Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch upgrade : KDE 5 issue with OpenGL 2

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
raphipons

Stretch upgrade : KDE 5 issue with OpenGL 2

#1 Post by raphipons »

Hello,

I tried the upgrade from Jessie to Stretch on my Asus laptop (dual boot with Windows), but after reboot I had a very bad surprise with new KDE named Plasma.

Once loged, nothing happend after several minutes this error window appeared :

Plasma is unable to start as it could not correctly use OpenGL 2.
Please check that your graphic drivers are set up correctly.

The glxinfo command didn't work well, like you can see here :

Error: unable to open display

However, here's the result of lsh -class display :

Code: Select all

-* display
   description : VGA compatible controller
   produit: HD Graphics 5500
   fabriquant: Intel Corporation
   identifiant matériel : 2
   information bus: pci@0000:00:02.0
   version: 09
   bits: 64 bits
   horloge: 33MHz
   fonctionnalités : vga_controller_bus_master cap_list rom
   configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
   ressources: irq:48 mémoire:a1000000-a1ffffff mémoire:b0000000-bfffffff portE:S:4000(taille=64) mémoire:c0000-dffff
*-display
   description: 3D controller
   produit: GM108M [GeForce 940M]
   fabriquant: NVIDIA Corporation
   identifiant matériel: 0
   information bus: pci@0000:03:00.0
   version: a2
   bits: 64 bits
   horloge: 33MHz
   fonctionnalités: bus_master cap_list rom
   configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
   ressources: irq:16 mémoire:a2000000-a2ffffff mémoire:c0000000-cfffffff mémoire:d0000000-d1ffffff portE/S:3000(taille=128) mémoire:a3000000-a307ffff
Do you know how I can check (and eventually update) the famous graphic drivers in order to fix Plasma ?

Thanks in advance !

pendrachken

Re: Stretch upgrade : KDE 5 issue with OpenGL 2

#2 Post by pendrachken »

Looks like an Optimus system. Check the Debian wiki for install instructions for setting up Optimus.

Either that or see if you have a BIOS /UEFI setup to disable one or the other of the cards and then make sure you have the drivers installed ( the Intel card should likely already have drivers in kernel )
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

HD 5500 seems to be 5th-generation Intel Broadwell hardware, so doesn't need any nonfree firmware, as far as I can tell. So I'm rather mystified, myself.

Are you running the Stretch kernel? (uname -r) (Since some people have upgraded to Stretch, but forgot to upgrade the kernel...)
MX Linux packager and developer

Eck

#4 Post by Eck »

Haven't posted in a long time but read here often.

I have that vga chipset on my laptop with the Intel Broadwell 5500 and Nvidia Optimus g-force chip as well. Don't know what would have happened if I hadn't aptitude install bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-kernel-dkms, but perhaps when an Optimus laptop is used the default Intel needs something installed that sets the 2 chips working together correctly. I just start programs where I want to use Nvidia with optimus-run then the program path and name or just revise the kde menu entry for it to include that in the start command for the software.

I'd make sure whether it's Nvidia or ati and definately read the wiki.debian.org entry for bumblebee.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM