Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

FireFox can not display website css properly

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ardawan

FireFox can not display website css properly

#1 Post by ardawan »

my firefox browser cant display the input text in youtube search bar or other search bar such as debian website.
When im typing is like same color as the background and invisible but when i select i can see my text in the blue selected color.

Is this only my problem ? how to fix?

I'm sorry im unable to upload any image in this forum due to this message

Code: Select all

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

dasein

Re: FireFox can not display website css properly

#2 Post by dasein »

ardawan wrote:Is this only my problem ? how to fix?
The problem isn't Firefox, it's your GTK theme. The fix is to pick a different theme.
ardawan wrote:I'm sorry im unable to upload any image in this forum due to this message

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=123831

ardawan

#3 Post by ardawan »

But this is the standard theme after installation.
How can I change the theme? Do you have any tutorial or reference?

cchip

#5 Post by cchip »

dasein wrote: The problem isn't Firefox, it's your GTK theme. The fix is to pick a different theme.
It's a website bug actually. If the designer wants to override system colors, both the foreground and background colours should be changed, not just the background. For example, packages.debian.org has this css:

input:focus {
	background-color:#FFFFCB;

}
If the system colours have dark background with light font, then it is very hard to see anything you type into the search input box.

TonyT

#6 Post by TonyT »

Not a website bug either.
The default browser theme will use the site designer's css styles and render content accordingly.
No browser theme should ever style page content, forms, etc.
Best to just leave that alone.
A browser should be able to override site styles for font-size & accessibility viewing.

cchip

#7 Post by cchip »

TonyT wrote:No browser theme should ever style page content, forms, etc.
Certainly should. The browser must have a default style. The web designer can then override those defaults, but should take some care doing so.

TonyT

#8 Post by TonyT »

cchip wrote:
TonyT wrote:No browser theme should ever style page content, forms, etc.
Certainly should. The browser must have a default style. The web designer can then override those defaults, but should take some care doing so.
As a Web developer I disagree.
The browser theme should style its user interface only.
That is what almost all available browser themes do anyway.
The browser theme should have the capability of altering page content, which is already does have, and is limited to resolutions, sizes and colors NOT specified in the document code.

Gone are the days of plain html coded text websites.

A properly coded browser skin or window manager theme should not ever, by default, override the content styles specified in Web documents. To do so directly conflicts with W3C standards. GTK and QT themes which do that are poorly coded by lazy folk.