Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Torbrowser on stretch??

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
zodac11

Torbrowser on stretch??

#1 Post by zodac11 »

When I download tor browser from the torproject page and click after extracting the main folders and files, nothing happens. Only "start-tor-browser.desktop" icon changes to "tor browser setup", but that is all.

I tried to install from Stretch backports but it seems the package does not exist there. I have been trying for hourse to install it and gave it up. Anyone had a better chance to install it?

Bulkley

Re: Torbrowser on stretch??

#3 Post by Bulkley »

It works for me. I have mine sitting in my ~/user/ and no part exists in root. Assuming that you have followed instructions properly you need to open Tor by shifting into ~/tor-browser_en-US/Browser and running ./start-tor-browser. All in one line looks like this:

Code: Select all

/home/[username]/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/./start-tor-browser

HuangLao

#4 Post by HuangLao »

tor should work from your /home/"user" folder it even tells you when to update it.

zodac11

#5 Post by zodac11 »

Lysander wrote:I found this after about a minute, let us know if you attempted the following:

https://wiki.debian.org/TorBrowser#Debi ... Stretch.22
Installed backport for strech but the error comes out as "Package torbrowser-launcher is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'torbrowser-launcher' has no installation candidate"

zodac11

#6 Post by zodac11 »

Bulkley wrote:It works for me. I have mine sitting in my ~/user/ and no part exists in root. Assuming that you have followed instructions properly you need to open Tor by shifting into ~/tor-browser_en-US/Browser and running ./start-tor-browser. All in one line looks like this:

/home/[username]/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/./start-tor-browser
The file "start-tor-browser.desktop" sits there but when I click it immediately changes to a different icon and the name of the file changes as well for "set up". Nothing happens though.

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

zodac11 wrote:The file "start-tor-browser.desktop" sits there but when I click it immediately changes to a different icon and the name of the file changes as well for "set up". Nothing happens though.
Don't click anything. Use the command line instructions (CLI) in a terminal emulator.

zodac11

#8 Post by zodac11 »

Bulkley wrote:
zodac11 wrote:The file "start-tor-browser.desktop" sits there but when I click it immediately changes to a different icon and the name of the file changes as well for "set up". Nothing happens though.
Don't click anything. Use the command line instructions (CLI) in a terminal emulator.
No chance still. The interesting thing is there are no "torbrowser-launcher" type of a file in the folders. Just "start-torbrowser.desktop" file that seems to be some kind of a launcher.

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

Try going to tor-browser_en-US and clicking on the Tor Browser icon.

Check the instructions here.

The instructions for starting Tor has changed to

./start-tor-browser.desktop
They added .desktop to what I posted.

zodac11

#10 Post by zodac11 »

Bulkley wrote:Try going to tor-browser_en-US and clicking on the Tor Browser icon.

Check the instructions here.

The instructions for starting Tor has changed to

./start-tor-browser.desktop
They added .desktop to what I posted.
Thank you very much help for and your patience. All works now!