Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Stretch Booted into emergency mode. /home gone.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
upStretchdownStretch

Debian Stretch Booted into emergency mode. /home gone.

#1 Post by upStretchdownStretch »

Hello,

I have a Debian Stretch AMD_64 system. We had used it for a couple of weeks with no problems. Today my son shut the computer off without shutting it down while I was doing some extensive work in a virtual machine. It (The Debian Stretch computer) reboot fine, unfortunately the BSD virtual machine was fried, but everything else was okay. I'm not sure if one of the kids shut it down again, but on the next reboot the computer booted into "Emergency Mode." and it seems that the home partition is completely gone. I set it up with separate /var /temp and /home partitions when I set it up. When I run df -h the home partition is not even included in the list. I have used Linux extensively for 2 years, and have been strictly with Debian for about 6 months, and I have never seen an "Emergency Mode" with any distro. With my experience, I am starting to think that the hard drive went out. The hard drive did fail on this computer about a month ago. The hard drive that was in it was a caviar green, I replaced it with a WD caviar blue. If it were just me using the computer, it would never get shut down, but things happen I guess.

Thank you,

Gabriel.

dasein

Re: Debian Stretch Booted into emergency mode. /home gone.

#2 Post by dasein »

First things first...
upStretchdownStretch wrote:If it were just me using the computer, it would never get shut down, but things happen I guess.
You can't afford to be all casual and cavalier about "dirty" shutdowns. If there is something preventing you from teaching your children not to hit the power switch, then you should probably institute a more stringent backup regimen.
upStretchdownStretch wrote:When I run df -h the home partition is not even included in the list.
That doesn't actually tell you what you think it does.
upStretchdownStretch wrote:With my experience, I am starting to think that the hard drive went out.
Based on what exactly?

Post pertinent diagnostic output (run as root):

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
cat /etc/fstab
blkid

upStretchdownStretch

#3 Post by upStretchdownStretch »

Basically what I'm saying is, for as long as I have been a Linux user, and now have 3 computers running Debian, this is my first major problem. I am not able to directly copy and paste out of the machine, but fdisk -l says that Sector 2 does not start on physical sector boundary. Looks like the problem is actually the root partition /etc/fstab shows that there is an error in the root partition and suggests remounting. It shows errors=remount-ro. All I can say is that blkid shows no errors.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

upStretchdownStretch wrote:...for as long as I have been a Linux user, and now have 3 computers running Debian, this is my first major problem.
So therefore your HDD is defective?
upStretchdownStretch wrote:I am not able to directly copy and paste out of the machine...
Oh of course you are. http://www.sysresccd.org/ has details.
upStretchdownStretch wrote:fdisk -l says...
Need actual output, not your impressions.
upStretchdownStretch wrote:blkid shows no errors.
Which would be great except blkid doesn't test for errors.

If you won't provide information, no one can help you.

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

upStretchdownStretch wrote:t fdisk -l says that Sector 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
this sounds like unrelated to your issue
Looks like the problem is actually the root partition /etc/fstab shows that there is an error in the root partition and suggests remounting. It shows errors=remount-ro. All I can say is that blkid shows no errors.
Given that neither blkid or fstab ever (under any circumstances) show "errors", you might just want to post the output.

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

You should run a fsck.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

upStretchdownStretch

#7 Post by upStretchdownStretch »

Thanks all for the help. I ended up fixing it by getting the root partition remounted.