumbnail added
Last edited by kdo on 2017-06-24 04:35, edited 1 time in total.

kdo

#7 Post by kdo »

HuangLao wrote:well we just learned that kdo has a big screenshot
my goodness I think that is a Debian Forums all time first/largest :shock:
:D so sorry i seriously didn't realize it was that big

kdo

#8 Post by kdo »

neodeb wrote:It may not be your nvidia driver build (and all), it looks like it is the loader in new Deb 9.

nvidia driver/module "not loading" error for me also. (Deb 9 stretch/stable amd64 mate dist-upgraded).

I believe it's built right (purged first, match kernel, blacklisted Noveau, etc) and will tell you when I can load it. .

In logs I get "already registered" error when no other video driver (like Noveau) is loaded. So "already registered" is this "not loading" particular symptom.

This pointed me to nvidia.com on some readme there and that inferred it's the loader (modprobe? init tools?) NOT the driver.

Somewhere i read this was a fixed problem and did not make it [correctly] in new Debian 9 (yet). Opps!!!! How do I even report that? On what package?

I can't find anything else after EXTENSIVE searching. Just FYI. Help...

Does anyone know what's going on with the fixing the loader???? I could not find any bug reports. Not sure i'm looking in the correct place though. HELP PLEASE.

BTW: Noveau will NOT work either! (so nothing nada zipo)
1. I think the Noveau black screen garbled symptom is due to which cable connection (DVI or HDMI) and I noted... there's some configuration to fix it but I can't use limited Noveau anyway, so its nvidia or quit. That's due to performance and I know BTW Nvidia STINKS for not open sourcing there drivers! Just dumb. However this time it isn't exactly the issue.
2. RECOVER from trying Noveau as fall back and if you're getting a black (faint flashing cursor and/or black garbled X screen) you put "nomodeset" at the end of the Linux load line inside GRUB (Hold down left shift key while booting if GRUB does not show) and press "e" key to edit. Then you can at least boot to console, see somthing and load a different driver.

So my main box is at the "emergency console" where I have learned to make it read/write and start the net with a cable direct to the Ethernet port(since no WiFi yet).....

mount -o remount,rw /
dhclient
There you can easily work on it (commands) when a fix is available.
I'm having to use my phone to take picture of commands to try!!!!!

That's where I'm stuck! HELP!!!!!

Noveau being borked might be hit and miss.

EVERYONE with nvdia driver is not working on STABLE (or so I looks); because Deb 9.0 will not load them correctly. Workaround (loader) critically needed.

BTW: nvidia-modprobe had the same errors loading so didn't help anything.
Thanks a lot for your complete explanation
So for the first time it's not nvidia

But two things:
1-i only get ACPI error : AE not found
2-i cant login after that at all i mean at all not even with ACPI=off(tried nomodset, Nouveau.modeset=0)

Installed OS 6 Times completely new

neodeb

#9 Post by neodeb »

I could be wrong because Noveau tries to run so it must have loaded. I just know nvidia-304 is NOT being loaded (for me). I'm sure it's not the driver as it's not even loading.
I can tell (now) your reason for not loading(ACPI) is a different symptom than mine(already registered).
noacpi is the same as ACPI=off.
see below

I pretty sure you don't need to reinstall. ;) Never give up!
Last edited by neodeb on 2017-06-25 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Open is freedom.

kdo

#10 Post by kdo »

Ok now i tried to turn off fastboot and install the driver

But before first restart it gives me (kmserver-logoutgreeter-crash)so i reboot using terminal and then i got tty1 page

And i see many people with 4.9 kernel that have the same problem:
Last edited by kdo on 2017-06-24 05:35, edited 1 time in total.

kdo

#11 Post by kdo »

neodeb wrote:
Thanks a lot for your complete explanation
So for the first time it's not nvidia

But two things:
1-i only get ACPI error : AE not found
2-i cant login after that at all i mean at all not even with ACPI=off(tried nomodset, Nouveau.modeset=0)

Installed OS 6 Times completely new
I could be wrong because Noveau tries to run so it must have loaded. I just know nvidia-304 is NOT being loaded (for me). I'm sure it's not the driver as it's not even loading.

i can tell (now) your reason for not loading(ACPI) is a different symptom than mine(already registered).

I guess noacpi is the same as ACPI=off.

Idea = Check your BIOS startup setting for something perhaps you can change that might stop your ACPi error.

Why can't you login? You mean GUi login or unreadable screen?

I pretty sure you don't need to reinstall. ;) Never give up!
Thanks
Because i get complete black screen and cant do anything

neodeb

#12 Post by neodeb »

You're welcome. Add that nomodeset into your boot line (end) at GRUB and at least boot emergency mode without black screen.
Added link above.

Addendum: See solution posted below

Another computer of mine with CLEAN installed Deb 9.0.1 stable (from live amd64 mate) also failed to load nvidia just the same. However re-installation of Noveau (no-way) worked there (without good acceleration though).

Meanwhile my main system is Deb 9 STABLE with no Noveau (WETF) and Nvidia. Just emergency mode text and that starts with no net and read only. Yea.
Last edited by neodeb on 2017-06-25 09:09, edited 7 times in total.
Open is freedom.

neodeb

#13 Post by neodeb »

Oh... it is a fight now!

Continued attempts at nvidia purge and install and back STOPPED the "already registered" error. Further log errors mentioned more about (similar) possible blockages to video driver loading. However lsmod did not show any video drivers.

One idea was with onboard vs. add in video cards; where you should indicate the right one in your BIOS (I was). I also had a mention of ACPI errors and I was going to work with that; but I knew that wasn't likely it.

Thing is... I removed a slightly better nvidia card (after dist-upgrade 9.0 resulting failing to Emergency Mode). I'm using the built-in nvidia GPU. I did then (for sure and double verified) set my BIOS back to ONBOARD. However the dist-upgrade was done with the another add in card and set for it as PCI....

So for kicks and grins I set it to PCI; even though I am ONLY using the onboard nvidia GPU. Sometimes this lets linux handle things better. I fully reinstalled nvidia the debian way. I rebooting and installed it again to finish. It didn't work. Still the same emergency console....

Therefore (always reverse what does not work) I set the BIOS back to ONBOARD again to match and did the dual, total nvidia (twice and rebooting in between) install again.

NOW THE INSTALLING errors where none!!!!! Accept still not starting X. Hmmm.

I surmised nvidia would work; but there was a message about 'slim' where I was using lightdm. That made me think the dist-upgrade mixed them up somehow!

I PURGED both slim and lightdm and installed lightdm and it did not work (X failed). So I purged all and installed slim..........

STARTING SLIM WORKED! But only as root!!!!! wtf???

So now I know (for sure) nvidia installed the debian way is working(it's part anyway) 100%. However when I reboot I get the Emergency console and I can not log in as user. why?

After dist-upgrade to Deb 9 than I can't login as user (new problem). Plus root will not allow INTERNET. So I am only part way home.

My advice is purge everything else and install slim (may depend on the matching ones you use, I use MATE) and see if you can at least start it (nvidia graphics).
Perhaps switching to the WRONG(onboard or other) video setting in BIOS and later back to the correct one fixes something.
(It was probably trying to work for both 'already registered' GPU's). I can only say I DID NOT SET THE BIOS WRONG at any time. FYI. I always reboot and double check the saving.
Last edited by neodeb on 2017-06-25 09:05, edited 2 times in total.
Open is freedom.

neodeb

#14 Post by neodeb »

op: I'm not running KDE so perhaps the op'er would remove KDE from the op. However If preferred I will start another thread. I just thought all these tips I learned were worth sharing for those with Deb 9 and nvidia not working. Serious 9.0 failures indeed.

THE PROCESS ...mostly done. How I got there (see solution post below)...
Debian 9.0 stretch/stable, dist-upgraded (not recommended yet), 4.9 kernel (sysv!!! fallback), Nvidia legacy 304 full 3D support installed the debian way that should auto-up with new kernels. Booting into GUI and user as normal. Using Slim display manager (only because others failed restarting those display managers from my root tests). service <display_manager> restart DANG! It's like running sid. I read a failure to login as user (check that if stuck at root console) is a kernel bug, placing a /run/nologin file. When removed rm /run/nologin will login to user again. So I decided to edit the alternative kernel in GRUB for 4.9, sysv and manually add single to the end of that line (then hit F10) to boot that combo as SYSV+RECOVERY and not the "emergency mode". Now I purged and installed nvidia the debian way and with no errors it (for the first time) could immediately start X. service slim restart
If I now choose the alternative 4.9, sysv GRUB selection nvidia just works. I sign in to slim and finally have my normal (now Deb 9 mate amd64) desktop!

Are we trying to many new things at once?

Note: Oh yeah! I purposely broke my recommended rule of NOT installing anything (even stable) until it's been out for a month or three(on your main system). I said I'll fix it if there's a problem. GEESH! Better days.
Last edited by neodeb on 2017-06-25 09:06, edited 10 times in total.
Open is freedom.

neodeb

#15 Post by neodeb »

Addendum: New kernel upgrades showed up Jun 27th and if upgrading solves your nvidia start problems then you can skip the below. It kept me going till now though. If you still have no nvidia then do see below.

I note a more verbose warning about my RESUME not having the same uuid as my actual swap partition, which was the same in fstab just not the RESUME file. Do sudo blkid and copy it to the RESUME file. /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume But I do not think that stopped anything. Just FYI if you see that warning.

Secondly I noted the new kernels out today had an error trying to reinstall it; which lead me to digimen dkms stuff that I had tried for drawing tablets. After reading about how it updated last Sept but didn't make into the kernel and stops the it from installing, I simply removed digimen... and the new 4.9 kernel installed (and nvidia installed). Now I do not have to select the sysvinit manner of booting (fixed previous below) and everything just works. systemd w/nvidia works again.
4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u2 (2017-06-26) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Incidentally I tried installing nvidia the wiki debian way with....

# aptitude update
# aptitude -r install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver

...and it didn't start. sgfxi -d instead and it did, leaving it the debian way with -d. It's just less to remember(I think it just auto fixed the xconfing)! (see below to install sgfxi)
=========================================================================================================================================================

***SOLUTION***
MY [Depreciated]NVIDIA INSTALL DEBIAN 9.0 STABLE STRETCH SOLUTION SUMMARY (New sysvinit kernel+'nomodeset single'=nvidia installing!):
==========================================
Addendum: My dist-upgraded Deb 9.0 had the sysvinit choices in GRUB. My clean install from live 9.0.1 did not. In that case you may need to install those options. Also adding

init=/lib/sysvinit/init
just worked(as nvidia installing worked and then started).

o 1. Maybe take a snapshot of these commands with your phone or better handy camera.
o 2. TIP: Check your BIOS computer startup settings. If on-board GPU try saving it away from and secondly back to ONBOARD or what have you.
o 3. GRUB: In Advanced Options highlight 4.9_kernel's + a sysvinit menu choice + edit with the "e" key onto the end [hit your <END> key] of the linux line "single" (after the nomodeset and init=/lib/sysvinit/init). Then F10 to boot it.
Note: The GRUB recovery menu choices are not sysvinit. Add "single" in the sysvinit selection manually for both.
Note: WiFi users plug in a wired Ethernet cable and type dhclient. Addendum: Consider service netwrok-manager start for Wifi and/or Ethernet.
Note: Your / drive is usually /dev/sda1, replace the xx with your info from fdisk.
Note: -n is not the same as capital -N in wget -Nc. Use a lower-case L in fdisk -l. Lower o not zero in the mount command.
Note: Test known user login and if need be. Keys are <CLTRL>d to exit as user...
Set the stage:

fdisk -l
fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdxx 
mount -o remount,rw /
dhclient

login
rm /run/nologin

cd /usr/local/bin
wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi
chmod +x sgfxi
sgfxi -d
ADDENDUM: If you can't get Internet then issue sgfxi -dW and it will jut work if you previously downloaded the packages trying to install nvidia.
o 4. (or by /usr/local/bin/sgfxi -d). Agree to defaults and look for errors.
o 5. SHUTDOWN and go to GRUB: Highlight sysvinit again and temporary edit "e" to add 'single' (after the nomodeset etc) once again & F10
o 6. Mount again?
Get er' done!

mount -o remount,rw /
dhclient
/usr/local/bin/sgfxi -d
...a second time! [If it said to, due to previous Noveao-pooey] Herto forthwit named no-view. :) Not good 3D, not good fallback. Throw up! BTW Nvidia should STEP UP!

o 7. Only slim display manager worked for me. Addendum: Lightdm is working for me now. If you had no serious errors and still get no X then test your display managers (slim lighdm sddm gdm kdm) with...
NOTE: Just use Lightdm for Mate, GDM for Gnome, KDM for KDE. While these are supposed to coexist and you set only one to enabled, I had to remove slim.
Pick one:

apt-get purge <your_display_manager>
apt-get install <your_display_manager>

service <your_display_manager> restart
service <your_display_manager> stop

poweroff
You're welcome:
o 8. BOOT GRUB: (Hold down LEFT shift if needed) Pick only the new sysvinit kernel (now with kernel matched nvidia installed) to boot; instead of the GRUB auto default 9.0 (systemd) that can't start nvidia yet.

This will get you rolling until upgrades fix all. [Solution above written Jun 25 2017]. :D

ADDENDUM: You can substitute the debian way of converting from Nouveau to nvidia-driver; but all that seems easier with sgfxi -d. It does so much (less to do) and speeds it up with less to forget. See sgfxi -h for more options also. Plus the -d switch is implementing the debian way (anyway) and also makes it auto upgradeable with the rest of your upgrades. It's like Debian's "jockey".
Last edited by neodeb on 2017-06-28 05:58, edited 61 times in total.
Open is freedom.

Wheelerof4te

#16 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Pick only the new sysvinit kernel (now with kernel matched nvidia installed) to boot; instead of the GRUB auto default 9.0 (systemd) that can't start nvidia yet.
Now you make me wonder if Devuan could run it without all those nifty hacks :lol:

Good job.

kdo

#17 Post by kdo »

neodeb wrote:You're welcome. Add that nomodeset into your boot line (end) at GRUB and at least boot emergency mode without black screen.
Added link above.

Addendum: See solution posted below

Another computer of mine with CLEAN installed Deb 9.0.1 stable (from live amd64 mate) also failed to load nvidia just the same. However re-installation of Noveau (no-way) worked there (without good acceleration though).

Meanwhile my main system is Deb 9 STABLE with no Noveau (WETF) and Nvidia. Just emergency mode text and that starts with no net and read only. Yea.
Hi everyone
Thanks
As i told before non of these commands are effective
Nomodset and acpi

kdo

#18 Post by kdo »

neodeb wrote:op: I'm not running KDE so perhaps the op'er would remove KDE from the op. However If preferred I will start another thread. I just thought all these tips I learned were worth sharing for those with Deb 9 and nvidia not working. Serious 9.0 failures indeed.

THE PROCESS ...mostly done. How I got there (see solution post below)...
Debian 9.0 stretch/stable, dist-upgraded (not recommended yet), 4.9 kernel (sysv!!! fallback), Nvidia legacy 304 full 3D support installed the debian way that should auto-up with new kernels. Booting into GUI and user as normal. Using Slim display manager (only because others failed restarting those display managers from my root tests). service <display_manager> restart DANG! It's like running sid. I read a failure to login as user (check that if stuck at root console) is a kernel bug, placing a /run/nologin file. When removed rm /run/nologin will login to user again. So I decided to edit the alternative kernel in GRUB for 4.9, sysv and manually add single to the end of that line (then hit F10) to boot that combo as SYSV+RECOVERY and not the "emergency mode". Now I purged and installed nvidia the debian way and with no errors it (for the first time) could immediately start X. service slim restart
If I now choose the alternative 4.9, sysv GRUB selection nvidia just works. I sign in to slim and finally have my normal (now Deb 9 mate amd64) desktop!

Are we trying to many new things at once?

Note: Oh yeah! I purposely broke my recommended rule of NOT installing anything (even stable) until it's been out for a month or three(on your main system). I said I'll fix it if there's a problem. GEESH! Better days.

Not at all it's the same problem (almost)let it be helpful for other people

New update:
I tried legacy mode
Remove and reinstall xserver and it's components manually
All of the desktops have the same problem for me

I will wait for next update or backports i guess its kernal problem

neodeb

#19 Post by neodeb »

op: Maybe if you removed KDE from your orig post title then my workaround solution would be better considered by all users. Not just KDE. Unless you're sure you're having a KDE specific issue, of course.

Yes, I think it is a kernel problem when running systemd and not sysvinit. nvidia works with sysvinit (for me). I tried systemd (nividia install) again today and it's still borked (text only).

op: I would be interested which errors you generally got; when you did the nvidia reinstall over the sysvinit with single (and nomodeset if black screen only). Did you try my prep and commands?

Trying later or with some other version is viable option as well. This is why everyone need to know... Just because something goes form beta (testing) to stable does NOT mean it's perfectly cooked. What is this, like day 5 for Deb 9.0. A fix will come soon. Just by upgrading.

I guess someone should ferret out why the fall-back (nouveau) is unreliable. It doesn't do fast 3D direct graphic well; but it would be nice to work as a fall-back with GUI. I'm TIRED!
Open is freedom.

neodeb

Re: Serious new problem with debian 9 and nvidia driver

#20 Post by neodeb »

The next day new kernels are out. It all works. ;)

If your nvidia still doesn't work then see my revised commands at the bottom of the first page. Hopefully something there will help.
Open is freedom.