Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Serious new problem with debian 9 and nvidia driver

Need help with peripherals or devices?
kdo

Re: Serious new problem with debian 9 and nvidia driver

#21 Post by kdo »

neodeb wrote:The next day new kernels are out. It all works. ;)

If your nvidia still doesn't work then see my revised commands at the bottom of the first page. Hopefully something there will help.
Hi again and thanks a lot i mean A Lot
Specially for heads up

After installing the new updates+nvidia driver i get these:

I seriously need a very stable distro for now(i have calculation that will take days i dont want to have any crashes during this time)

Do u have anything in mind? Or should i wait again for next update?(9.1)

As the first post photo i got:
ACPI error:AE not found

kdo

#22 Post by kdo »

This is a kernel problem and its still there :
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413342

kdo

#23 Post by kdo »

Ok finally i managed to install everything using:

Debian9+Gnome+bumblebee+nvidia driver+Complete cuda package(900MB)

But i only was able to log in using wayland not x and it was stupidly slow and synaptic and libre office had problem with wayland

If i choose x it will stock on login screen and only way to restart is hard reset

neodeb

#24 Post by neodeb »

I just found your post. I'm not sure where you should go next; but great job getting this far! Never give up.

If you require even better stability you could punt back to Debian 8.8 (via live and installer for KDE if you want) for a month or so. Especially if you have stable work to do.

A lot of good and respected work has been done to test Deb 9 into it's "stable" rendition; but is brand new and just now hitting the masses.

When Deb stable is just a few days old then it is stable on the devs computers. The masses bugs then make it better for all the many multiples (exponentially) of hardware combinations and personal UI preferences. Therefore for mission critical applications it's best to wait a month or two and that takes self-control.

Plus, things are getting more complex and numerous, not less.

Plus, a major dist release means core/foundational improvements (never stuck in the past) and these also require more vetting.

All that said: You'll never find better than Debian. If you *construct it from your GOOD choices.

If there are any brand new GNU/Linux users seeing this then start with Linux Mint Mate (EASY) for about a year. Then install Debian (hard the FIRST time) and make it the exact *way you want it.
Open is freedom.